Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

I'm sorry, have no idea what they are looking for either. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, keep us posted with what you find out. Hopefully no more surgery. :fingersx:
:angel:

@Onestepatatime Yes, 16 months is enough time one would think and you have instrumentation. I have no rods, no screws, just a cage that dissolved as the fake bone grew. My surgery was 12 years ago.
I hope further testing will determine what is causing this new pain. The back can be such a delicate thing.

I tend to agree and hope with @Elf1 that there may be irritation and time may heal it. Frustrating, after all you have been through, but you are taking steps in the right direction, and putting the wheels in motion to get answers.

Hi All,
I saw my hip surgeon today he thinks the pain is back related as well. My hip pain gets aggravated when I do more than two errands. Getting in and out of the car is rough. But he said that’s normal.
I’m getting an endoscopy tomorrow bc it seems medication has given me an ulcer. This surgery is the gift that keeps giving. Got the cat scan done today too, and see the spine surgeon next Monday.
Still pounding the pavement for jobs. I might go to Florida and stay with my mom for a week. Let her do cooking etc. her husband is an excellent cook. I’m just wondering how to get on a plane feeling like this? Travel handicap? Just a lot to deal with.

I saw my hip surgeon today he thinks the pain is back related as well. My hip pain gets aggravated when I do more than two errands. Getting in and out of the car is rough. But he said that’s normal.
Did your surgeon mention psoas tightness/irritation as a possibility?
I know my lower back issues are affected by this and the getting in and out of car is a possible red flag in my opinion.
You are not that far out of revision and the dislocation...but I do wonder if a properly mindful PT or massage therapist could help with this?

Hope you find answers and keep asking the questions...I have had to have a few tune ups regarding SI joint and lower back issues that at first was not very hopeful about it being very helpful.
Amazing how much our gait affects the muscle and the muscle affects the gait also.
:fingersx: for answers.
Hopefully someone will weigh in on some travel recommendations.

@Onestepatatime Are you getting in and out of the car they way you did before THR, at this point? Glad you are doing what needs doing to take care of you.

I’m getting an endoscopy tomorrow bc it seems medication has given me an ulcer.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this on top of all else. Wishing you comfort and peace as you go through the procedure. You have a lot on your plate. Wondering if some mom love is just what you need right now. I guess we're never too old to be comforted by our parents when times get rough. Prayers for all and brighter days ahead. Hugs :console2:
@Onestepatatime

Hi, @Mojo333, @CricketHip @Layla @Elf1 @VSlowLife et all, I saw my spine surgeon today. He read the CT and he said the fusion is healing, and looks on track. That the pain is likely from the hip revision and dislocation. He said I am ok to pursue pain management therapies. So I rescheduled my epidural for the 21st. The back pain has still been awful, but icing and heat help a lot. So it seems I just need to wait, and heal more. I wish I had a magic pain management therapy!

I just want to resume my normal life again. Work full-time, have a social life, etc. If I do too much in a day, I still end up in a decent amount of pain. And then not working, I have no money to really go out anyway. Tomorrow I have PT, then want to get to the gym to do arm exercises and use the jacuzzi. My friends asked if I want to go out to dinner and trivia night, and I think physically it might be too much. Plus the money. Just trying to stay positive, which is easier said than done. I also want to start dating again. Guess I can use this as an opportunity to say I have a lot to look forward to.

@Onestepatatime So glad to hear your fusion is still healing and nothing worse! Glad the ice and heat are helping.
Maybe you can go out to an early happy hour, and get a half price dish? I never liked drinking much and would hold a dollar and ask the bartender for a glass of water with a twist and give him/her the dollar. That way it is an early event and you still get to go out a little.
At 52 you have much to look forward to.

Hello and a Happy Saturday to you :wave:
Great news from the spine doctor on the fusion healing. Hopefully you find relief soon from the pain you're dealing with.

My heart goes out to you in simply wanting your life back. With the pressure of a job search hanging over your head, concerns over finances and trying to heal from a revision and subsequent dislocation, you have a lot on your plate. It's only been a little over three months even though I'm sure it feels like much longer. There's still much healing going on and I'll bet it's difficult to be patient when you have additional concerns / worries.

Would it be too much for you to invite friends over for a Happy Hour one weekend night, where you each comtribute an appetizer to share? May not be your idea of entertaining but I'm sure your friends would be willing participants knowing they could spend time with you in a place where you're most comfortable right now...your home. It wouldn't cost a lot either. Possibly it's time for a break away from it all through that visit with your mom you mentioned earlier. It may feel good to plan something and escape from home for a time leaving all your concerns behind.

Best Wishes for healing and relief from pain. Know that we're here for you.
Hopefully things begin falling into place soon.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend!
@Onestepatatime

I do hope you can stay positive...I know it has been quite the trial.

Sending all the best mojo your way.:angel:

Has anyone else experienced not being able to lift their leg several months post surgery? I still am having huge difficulty tying my shoelace, raising my leg to put pants on, etc. I do not recall having this bad an issue with the initial replacement. This recovery is a bear. The hardest part is not knowing when I can get through a full day without pain that knocks me off my feet.
I agree, a trip to Florida would be nice. I guess I would have to travel with handicap arrangements through the airline. I did not go out last night. I was feeling too sore and didn't want to push it. I like the idea of just having friends over.

On another note, I am going to force myself to practice gratitude daily because there are still many things to be grateful for. I am improving albeit at a snails pace. Some days I feel weepy wondering if this is as good as recovery will get. But I will heal much faster with a positive outlook...

Hello @Onestepatatime

I am so sorry to read about all your challenges. I have many of the same lingering issue. I too had two surgeries and a fracture to contend with which has me quite delayed. Yes, to both hard to lift leg off ground and car is still my biggest limit as far as range of motion goes.

Two stretches I find very helpful for improving my ROM.

• Lay on stomach on bed. Head flat to side. Use yoga belt or strap looped around each foot, alternate. Pull heal to buttocks for a good stretch. Not so much that it hurts, but I feel it from my knee all the way up thigh. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Repeat each leg 3 times. Then do good leg. Alignment has to be thought about constantly while walking. My lazy side doesn’t work as hard so I can get pains in all kinds of places because as Mojo says gate is off.

• Another one that helps. Lean with your back against a kitchen counter. Lean enough that you feel front groin muscles gently stretch. Legs should be 10 to 12 inches apart. You can keep hand behind you on counter for balance. I do this multiple times a day. Help elongate my spine and remind my stomach muscles to work harder.

My heart goes out to you with your longing for your normal life back. I can very much relate. We are all here for you. It will get better. ❤️

@Onestepatatime For goodness sakes! I've missed so much with your recovery. Well, I am so pleased to hear the fusion isn't failing, that is a huge relief. Huge!

You are right in saying that this has been the gift that just keeps on giving. :console2:
It will be very interesting to see how the epidural affects things. Hopefully it clears up some of the lingering issues.

I love your thoughts about practicing gratitude.. it is so helpful. I did that at the beginning of my first hip's issues and have continued it going forward. I think it is a necessity for coping in the world we live in today.

Has anyone in your medical care group suggested any exercises for you to do at home? I would suggest starting with them and ask them about the problems with lifting your leg? I'm saying this because of the dislocation risks..
I had my surgery on June 25th and I still have a little trouble lifting my leg to tie shoes.. everything improved quite a bit, though just within the past 10 days. When you consider just how much trauma you've had in and around that hip, it stands to reason that you would still have some limited range of motion.
Please take care. I know this is a very difficult time. Prayers for an easy resolution, soon!

@Onestepatatime .... please don't attempt any activities or exercises without first discussing them with your surgeon or therapist. Because of your history, you're going to need to be very gentle with your hip until things are completely stabilized. That will take some time.

I'm sorry you're frustrated with what must feel like endless recovery. These things happen sometimes and you really have no choice but to go with it. I do like your thought of practicing gratitude. Keeping a positive attitude can be challenging, but you ARE making progress - even if it is slower than you'd like.

Do make plans to have friends over if you can. Getting with other people and having some laughs will help you tremendously. Hang in there. I'm glad to hear that your surgeon is keeping close watch over you and thinks things are proceeding with your recovery.

Jamie, CricketHip, Layla, Fit4Family
I spoke with my mom, I am going to Florida after the epidural next Monday. And with Murphy's law on my side, I am sure I will be invited to face to face interviews when I am in Florida. My new Tens unit just arrived and it feels sssssooooo good on my back. Yay.
I won't do any new exercises unless doctor and PT clear them. The one with the yoga strap I do not think I can do. It was on my home PT before I dislocated and it is not on my new program. I had the puppies back over the week end, but they require walks every 3-4 hours. They went home today, and I feel like a truck hit me. But the affection they give was awesome. Maybe someday I will get my own dog. Might be a better choice then trying on line dating again, LOL. My goals are - get a job, move, then find a nice man:spin::dancy::cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you! Just do a lot of pre-planning and hopefully your trip will be fairly easy on you. I know the pampering and change of scenery will be good for your "mentals."

I am so glad you can get away and spend time with your Mom. Very happy your tens unit is providing much needed relief. Will keep you in my thoughts. Hope things start brightening very soon. Sunshine and family will sure help. :SUNsmile:

This is wonderful news! I'm happy you're going for a change of scenery and spending time with your mom in Florida. Hopefully it helps to get away and clear your head a bit. I love your idea of practicing grattitude. You're right we can all count our blessings and it's sure feels better than ruminating over disappointments. Things are going to fall into place for you...and it could happen quickly. Keep looking up. :)
I hope you have a great week!
@Onestepatatime

@Jamie @Josephine
What is your opinion/advice on flying (3 hour trip) it has been 4 months since surgery with, as you know, setback from dislocation. I am getting cold feet making the trip from NJ to Florida. The thought of going through the airport, being on a plane, etc. is making me rethink booking a ticket. I know i can request a wheelchair. I definitely cannot walk through an airport, since 5 minutes of walking now is still pretty painful.
Thanks,
Karen

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads