Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

Wow, no tears or sucker rewards after the shot,
but a cute doctor to look at :eyebrows: Is he married? :wink:

Kidding aside, I sure hope the injection works for you. Wishing you all the best on your trip to Florida to spend time with your mom. I believe you're leaving tomorrow. I hope it all goes well for you, traversing the airports, flying, and your time there. I'll bet mom spoils you while you're visiting. I hope you're able to set your troubles aside while there, totally relax and come back feeling refreshed. Can't wait to hear all about it. Wishing you safe travels and wonderful memories to cherish upon your return.
Hugs :wave:
@Onestepatatime

How are you feeling today? I always find the day after an epidural to be a little wonky.. But I hope you aren't feeling this way. But then again, you are familiar with them, right? So you know what to expect.
Please remind yourself of all of the precautions Jamie gave you about traveling. You will be so glad when you get there and can enjoy the pool,. warm sunshine and best of all, your mothers care and pampering.
I read your post about swimming and then biking.. I think you are seeing improvements with your hip, don't you?

CricketHip, Layla, Jamie, and all......
Thanks all for the well wishes. I made it to Orlando safe and sound. It felt surreal traveling with wheelchair transport, but it worked out great. Jetblue did not have curbside wheelchair assistance, but i had the driver from car service take my luggage to curbside check-in. Then the man who checked my luggage was so nice, he took me inside and made sure I got a wheelchair quickly. And then the same in Orlando. I traveled from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm when all was said and done. Speaking of, my body is done. But I am so glad to be here. It will be nice to have meals made, and not be alone all day.

The epidural was uneventful, but then the day after I got a rash and my face looked like it had a bad burn. I called the doctor, they said it is a side effect of the injection. Many Benadryl later it has calmed down. I am seeing slow improvement on the hip. But finally, it is moving in a better direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do that too! I get so flushed and red that my face almost looks purple.. and blotchy. I drink copious amounts of water to help flush it through me ( dr's advice) and benadryl. I can so relate.. mine is so bad that I go into hiding for a couple days. The Dr began giving me a little less oof a dose. that has helped.

Glad to hear you are there in Florida, safe and sound. You so deserve a nice break.
Have fun!

It is a bad side effect! Did it take over a week for the effect to kick in? Today my skin just feels creepy crawly.

It's a horrible side effect, I agree.. I don't mind the epidural.. it's uncomfortable but it's doable..but OMG, that flushing and blotchy-ness and I also get a horrible headache.
Creepy crawlyskin and the skin on my face feels so tight.. ugh.

Im not sure what effect to kick in that you are asking about? The epidural to take effect? I've had some give instant improvement.. like in 36 hours and other times it takes a week where it slowly improves.

So glad you are safely in Florida!!! Bravo for you for making everything work with the airline. That would be a looooong day for anyone and I'm sure you'll be needing a couple of days of extra rest. Mom will be happy to spoil you, I bet! Have a wonderful visit and travel home safely. You know the ropes now.

Hi @Onestepatatime
It's good to hear you made it safely to Orlando and that all worked out well in the airport. Now you can take a deep breath, relax and enjoy some special time with your mom.

Sorry to hear about the reaction from the injection, but at least you're feeling some relief in the hip. May it only get better.
Happy Thursday!

Hope you're having fun. Safe travels home!
You'll have to let us know how all the travel went, airports, planes etc
And of course we want to hear about all the fun, or rest, you enjoyed.
Will look forward to hearing from you soon. :wave:
@Onestepatatime

@Layla and hi everyone!
I’m back and it was a good week away. Weather was great. Traveling with handicap wheelchair assistance worked out very well. My mom and her husband had all these activities planned for me. It was great having a change of scenery and being with others. But I had a hard time being out and about every day. We saw a concert, ate out several times, went to a game night, and of course the pool. The trip home had a 3 hour delay. It’s 3:30 am and I’m still up in pain. It’s going to take me a few days to mend from the travels. But it was good seeing her, she was so happy I was there for my birthday too.
The good news is the spine epidural really helped!!! Now I just need to get hip pain under control again.

:hi: @Onestepatatime
It's wonderful to read you had such a nice time and navigating the airport and all went well. Taking the time to rest after a flurry of activity sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I'm sorry you're in pain and hope it eases soon. Thankfully the spine epidural has brought you some relief.

It's a special day....Happy Four Month Anniversary! Do something special and give yourself the gift of R&R. You've earned it.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend! :)

Last edited:
@VSlowLife
Thanks for checking in! I’m hanging in there. The good news is I find I can do more in a day, but the more I do the more sore I am. I’m really hoping and praying I get a job and am able to work full time in December. This is a tough recovery. Not as bad as my knee but it’s up there. I think my good knee has arthritis advancing. But I can’t deal with that now! Tomorrow is my second back epidural.
That’s my exciting life right now, lol.

You’re welcome! I have come to realize it’s a delicate dance, this recovery business I read about, but hopefully the soreness is a sign you are slowly building more strength. You have made it to four months, so I need to congratulate you. :flwrysmile:
It seems your revision is going well. Maybe the good knee is just adjusting to you getting better on your right side?
Good luck on your epidural!

Hi @Onestepatatime
Wondering how you're doing over the past week.
I hope things are beginning to look up for you. I'm sorry to hear about your knee. Hopefully it stays tolerable for a good long time.
Will look forward to an update when you have time.
Have a nice week!

Hi @Layla and all my other Bonesmart friends,

So, I am up to my eyeballs in interviews, which is great news! But ()and there is always a but...) I had a long interview day a few hours from my house. I met with 8 people over the course of 5 hours. I went out the night before. I woke up today really in pain, in my groin and radiating down my thigh. I do not know if this is a normal setback after the travels, or if I did something. And the "good knee" is painful on the inside of the knee, so that cannot be good. I have been icing all day and was too tired to even get out of pajamas, lol. Guess I will see what tomorrow brings. I am just nervous about how I will feel after other interview days, and then starting a new job.

too tired to even get out of pajamas

A clue that you drove right into the ODIC.

I had a long interview day a few hours from my house. I met with 8 people over the course of 5 hours. I went out the night before. I woke up today really in pain, in my groin and radiating down my thigh. I do not know if this is a normal setback after the travels, or if I did something

You're a wise woman, I'm betting you do know. Going out the night before a big day that involved a long commute, the normal stress involved in interviewing...meeting with eight strangers over the course of five hours trying to be your best self, then ruminating over it all the way home sounds exhausting!

You may very well be tired after other interview days if they're as involved as the one you've described. Please cut yourself some slack. You are only four and a half months out from a revision. It's going to take more time. All you can do is your best to not bite off more than you can chew. You're still a patient, really, so now you have to muster up some patience so you're a patient, patient. :heehee: You'll get there, I know you will.
Sending hugs and wishes for your comfort. It will all work out eventually.

Thanks. I did not know if I should call the surgeon tomorrow and get looked at. This job would entail me relocating back to the area in NY I grew up in. Tomorrow is a video interview, so at least I do not have to leave the house for that, and can wear sweat pants and a jacket:dancy:

That's certainly your choice and you can always call and run your symptoms and activity level by them to see if they concur and offer reassurance, but unless you're in serious pain and its escalating, I'd try some dedicated rest, sleep and icing for another day or two. It's up to you...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back