Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

Do everything slowly (sorry, guess you probably have that covered:unsure:)
and mindfully.
I'm sure you are nervous, but you can do this. We are rooting for you, @Onestepatatime :console2:

“What doesn’t kill me will make me stronger?”

Well, yes. Or, maybe, it will reveal your strength, for you and everyone else to see.

It’s so unfortunate that your aunt had to leave one bedside to rush to another - how upsetting for both of you - and I cannot even imagine the worry and fear she took with her to the ICU. It sounds as though her reassuring presence made you feel confident, and now you feel her absence as a setback.

But maybe, it’s a different kind of progress. Maybe now, you will be in charge of taking things at your own slow and steady pace. No one’s keeping score, after all. And you’ve been successful at this before. Multiple times. You’ve got this - you really do. And you’ll come up with Plan B before you know it.

One thought about unemployment: we only get to make big jumps forward when we’re free agents. When we have a job, we’re locked in. The brightest future yet might be just around the corner for you - after all, unemployment is so low, lots of employers have vacancies. You could have a fun/hard choice ahead! It’s just a matter of waiting for the opportune moment.

Sometimes, like now, being single sucks.
I hear you! Here's what I've learned going through multiple joint replacements as a single person: friends will rally around and help out, you just need to ask; friends also have busy lives and multiple demands so there will be longer stretches of alone time than is optimal; I can do lots of things for myself that I didn't think I could do. I haven't read through your thread so you might have answered this already but--do you have a shower chair? I have a shower transfer bench in my combination tub/shower and it allows me to feel confident about showering by myself. This is a challenging recovery to do on your own--but it is doable.

Good Morning,
Your sweet, kindhearted aunt, running from caring for you, to the ICU and her ailing son, bless her heart.
I hope he pulls through.

I'm sorry you're alone. I wouldn't attempt a first shower without someone there, if at all possible. It would be best to have someone within earshot until you become comfortable with a routine. It really only takes about two showers to master a routine, many may do it in one.

Feeling blue is pretty normal, but the good thing is it's usually fleeting. It seems to wash over you, then just as quickly be gone. Try to keep your mind occupied, it seems to help as it's easy to begin feeling sorry for ourselves while we're looking and feeling pathetic. Keep reminding yourself that it's all temporary and try to focus on how great your life will most likely be a year from now. Time flies, as we all know.
Hugs and wishes for your comfort. I hope today is a good one. :)
@Onestepatatime

Hi, you all are so sweet and supportive. I am going to try and stay positive and hope only god things will come of this surgery and unemployment. I’ve had a few phone interviews and have been applying to more openings. Hope the timing of my recovery aligns with the right opportunity.
I do have a shower chair. Daily showers are a must! I’ve had people stop by to help take out garbage and help with food prep. My son has been a big support too. He’s 21 and has his own life but he can help too.
My cousin is doing very poorly and my aunt is heart broken. So I appreciate everyone’s prayers.

Prayers for your ailing cousin, aunt and anyone else who is heartsick over his situation. :prayer:

Thankfully you're being well taken care of. Try not to stress over the unemployment while you're healing. These situations always seem to have a way of working out. We're here for you whenever you need us.
I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend.
@Onestepatatime

Sounds like you have some really nice friends. Praying for your cousin and Aunt.

Hi All,
I might be getting antsy but I have a few questions and wanted to bounce them through the group so my boredom doesn’t over ride safety:
1) I was instructed to use a raised toilet seat. I was going to go to my brothers house for a change of scenery but his bathroom toilet is low and has nowhere to hold to get up. Should I not go there yet? I’m getting tired of too much alone time.
2) have any women gone for a pedicure a few weeks out? It’s sandal time and I’m in desperate need of one

All the limitations and recovery are getting really boring. I just need to combat isolation and maintain some semblance of myself. This is the **** I think about

I am non weight bearing for 4 more weeks, so pretty helpless overall and def need a riser. My toilet riser is pretty portable, so I am taking it with me to several family events at their homes next week. Hubby will put it on/take it off for me as needed.

As to pedicure, my wonderful mom gave me one at home, since there is no way I could navigate the nail salon or sit in those big chairs.

So yesterday I had my best day yet. Then at 3:00 am I had to use the restroom and then bam! Felt a pop and the worst pain ever. I got my son up and tried icing. I couldn’t breathe through the pain and called the doctors office. They said to call 911. Took an hour to get ambulance to show up and figure out how to get me down the stairs. I’m all fixed now. I’m in an immobilizer. Seeing the doctor Thursday. This was scary and feels like a set back. Ugh!!!!

I am so sorry you are now having to deal with this, so scary. I hope the doctor gives you positive news on Thursday. Sending warm and positive thoughts your way. :flwrysmile:

@Onestepatatime
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I’m so very sorry this is happening to you. Sounds scary! Praying that you get the help you need to get on the road to a full recovery. Good luck with your appointment Thursday. :flwrysmile:

@Onestepatatime
How frightening. It sounds like they got it back in place? I hope you are not in too much pain. I've had a few scary moments when I forget and swing around wrong or cross my leg without thinking. The further I get along the more I forget to be careful and I still need to be careful too. I hope all is okay and it is just a minor setback.

@Onestepatatime , I assume you had the posterior approach? Do you know if you violated a restriction? Possibly break the 90 degree rule when sitting on the toilet? My understanding is that the hip is at highest risk of dislocation right after surgery, hence all the restrictions, over the next 6 weeks of healing of support tissue around the hip it becomes stronger until restrictions are removed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom