• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[REVISION THR] dislocation two weeks after revision<

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hey Karen,
I'm sure Jamie will be by at some point. Josephine is still away from the forum and we're not sure of her return date yet.

Will you please refresh our memory regarding the dislocations so the info is here when Jamie stops by.

Was the incident on July 14th an actual dislocation? Or was there only the one in your sleep on July 17th?

Also, have you considered weighing in on air travel with your surgeon?
I understand your apprehension, but not sure if it should be a concern at this point. I'm thinking if you received a nod from your surgeon, you'd have the confidence to move forward.

Hope you're having a good day! :)
@Onestepatatime

OP
OP
Onestepatatime
Country
Hi, It was a fill dislocation on July 14th, then followed by partial. I left a message for the surgeon as well. I spoke with the PA, she said after 3 months patients are good to go but since I had a complication she will run it by the doctor. Yeah, if he thinks there is no risk then I will book the ticket. I just had second thoughts because of my necessity to get a job and literally cannot afford a setback,

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I don't blame you at all for having concerns, you've had a rough Summer, have a lot going on and it feels like all the more reason to get away, take a breather and hopefully come back refreshed. But you have to be comfortable with going or it won't be enjoyable.
Prayers you make the right decision and if it's meant to be all will effortlessly fall into place. :prayer:
Have a nice evening!
@Onestepatatime

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Jo is not back yet following her revision knee replacement. Sorry.

Given the challenges you still have, it will make the trip more difficult. You'll need to do a lot of pre-planning and take advantage of every break you can.

* Pack light. One medium size bag you can check and a carry-on. Make sure the bag has good, sturdy wheels. Be sure and pack pain medications in your carry on luggage.

* Have someone take you to the airport and pick you up after you're back home. They can drop you at your terminal gate. Find out which airlines have curbside check in. You might want to book with that airline.

* When you book your tickets, ask for handicapped assistance. This should be a wheelchair and a porter to wheel you and your bag. You just sit. The porter will check your bag in for you and take you to the gate. You'll board first and can take the wheelchair all the way down the ramp if needed.

* Try to book an aisle seat so you can stretch out into the aisle if needed.

* Try to book a direct flight so you don't have to change planes. Otherwise you'll need wheelchair assistance at every airport where you must change to another airplane.

* Aboard the plane, ask your flight attendant to make sure you have a wheelchair waiting at the gate when you arrive. Take some zip lock bags and ask the flight attendant for ice to use in flight if that would make you more comfortable.

* Once you arrive and get your wheelchair at the start of the ramp, the porter will take you to pick up your luggage and to whatever point where you'll be picked up (do have someone pick you up at the airport).

Don't go if you think it's going to be too much. Really take stock of how you feel before you decide. I know it's tough and you'd love to go for a visit. Only you know if you're up to it or not. It will be a push for you.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Onestepatatime I love the advice Jamie left for you! It makes the trip seem possible, doesn't it?
another question for you is, is it possible for your mom to fly to you? Then you are home in case an interview request comes in.
I hope you were planning on waiting and recovering a few days after the epidural? Before the flight?

You most certainly have earned a little get away or some sort of break, for sure.
I sure am pulling for you and will be so thrilled when your recovery steps up a bit and you are well on your way.

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@Onestepatatime what I remember about my spine and hip steroid shots, is being told to go home and not be active, right away, so the steroid could stay longer in the area being treated, in the hopes it would be more effective.

I think you are getting some great ideas, to consider regarding traveling.

OP
OP
Onestepatatime
Country
Hi All,
Thank you so much for the great advice! My surgeons approved me flying. I did book a ticket to leave on Wednesday, but I did get trip insurance. Epidural is Monday. It is a long story about my mom. She won't come stay with me. It was a very sore point during my recovery. But she is beyond excited I am coming. I did book handicap, with extra room. I will call JetBlue Monday to confirm wheelchair assistance. If I have a reaction to the epidural I will push the trip. I am nervous about traveling, but her house there is gorgeous, has a pool, hot tub and overlooks a golf course. And the main pool is heated!

On another note, I saw my son today! He was in NYC for a convention and I took the trip in to see him in Queens. It was an easy trip in, my very first drive since Surgery. And, I am not in pain now! I will rest tomorrow.

You all are the best :):loveshwr:

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@Onestepatatime It sounds like you have everything well organized! So glad to hear you took a ride and had no pain after it. That must be so encouraging!
Good luck with the shot, and enjoy your trip! Sounds like your mom has the perfect spa life.

OP
OP
Onestepatatime
Country
@VSlowLife Thanks! I was so upset my mom did not come to stay with me after my surgery, but hey if she is flying me down and will spoil me there, hard to not want to go. I have never flown with handicap assistance so all the advice here is great. Yes, today was a HUGE milestone.

I was at my unemployment office yesterday because my benefits run out soon. After I lost my job end of May, I was eligible for unemployment. Then the hip pain became ridiculous and I had the surgery in July with complications to follow. I cannot believe all this time has passed. Anyway, I do not feel ready to return to work full time. I asked unemployment how to go on disability, and they cut my unemployment benefits on the spot. I had 3 weeks left. I understand the government's point but i had no idea!!! Now I have to have my surgeon complete a form, and hope the state approves this. What a pain in the bleep. I do not feel like I can return to work full-time. If this does not get approved, I do not know what kind of work I can do to make money. I think I need one more month or so before returning.

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@Onestepatatime Moms have their own ideas about how they can offer help. My mom would come to my house and weed my flower beds for me after my spine surgery, That was her way of helping. It’s something she enjoyed. My guess is your mom enjoys entertaining at her place.
Oh no! So sorry! How would you have known?
It usually takes about a year to get disability, in my experience, but sooner when you have a terminal illness.
Is there a social worker at your hospital that you can speak with for some advice? After you are approved for disability, you will get a big check for some of the time you were disabled, I think. It’s been a while.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Glad you booked the flight! I think you will do just fine with assistance. Your Mom's home sounds wonderful. More importantly, it sounds perfect for you right now. I hope your epidural goes smoothly and It's all coasting afterwards and on /Wednesday you are flying south!
Then the trip to New York to see your son, how nice was that? I know how I love seeing my sons, it lifts my spirits every time. I think his visit came at the perfect time for you, and then you returned home and didn't suffer any consequences. That sounds very positive. We really need to appreciate the positives, right?
@Onestepatatime- I am so very sorry to hear what happened at the unemployment office, what a blindside for you!
It's just another reason to enjoy your time away in Florida. Just relax, let Mom pamper and spoil you.

Enjoy your weekend and remember that you are showing signs of improvement and you have the epidural to look forward to. (only someone else with a bad back can understand this!)

:flwrysmile:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Jamie How is Jo doing?
I spoke with her just today and she is making slow progress. But she is experiencing additional problems with this recovery that she didn't have before. I think it's going to take her a while to bouce back completely. She's still without a good computer, but that should get fixed some time next week. Then hopefully she'll be able to post updates here.

OP
OP
Onestepatatime
Country
For anyone who has had a revision, how long was it before you returned to normal work days?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and a happy Sunday to you!
It's great news to read you've decided to make the trip to Florida to spend time with your mom. It sounds like she spoil you all the while you're swimming, relaxing in the hot tub and enjoying the views from her home. I hope it's fully relaxing and you're able to come home feeling refreshed and renewed with the confidence to face the job search without stressing too much.

Best of luck with the epidural tomorrow and safe travels on Wednesday lest I forget to mention it over the next couple days.
I hope you have a great getaway!
@Onestepatatime

OP
OP
Onestepatatime
Country
Epidural was uneventful they gave a a Valium didn’t hurt that bad. Doctor was total eye candy! He said I’ll know if it helps in two weeks. Yesterday I did 15 min pool walking and 15 on the bike then had s lot of cleaning to do. My legs feel like led today and achy. Tomorrow is rainy day of rest and packing.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Glad that is over with and that you will rest some tomorrow, and give that injection a chance to work.
Hopefully the packing is simple to pull together.

Florida, here you come!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ppadilla
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom