Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

Just hopping on to share my updates. I secured two job interviews after much deliberation. I had a hard time telling each company I could not interview next week as they wanted. Each were fine, and interviews will be right after Labor Day. I wish I felt happy about the interest and activity in my job search vs stressed.
It hurts when I walk, and have had horrible insomnia. I’m awake from like 3-5 am then fall back asleep for a few hours. I did my first load of laundry today. I want to try driving soon. I’ll have my son go around the block with me. Just being able to do small errands would be huge. I’m just feeling down in the dumps and trying to keep my spirits up.

:hi:I hate that you have the added pressure of securing a job in the midst of trying to heal.
Now that you have the interview squared...try to put it out of your mind for a bit.
I had such a hard time with consecutive hours of sleep after my surgeries...it is wearying.
I had to nap when possible several times per day which didnt feel that helpful at times. Just wanted to sleep all night.:gaah:
I would nap in the recliner with my ice packs which really was helpful.
One month out is prime time for the postop blues...so I do sympathize.
Keep the faith my friend. I'm sending healing vibes your way.:console2:

Just catching up on your thread @Onestepatatime You have received such great advice from other people here. Your job search sounds very promising. I really like others suggestions of viewing your recovery as your number one job right now. You ARE young and have a lot of living to do after this recovery. Sleep is so restorative for me. If you do nothing else, preserve that, do everything possible to give your body a chance to heal. I am so sorry this has happened to you.

I hope the next few weeks pass quickly and that you emerge physically stronger and well on your way to recovery. xxx ❤️

I'm sorry you're feeling blue. The combo of your recovery, sleep deficit and anxiety about your job search will certainly affect your mood. If you're able, I hope you can take advantage of your time off work by napping during the day so you're feeling less tired. Easy for me to say as I'm not a napper and thought Recovery would surely bring on daytime dreaming...no such luck. But if you're the type that's able to nap, I'd say go for it as our body does it's best healing while we're asleep.

I understand your concerns regarding your job search but these things always seem to work out for the best in the end. Even when it feels like it's not going as you anticipated it would. Possibly getting behind the wheel would lift your spirits. Even if it's only for a Sunday drive. Not sure if you're getting out often, but possibly coffee, or a meal with a friend or loved one, out in the world, may help boost your spirits. I'm only suggesting this because I had to be nudged early on and felt so much better after a change of scenery.

Sending a hug and wishes for brighter days. I hope you get some restorative rest tonight.
@Onestepatatime

@Mojo333, @Fit4Family @Layla

Thank you all for the great support and compassion. You all are a great group and I always feel better after posting and reading responses. I did go to the pool with a friend then out to a really nice dinner with my son. I’m feeling physically beaten up but definitely elevated my mood!!! Walking even with a cane is a deep bone and muscle pain. I have a feeling something is wrong, maybe dislocation damage?
I am laughing to myself bc taking off my portable toilet seat off and I view this as a milestone. Only on this site can we celebrate these wins. I’m going to start doing meditation and being grateful exercises. I can’t seem to read a book....zero concentration.
My son leaves Tuesday for Europe and then college. I get weepy bc I’ll miss him and my own life is in a holding pattern. I want to get a job and move near jersey city or easy access to nyc. But with orthopedic issues need to make sure I can navigate in city like living. I’m so over suburb living!!!

So today was a big day! I drove around the block and took off the toilet seat. I still feel deep bone pain. Still hurts a lot to weight bare. I need a rainy day to just ice and elevate. And nap!!!!
My son is leaving for Europe tomorrow for 3 weeks then back to college. I wish I felt better and more mobile. I’m muddling along with the blues but trying to see or call people daily. I miss exercising so much and never take it for granted when I’m able to go.

Does anyone have experience with a bad limp post surgery? Mine is much worse post dislocation. Surgeon still doesn’t want me doing PT. The more I walk the worse it feels. Any insight would be appreciated!

Hi @Onestepatatime
Have you tried heel toe walking? It does take some concentration but most find it very helpful in losing their limp. Let your heel strike the ground first, followed by toes. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!

Hi @Onestepatatime
I've not had a full dislocation, but I had many subluxations (partial dislocations). They were excruciatingly painful and caused a lot of muscle damage. I can only guess at how painful a full dislocation would be. :console2:
So on top of the revision surgery, I would think that the soft tissue surrounding your hip would have been further traumatised by your dislocation and will take longer to heal than from just a revision. In the meantime, those muscles will be weak and cause you to limp, especially when tired. I would think that's why your OS advises against PT for now, you need to heal first. Not what you want to hear I know, but that hip has been through a lot in the last six weeks. Give it time, you'll get there.

Hello @Onestepatatime

As @Layla says, practice heal toe walking. Form is more important than speed, or how long you try to walk. Stop when you can’t do without pain. I am imagining that the soft tissue damage is still healing. Nothing you can do to push recovery. It takes the time it takes. It’s hard to keep waiting, but it’s better than a set back.

I know you will be missing your son. Our daughter returns to college in a week. Bittersweet ❤️

:wave:Hope you are keeping things slow and mindful...and seeing some progress.
One month out can seem like a recovery stall period..
Did for me!
Keep the faith and drop us an update when you are able.
Hope you have a Happy Sunday!:SUNsmile:

I had a little set back at 3 weeks.. no dislocation but I whatever I did I sure had a large increase in pain and am now almost at 8 weeks and still limp without using the cane. It's a weird weakness in the upper thigh muscles around the hip and also includes the gluteal muscles and IT Band. This week I'm seeing improvement but still have a limp without the cane. Hopefully that reassures you a bit.. Please refresh my memory, what are you using to help you walk?
Interestingly using the cane but not really leaning on the cane keeps me walking straight and steady.. I can't figure it out because I'm not leaning on the cane for support but it stabilizes everything.
@Onestepatatime :flwrysmile:

@CricketHip

Hi, I’m using one crutch. I have pain using the cane (nice rhyme) when walking. Feels too unsteady. And aside from the duck waddle limp it just hurts to walk wo an aid. I’m afraid to dislocate again so I sleep with a wedge pillow velcroed around my legs. Are you doing PT?

Hi @Mojo333
Thanks for checking on me, really appreciate it! I’m plugging along. Going nuts not exercising, the surgeon said no PT now. I felt a bit better past two days but I think somehow I over did it today. I had a lumbar spine fusion last summer and back pain is creeping in. I just wish this would all be behind me. That I’m in my new job pretty much pain free.
Hoping sleep comes soon! Have a great Monday.
Karen

Wish I could zoom across the pond and make it all better for you! :console2:You're in that limbo land phase where you want (need?) to get on with your life but the hip demands restraint. Heck, I'm almost 3 months out and still struggling to walk without any aids. Use your crutch as long as you feel pain or feel unstable. I've learned a very valuable lesson lately which is listen to your OWN body. This hip healing stuff - all the muscles and soft tissues - takes way longer than any of us mortals and most of world who haven't had a hip op imagine! Do get out and about and socialize if you can, but come back to your nest and ice and rest. (Hey that's a nice rhyme too) :ice:
I also still sleep on side with a pillow between my knees. But at my point it's just more comfy and keeps my hip from sliding.
You'll get there. Just let your muscles heal around your joint capsule so they keep it safe and sound. There will be plenty of time for PT when your joint is stable. I like the idea if gratitude meditation. Go for it, hang in there, and be kind to yourself. :angel:

Calgirl said it very well.:)
I'm sorry the sleep thing is still so frustrating.
It was quite some time before I got a decent all night rest, so I sympathise.
Keep the faith friend.:friends:

Hello, Happy Monday to you :wave:
I'm sorry you're fearful, but I understand. You've been through a lot and I'm sure you simply get tired of it all. Wishing you pain relief, peace of mind, restorative rest and healing. It will come, it's just seems you've taken the long way home. You'll get there though and we're with you all the way.
I hope this week is a good one. :)
@Onestepatatime

@ Layla @Mojo333 @Calgal,

Thanks so much for the kind works! The support on this board makes a huge difference, for sure. @Calgal, are you driving yet? I tried once, went to CVS and home and I had a two day set back in discomfort. Getting in the car on the operated leg side was rough. Also, do you have issues concentrating? I have a pile of books I did not read, but I have like 14 games going on with Words With Friends, lol.

I am trying to socialize as much as possible. My BF had her knee replaced two weeks before my hip and is driving, so she comes to my pool a couple times a week. Family sees me on the weekends. I just want to be able to at least drive. Yes, I need to get on with my life and pray I get a job to start in October. I am trying to pace myself with housework, and be careful not to bend at my waist. I also am trying not to take Percocet, but by night the pain has crept up. Is it possible that affects my sleep?

Ok, all for now. Hope everyone is doing ok!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts