Revision THR Dislocation following revision

I admit that I am so tired of all of this. Years of hip pain, a failed surgery and the results of that for years, the hope of this one, then this let down of dislocation.

My heart goes out to you. I can imagine how it would be difficult to push this from the forefront of your mind. Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and that you get to a better place mentally and physically soon.
Wishing you a pleasant Saturday. :)
@melquist

Have you considered getting a lift recliner for sleeping? I rented one from my local medical home health supply store. They're vinyl so easily cleaned, that was my main concern when researching them.
They are very helpful in those first weeks, are comfortable and I think it would be easier on your heels. It’s just a thought, hope you are doing well otherwise. :flwrysmile:

Helinium! Oh my goodness when I read how much you have been through, my stuff is nothing!!! I found a fuzzy cat pad that my cats don't mind giving up for awhile that feels softer under my heel, and I will definitely look into the cream. I am using the grabber to position it and another pillow under my knees, since my knees straight causes pain in my leg and hip. I also got up and walked around for awhile doing what I could, which helped too. Thank you for your help. I will go find that cream now.

Hi Cricket, Pumpkin and Layla-I think the recliner is a great idea, the problem is we live in a two story house, and the usable fixed up for me bathroom is upstairs next to my bedroom. Maybe though I can look into it being brought upstairs. Why the heck not. I will look into that. Your advice is much appreciated. Everyone's is. I will go ahead and the boots too, and give it a try. It is better than nothing. Great idea about sleeping with my heels off the bed, but the darned footboard is in the way. Still everything you guys are sharing will get me to some solutions. Working on this keeps me focused on going ahead and not getting stuck in the blues. Seriously, I look at what you have all been through, and I'm in kindergarten here!!

Melquist,
Sorry to hear you’re recovery has been bumpy. In relation to the heels, I’m the same... what I found helped best was-getting my husband to roll under the bottom corner of the duvet and slip under my ankle (this is still quite low so I don’t need support under the knee).For some reason it sits perfectly and then if it moves slightly I push it a little with my helping hand every now and again.
Oh, I followed Josephines advice to the letter when I had my first hip done; I did hardly any PT and I’m pain free with full ROM at 9 months (I returned to work after 10 weeks with no problems). I guess by doing hardly any PT the capsule around the hip could heal well first.

Hi Midouri: Thank you for the tip on the duvet. I will try that too. I agree with you about the PT. I was a stellar patient doing all the exercises, walking, and then at 7 weeks, dislocate. This time for this revision, I'm not going to go back to PT and I will walk as tolerated. I am going to let this capsule heal as tight as it possibly can. I think all the PT, stretching, exercises, etc. didn't let my capsule tighten up more by the 7 week point. I retired from the PT field. I was a PTA (physical therapy assistant) and an ATC (certified athletic trainer). I was familiar with all the exercises, and the whole post op protocol. I don't think it was in my best interest. I agree with walk, just walk as tolerated, let the body heal and don't rush it. Since I am starting all over again, I am going that route this time. I am hoping, hoping, hoping (yes, I said it three times), that this is the end of the bumps and no more surgery will be necessary. I want to hope it won't dislocate again as long as I am careful with the precautions. I guess I will get more of reality when I see the surgeon Thursday. Thank you!

@melquist It's very interesting to see your perspective on PT after going through this yourself!

Ok, Back to the recliner, I have a similar situation, our main bathroom is on the second floor.. the other one is in the basement! Sure wasn't built with joint replacements in mind. The guys who delivered my rental recliner carried it upstairs for me! Plugged it in and got everything situated, it was great!
I'm tall at 5'8" and they tried to tell me I needed the larger recliner but I found the medium size to be perfection.
I kept it for the first month and was so sad to see it go.. :bawl:

Hi @melquist , I just read your thread, and, my word, you have been through the mill.

I cant give any advice or anything, but just wanted to say I empathize with your pain and fears, and I hope that you have an event free recovery from here. And may you get back to your gardening!

@melquist Have you saved any bubble packaging plastic? Thinking you may be able to tape a few layers together and insert them in a pillow case, closed with some safety pins.

Question: For those who dislocated, how soon did you try to start walking more than within the house for the basics? I have discomfort but not really any pain. I am moving around the house fine, but I have gone back to the up with the good down with the bad for the 20 stairs that we have. I just don't want to stress it right now with trying to alternate on the stairs yet. I have not needed a cane or walker, and the doc didn't feel it was necessary. I have no limp, but I am definitely slower and more cautious with my gait. I'm trying to decide if I should go outside and try a little walking now that I am 5 days post dislocation or if I should stay low key. I am resting in bed in a recline position too much I think. I do not want to sit in chairs yet, because that is uncomfortable, since the dislocation. Thanks for any input.

P.S.: The new comfort, taller toilet with the safety bar to help me get up has really been working out nicely. I am glad I did it. It did take me awhile to get the method of up and down more comfortable.

Actually nix my question. I just did some walking around the house, and I am significantly sore. Actually, it hurts. I think my perspective of pain was completely altered with the excruciating pain of the dislocation on Monday. What I said was no pain, but discomfort, is pain. Geez...learning curve..
Vslowlife thank you for the bubble wrap tip. That is a good one.

P.S.: The new comfort, taller toilet with the safety bar to help me get up has really been working out nicely. I am glad I did it. It did take me awhile to get the method of up and down more comfortable.
I would love to get this for my bathrooms! Glad to hear it's working so well for you.. again, I'm so sorry you are going through this, the pain must have been horrible.

For your heels try rolling a towel and taping it to put under your ankles. My OS had this a requirement if sitting with legs elevated for long periods to keep the legs stretched out. Wanted it for 15 min of every hour of sitting. It can be made any thickness and gets your heels up.

Stopping by to say :hi:
Wondering how you're doing since you last posted?
I hope you're able to rest comfortably, with pain well managed.
Will look forward to hearing from you soon.
@melquist

Thank you Eman85 about the towel roll. For anyone who has the same situation, I ended up using a fleece covered cat pad which completely eliminated the problem. It is one of those that usually has one side with fleece covering and the other side with a smooth leopard style print. The fleece has been so helpful.
Thank you Layla for checking in to see how I am doing. The last two nights I have gotten much more sleep than I had all week. I am able to get up more now and move about with some increased confidence. I am being extremely careful with all activity until I see the surgeon on Thursday. I have high hopes that I can get through this without anymore surgery. I for some reason am more sore this week than I was last week when it dislocated. Between meloxicam and one 5mg/325mg percocet in the AM and one at night, it has been manageable. I definitely am able to move better and use my fancy new taller toilet with increased comfort. It is funny, and I know all of us fellow posters know what I mean, how such simple things can be such a relief! Something as simple as being able to sit on the toilet with almost no discomfort is miraculous! Hope everyone is okay, and I will post on Thursday night what the surgeon says.

Wishing you a great report from the surgeon on Thursday. Glad the fleece worked for you, I had a problem for awhile as well and used a furry fleece blanket I had at the bottom of the bed. It is amazing the little things that are a relief or either amuse us along the journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88