THR dizmom1's recovery thread

dizmom1

Country
United States United States
Surgery done! Yeah! A little rough with post anesthesia nausea but made it home after spending one night in the hospital. Pain under control, have found ice to be so very helpful. Trying not to push too hard, taking it one day at a time. PT going well, three days a week outpatient, nice to get out of the house too! Looking forward to getting these staples out next week, incision looking good. So very happy with the results. No idea how much pain osteoarthritis was causing.

Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
You're doing well. Please read the Recovery Guidelines below. I think you'll find the articles informative and helpful as you move through recovery. Stop by often. We'd love to encourage and support you as you're healing.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Yes. Isn't it amazing when you discover that bone crunching OA pain is GONE!
Recovery Business is just that..Recovery.
Recovering from surgery, from bad gait, from decreased mobility..
Recovering our lives is the Best Part.
Stay patient..and the payoff will be huge!
Hope today is a restful day.:ice:

Congrats on your surgery and positive recovery so far. Sounds like things are going well so far for you. I had surgery on 7/30/18 so at the 4.5 week mark. Things get a little better each day. It is amazing how the pain we lived with is gone post surgery. Yes there is some minor pain from healing and the surgery itself but that deep killer joint related pain is history. Best wishes for a continued steady recovery. It's a process and it takes time but we will get there.

@dizmom1 Welcome to the other side! Yes, ice is your best friend now. Ice and elevate as much as you can. It's a natural pain reliever. I look forward to following your journey.

Dropping by to say Hi :hi:
Wishing you comfort and a nice holiday weekend.
Hope today is a good one!
@dizmom1

Welcome to recovery. Get as much rest as possible the first couple weeks.

Thankful that recovery continues to go well. Staples out, what a relief. Borrowed an ice machine from a friend, what an absolutely wonderful machine. Ice continues to be my best friend. After reading so many posts from others recovering, working hard to keep activity reasonable and continue to rest and recover. What a wonderful forum.

Hello,
Wonderful news, you're doing great! So nice to have those staples out, I'll bet.
I didn't have an ice machine but have heard so many people sing it's praises. It's wise you're still icing.
We're thankful you are finding the forum useful. Please continue to stop by, we'd love to follow your progress.
A great week to you!
@dizmom1

Glad to hear things going well...yes, blessed ice!
Slow definitely wins this race.
Hope your week is happy and healing...:) :-) (:

Over 4 weeks now, continue to follow all those recovering and shouting hooray to all! Totally wondering how anyone feels or is doing incision massage. Went to PT today and was asked if I had started massaging the incision....it all looks good, as far as incisions go..... is still sensitive. Not too keen on the idea..... thoughts?

My outpatient PT person did gentle incision massage at my PT visits. Just through the clothing in the areas that were bumpy feeling, and I think it helped. I continue to put Vitamin E on mine several times a week and rub it in gently, but don't really do massage. I'm 9 weeks out from surgery and my scar is healing nicely. But I had one of those "zippers" (not staples or stitches), and I think the scars turn out pretty good with those. My surgeon said I wouldn't need to do anything with it after getting the zipper off.

Happy Four Week Anniversary!
I experienced the same as BarbyDoll.
My PT gently massaged around the outside of my incision also, through clothing, as it supposedly assists in smoothing the area. I also massaged Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E into the area after I was 2-3 months post op. I had dissolvable stitches.
Have a nice weekend!
@dizmom1

Thank you BarbyDoll and Layla for the information. Did not think of using the Palmer’s Cocoa Butter with vitamin E. I had staples so the incision is a little “bumpy”. Will definitely wait a few more weeks though 2-3 months sounds much more reasonable.

:hi: @dizmom1
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well for you.
Please leave us an update next time you stop by, we'd love to read of your progress.
Wishing you all the best as you continue on your healing journey!

Thank you @Layla for the Two Month Happy Anniversary! Actually had my 8 week appointment with my OS and all looks great on the xray’s! I have continued with physical therapy twice a week, more for mental health to get out of the house. I do feel so very fortunate that the healing process for me has gone so well. My problem is being a “patient” patient in knowing healing occurs at its own individual rate. Was doing yoga prior to the surgery, anxious to return to my practice knowing I need to make modifications. Big sigh......I am truly thankful with my progress knowing others may not be as fortunate.

It certainly gets old...this recovery business.
Good for you for resolving to be patient...
Then you can get back to your life in a Big Way!:tada:

Nice update, thanks!
It's always reassuring to hear all is well from the OS.
I think you're wise in being patient. It will pay off.

Many members return to yoga and I think the modifications are minimal.
I know (stellaluna) who experienced bilateral THR went back as did (luvsibes) if you are interested in checking out their threads.

You're doing great! Stay in touch and enjoy the week. :)
@dizmom1

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well.
Let us know how you're doing next time you stop by.
A Happy Thanksgiving to you!
@dizmom1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom