THR [DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread

I am curious how the sitting astride went, that is one of my biggest concerns for post op, I want to be able to ride again

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Well everyone! I did it!!!! My daughter had her lesson on her lovely pony and at the end with supervision from her instructor - I got on! No searing pain at all, pre op the pain getting on was so bad! I walked around in a small circle and then got off. On hindsight, I'm going to dismount on the "wrong" side as swinging my right leg over the back of the saddle could've been a little easier. Mission accomplished [emoji4]

Thank you! My Physio gave me some specific exercises to practise for mount and dismount and that has helped... I think I'm a few weeks off actual riding but this is the start - I'll be trying to keep on top of the Physio exercises and build the strength up as much as possible. Feeling positive.

I am curious how the sitting astride went, that is one of my biggest concerns for post op, I want to be able to ride again

Sitting astride is actually good for hips, my Physio said no chance of dislocation in that position. I've been practising as need my muscles to work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Good luck Pony but don't put yourself at risk. If you're not ready, you have the whole summer ahead of you. You have already achieved miracles in my eyes ! I hesitate to say this as I know how keen you are to get going, but would it make a major difference if you just waited a few more weeks to ensure that you have properly healed?
Only you will know this, so do what you think is sensible.
I will be thinking about you and hoping you have a great weekend, whatever you end up doing!!
Wishing you well,
Diane xxx

Thank you Diane, I took it very carefully - no way would I do that on my own! Getting on was actually do much easier than I thought it would be. Getting off was trickier but I have a plan on how to make that work. I hope you are feeling well xxx

Very wise approach doing this under supervision. What a thrill for you - you are definitely on your way. Well done @ponymad !

Hooray!!! Well done you that's so fab. Must have been lovely to be up there even without a ride! Soon you will be riding again pain free!! So pleased for you
Sam xxx

Yay! So happy for you getting on again! :horseriding: I am so looking forward to riding without pain. I'm interested to hear there are exercises which help with mounting and dismounting; will save this info for future.

Congratulation on getting back in the saddle. I'm sure it was a thrill.
I went back to the pool yesterday for the first time and did my exercises in the warm water. It felt wonderful. I'm 6 almost 7 weeks
Congrats again

Yay! So happy for you getting on again! :horseriding: I am so looking forward to riding without pain. I'm interested to hear there are exercises which help with mounting and dismounting; will save this info for future.

I'm seeing a Physio every 2 weeks and it has changed everything. Clamshells and lunges are good and also very exaggerated movement pushing leg back and over an imaginary horse - I use a chair and then sit astride and back again. It's all about building strength and I am not there yet, 10 weeks tomorrow!

Congratulation on getting back in the saddle. I'm sure it was a thrill.
I went back to the pool yesterday for the first time and did my exercises in the warm water. It felt wonderful. I'm 6 almost 7 weeks
Congrats again

Thank you Chardonnay - I know I'm not ready for riding properly yet but being able to mount and sit in the saddle without excruciating pain reassures me that everything is moving in the right direction and that I did the right thing having the op - like many of us, I've questioned that sometimes over the past 10 weeks!

Wonderful news for you- Congratulations! I've been out of the saddle for close to 2 years now, and I'm so looking forward to getting back. Your success gives me hope!

Think I spoke too soon. Lying here in bed feeling really sore and jittery. Couldn't sleep because of pain in hip and thigh and the muscle spasms, and waiting for next dose of codeine and paracetamol. Taking apixaban Eliquis for blood clots. Nurse at hospital said I could also take ibuprofen if needed but after reading apixaban leaflet, don't think I can. Ran a bit late on the meds today and seem to be paying for it now. Have been icing for last 2 hrs, but only just starting to feel a bit better as the tablets are kicking in. I was having oramorph last 2 days in hospital at night for breakthrough pain, but that obviously has stopped. Just hope I will be able to get to sleep now x

You cant take non steroidal drugs (Ibuprofen) with warfarin (Apixaban) . Its a pain but there you go! Its because they can make your stomach bleed and you dont want that when you're on warfarin. I felt so much better when I had finished the course of Apixaban, and I had much better colour in my face. They are essential, but boy, iyts good to get off them!

Hooray! Discharged from Physio today. I have been given the green light to slowly introduce riding into my exercise programme. My hip feels stable enough, not sure about my muscles - I'm going to start slowly [emoji4]

Your last few posts are super inspirational.
Well done you......
There is recovery after dislocation.
Enjoy the ponies ( the tame ones ).
Joe.......

Thank you Joe - I did it!!! A 15 minute ride around the village in walk. Archie (my beautiful Welsh Sec. D pony) was amazing bearing in mind he hasn't been ridden for some time. 9 weeks exactly since dislocation and nearly 11 weeks post op. Getting on and off was pain free - pre op was dreadfully painful. I would post a photo but I can't remember how to do that! Keep going everyone!

Amazing Pony!!!! Am so happy for you fellow Feb hippie, that is fantastic!! All to look forward to now you've done it!! Have fun Pony xxx
Sam

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie