Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

@Onestepatatime You had a long, long drive there and back, plus the interviews, plus primping for the interviews. I am guessing your good knee is not accustomed to all that activity, nor your muscles around your revision.
You know what to do, just hope you feel better tomorrow.
Good luck on your video interview tomorrow!

Thanks. I am just feeling discouraged by how sore I feel today. But yes, tomorrow is a new day.

Jamie, Josephine, CricketHip, Layla, VSlowLife and everyone else:)

I am continuing to have pretty bad pain in my groin and thigh. It flairs up with stairs, getting in and out of car, and walking on uneven surfaces. I had a really busy week of interviews, which is great. I had one yesterday that involved taking a train into Hoboken, a lot of stairs, but not that much walking. After the interview, I had a two-block walk to the train station and was in tears.
The obvious observation is I overdid it (again). But the groin pain is throbbing and the thigh pain feels like if I could just release the pressure....

I was reading about groin pain at this point in recovery, and there seem to be several reasons this could be happening. I will call the surgeon's office, as I need the peace of mind I can work soon. I ice the area ALOT. Like in all my spare time.

The good news is the spine epidural worked wonders! So that is huge.

Would really appreciate any insights anyone could provide. I am getting worried.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you're struggling once again. I know it must be frustrating and worrisome.

My best guess is you're overdoing it and you really need to carefully mete out your activity. Josephine is currently away from the forum recovering from a knee revision. She often reminded us that you don't necessarily feel pain, until you stop. Sometimes even a couple days later. Once you overdo it, it can take weeks to recover.

Since you're only five months post op, you're really early into recovery in the entire scheme of things. There is a lot of time for improvement as it can take a full year and even longer for some. I'd try really hard not to set myself up for over activity by soliciting rides when you can, avoiding excessive stair climbing and long walks. Once you're pain free, ease into activity slowly and steadily. Taking it easy for days, then suddenly overdoing it will never bring a good result.

For now, I'd ice, elevate, take OTC pain relievers as needed and consider checking in with your OS, or a member of his care team, to achieve the peace of mind and reassurance you're seeking. If they glean something worrisome through conversation they will advise accordingly.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend!

That was quite a workout for you. Sometimes when you suddenly increase your activity level, you'll get the pain of overdoing things. Once your pain has settled, try gradually adding some of the activities that got you the pain this time - more walking and stairs. I suspect the problem here is that it was just too much all at once.

But I do agree that having a chat with your surgeon is a great idea, if for no other reason than your own peace of mind. Remember to write out your concerns and questions before you go so you don't forget anything.

So glad the spinal epidural worked!
I agree, not a bad idea to call your surgeon and get some piece of mind, like you are thinking.
I am just a casual observer, but it seems you have had two surgeries in the same hip about 2 1/2 years apart. I am just thinking this second surgery may take a bit more love and gentle cajoling before you are are feeling top shelf again. Maybe try using stations that have handicap access? I know in NYC they are in the process of renovating some stations to make them more handicap accessible.
And one thing I learned is those Lyft taxis do not necessarily come to where you are, but want you to meet them a couple or more blocks away ( not fun with a persnickety hip). And they will drop you off a couple of blocks before your final destination, just to accommodate taking a shorter route to get to another customer. Just a heads up.
As for flaring up with getting in and out of a car, maybe try getting in by backing up to the seat. Sit. Then put your knees together and swing your legs in using your abdominal muscles, if that does not hurt you. I have a wedge in my car to keep my hips elevated, and I use a beaded seat cover so I can swivel. I sewed the two together. I have the same issue pre-surgery (getting in and out) and that is how I was taught to stress my joint less. It has worked for me. Now it’s very automatic to me.
Do let us know how you are doing. Hoping for the best, for you!

@Jamie @Layla @VSlowLife
Thanks for the quick responses, really appreciate it. Given my history of arthritis and complications, I will call Monday. It feels like an impingement, and I googled groin pain and read about psoas tendonitis. PT showed me early on how to get in the car properly. And I just got a Honda with a higher seat, I had a sedan and this one is an SUV model.
It would not surprise me if I have tendonitis. I don't do normal. I am suffering from anxiety of feeling so lousy after interviews and praying I feel ok to work soon. I need the money....

Oh no, @Onestepatatime I'm so sorry you are still worrying so. It does sound as if your interview sessions were pretty strenuous and lengthy, though. I agree that a call in to your OS would be much more reassuring for you.
Maybe an actual hands on appointment if you can get lucky enough to be seen quickly.

I don't know if this is reassuring or not, but will tell you that I was out for the day with husband and this morning I was trying on a few pairs of shoes/boots- hoping to dress things up a bit- and just walking around for about ten minutes in a pair of them have my thigh muscles sore tonight! Especially that IT Band again.
I am finding several of my shoes aren't going to be going forward with me.. they are going right into the donation pile. :gaah:

So, just maybe it's the shoes on top of a rigorous day for you?

The good news is your back is improving! That is huge! Please let us know if you speak with your OS.. :console2:

@CricketHip
Hi. Yeah, I did not even mention my calves are really sore, despite that I wore really comfortable flats to the interview. About 10 years ago I had my closet customized to build shelves just for my shoe collection, lol. A majority of my shoes have been donated. Once I get a job, I may trade the shoe collection for pocketbooks. Those will always fit! These days Uggs are my go-to boots.
I had torn labrum surgery before the first hip replacement, and that is what this feels like. But don't they remove the labrum during hip replacement? And yes, interviewing is rigorous. The hiring manager said the next steps for yesterday's interview is to come back to Hoboken for a day to meet with key stakeholders. Sounds fancy, and total overkill.

@Onestepatatime
it sounds like you have some possible ideas to explore with your surgeon. This is good.

If they want you to meet with stake holders, it sounds like you are seriously being considered. Good luck!

Yes, I am under the impression that the labrum is no longer a part of us. :heehee:
I must say though, when I overdo things I still get some soreness in the groin area.. not nearly like a couple months ago but it does make me sit up and take notice.
In my case it leaves quickly though. Like maybe in a day.
I hope your discomfort leaves soon!!

I hear you about purses being the better choice. The boots that bothered me today? I've never enjoyed wearing, today was the final straw.. no more settling for uncomfy footwear.. lucky for us both there are many cute options with boots, booties and Uggs!
Take care of yourself.. good luck with contacting your OS and with this job prospect.

I saw the surgeon he’s sending me for bloodwork and an mri. He wants to rule out infection and tendon tears. He was not happy I have persistent groin and leg pain. And he said I pulled something in my calf. I’m going tomorrow up to lake placid for thanksgiving. I’ve been looking forward to days with my son. We go to Montreal for thanksgiving. Wish I felt better....

@Onestepatatime I am glad you saw your OS. It sounds like he did a thorough exam and has ordered appropriate testing so you can get some answers.
So sorry you have not gotten better. :sad:
In the mean time enjoy Lake Placid and Montreal. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and try not to worry until you know there is something to worry about.
I am really so sorry to hear about this, but so glad he took your concerns seriously.

I am so glad you got to see your OS.. good for him for ordering more specific tests..
I hope you can enjoy the time away with your son, just try to pace yourself. By now you are the Queen of Pacing, but I need to say it..

Happy Thanksgiving.. Prayers for a decrease in your discomfort :praying:

Good Morning,
I'm so sorry you continue to struggle. I'm sure it's frustrating and exhausting.
Thankfully your surgeon is beginning the process of ruling things out in an attempt to get to the origin of your pain. Prayers for answers and swift resolution.

Wishing you comfort over the holiday and good times with those you hold dear. Safe travels and Happy Thanksgiving!
@Onestepatatime

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for some good answers and a plan of action to get you healing. Enjoy Thanksgiving with your son, hopefully not too painful a trip for you.

How are you feeling @Onestepatatime? My pain is similar to yours and my surgeon mentioned tendinitis and possibly getting a cortisone injection down the track.
Did yo have your MRI yet?

Hello @Onestepatatime
Hoping your groin pain has lessened and that you have gotten an MRI to determine possible causes. Last you wrote you also had some promising interviews. Just thinking of you and hoping your pain has improved. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Take care.

Hi @321Evie and @Fit4Family,

I had the MRI last week, and am waiting for a call from the doctor's office with the results. My surgeon is OOO until after Christmas. Groin pain is still bad, but I personally cannot tell if it is tendon/muscle or not. My PT is perplexed too. Hopefully someone will call me back tomorrow.

I am quite busy with interviews! I thought it would be slow now, but it has really picked up. I really want to work for a hospital/healthcare system so hopefully one of those opportunities will pull through. I still wish I felt better, so I did not feel anxious about physically keeping up with the demands of a new job.

I am trying assorted herbal remedies to help with the arthritis flair ups. Every time it is going to snow or rain, it is difficult to get out bed and get going in the morning. Would love to know if anyone has had luck with anything?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads