THR Bad move two years after dislocation

Hi @motogirl I so sorry to find you feeling so blue. You will get some good instructions and guidance from a good OT, as Pumpkin recommended and you won't be "nearly an invalid" for the remainder of your life.
Just take things a day at a time, friend. Hopefully the surgeon was trying to make sure that you took things seriously in regards to the limitations. What a shame he didn't give you better instructions in the first place
For the time being, let time be on your side and try to keep your mind busy and don't fret.
Hopefully, as you progress you will get a better prognosis.

Take care and know we are here, pulling for your successful recovery. :flwrysmile:

As the others have said, hopefully your surgeon was just being cautious and wanting you to really be careful over the next few months. A big part of your healing is also going to be not worrying all of the time about what the future holds, and just concentrating on the present. Serious complications with replacements seem pretty unusual, and since you've already had a dislocation, let's assume you are good to go and won't be having further issues. And if you do end up with future problems, you will deal with it then---nothing you can do about it now, except to take good care of yourself.

If you continue to be anxious, maybe a 2nd opinion with a different surgeon would be helpful. Have you thought about that? Take care and keep us posted. :flwrysmile:

Thank you both, @CricketHip and @Debru4, for adding your thoughts to the others. It's what I need to hear, because it truly does help to channel my mind away from all the regrets and "what ifs" and "if onlys" I am drowning in. Thank you ALL so much for your kindness and support. My PT is great and I plan to fill him in on Monday's visit and see what he says. I will let you all know.

Hi @motogirl
:mcoffee: On cup number two, and ready to start my day when I came upon your post.
Just musing on all the different protocols I have run across for all the different complications from folks who have joined our support site.
The lifelong restrictions do sound daunting and I can tell you are trying not to be disheartened with your situation.
I didn't suffer a dislocation but i can tell you that I've seen some who have that appeared to throw caution to the wind to bad results.
These are indeed early days.
Ultimately, given the chance to heal and taking things slow...I think you will be able to do many things that you aren't able to do now.
I agree that your surgeon wants you to be super careful for quite a while...
The whys and what ifs, as you say, just take you down a rabbit hole and stress is horrid for our immune system.
We are all rooting for you...so eat well, rest, and let's get this healing happening!
Big healing hugs!

Last edited:
Thank you, @Mojo333! I hope everyone is right that he is trying to make me be suoer cautious...but he is cold snd I can't help feeling that he's blaming ne for putting this issue in his lap and wants it to go away. He's quite pre-eminent in the medical community. I thought I woukd be in caring, caoabke hands and I feel quite the opposite.

I don't blame you for feeling this way.
We are probably giving him a lot of latitude for his insensitive demeanor...after all, we put a lot of faith in our surgeons.
I have seen many arrogant doctors as my diagnosis was two years in discovering.
I was told by one jerk that I might benefit from seeing a psychiatrist or a drug counselor!:censored:
I was eventually diagnosed with endstage OA in both hips.
I should think he would've expressed concern and regret this happened to you...irregardless of what caused this.

Wishing you comfort and a way to get his hurtful remarks from living rent free in your head, eventually.
Stick with us. Lots of friendly folks to help you show him how great you are going to do.

Last edited:
Hello @motogirl
I hope you've been doing well over the past few weeks.
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary.
Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving also! :wave:

:hi: @motogirl
I'm sure this take it easy healing business is beginning to get old!:unsure:

But I hope you are staying positive and feeling more confident.

Big healing hugs and hope your Thanksgiving is Sweet!
Keep the faith.:friends:

Thank you for your kind words, @Mojo333! It continues to be a difficult process, with much "buyer's remorse" and "if only I had done this or that...." The mental anguish continues to be the worst part of all, I'm afraid. Because pain on both sides of the groin and each leg's quads continues, I now wonder if the real problem has always been spinal, and that the thr could have been delayed. The surgeon had sent me for spinal xrays a week before the surgery, and the report from that reflected issues, but when I asked to discuss them, he said we would do that on the day of the operation. When I asked at that time, he brushed me off. So I now have that tormenting me.

In my experience hip surgeons do not have the knowledge to discuss spinal issues. Thus the brushoff you got. I would recommend you find a spinal expert who could confirm if you have issues and recommend a way forward.

So I now have that tormenting me.

Aww, so sad to read this. Sadly, you can't go back, so let's hope that you learn that your THR was not in vain. Prayers you find answers soon.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind in the interim.

Many of us have concurrent hip and spinal issues, either from arthritis or other trauma. I had successful back surgery about 10 years ago. So when my hip, knee and leg started flaring up a couple years ago the pain felt very similar to my previous back pain. After hip and knee xrays, and an MRI of my back the diagnosis was that I had a hip in serious need of replacement. But my surgeon warned me that while the hip replacement would address the hip pain, I still had arthritis and disks in my back that were bulging, and it would be possible that even after the hip surgery I would still have pain. In that case, he said it would be likely it was from the back, and we'd deal with that then. Fortunately for me, the hip surgery did take care of the most serious pain I had been having. But I still have back pain at times, and may need to resume PT to address that if it worsens.

So try not to second guess yourself. Most likely you did need a hip replaced. The way that insurances work, they need X-ray and other evidence to approve the initial replacement. And very likely you also have something else going on in your back, something you will need to address as well in some way. It can be so frustrating and I'm sure the longer this continues the harder it is to see the replacement as a benefit. I think your case is another example of how some surgeons do not communicate with their patients in a thorough, open manner. I hope you get answers soon. :flwrysmile:

Hi @motogirl
Stopping by to say hello and see how you're doing...
Would like to wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary, but realize you've been struggling. I hope your issues are resolving. Please know we're here if you could use any support. Wishing you comfort and healing.

Hello, everyone,

I dislocated two years ago, seven weeks post op. After six months of PT and being hyper vigilant about bending correctly, things got better. However, last night I bent to get something out of a lower cabinet and realized I was bending wrong when I felt and/or heard a slight click (can’t remember if I actually heard it). I immediately straightened and felt a scraping sort of sensation like something was being dragged back into place. I fear that I had been on the verge of dislocating but caught it in time. Since then, my entire groin, thigh and buttock have been aching. Now I’m worried that I loosened something. I’ll be getting it checked asap but hope that maybe it’s ok and that having some discomfort after an incident like this doesn’t necessarily mean revision surgery will be required. Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Thanks so much.

Hello @motogirl ,
Welcome back to the forum. I’m sorry you’re currently dealing with pain and uncertainty.

While I haven’t experienced what you’re describing, I’ve read of others dealing with similar incidents and sensations. I do feel you should connect with your surgeons office on this for advice and in the interim rest, ice and take OTC pain relievers if needed. What I thought of upon first reading was subluxation.
A subluxation is a partial dislocation. It occurs when the head of the femur is only partially displaced from its normal position in the hip socket. Unlike a dislocation, the head of the femur is not fully forced out of the socket. With that said, I am not a medical professional and this may not apply to you. Therefore I agree with your wise decision to have it checked as soon as possible and hopefully receive the reassurance you’re seeking. Please let us know what you find out. Wishing you peace of mind and comfort. :console2:

@motogirl Welcome back to BoneSmart! I moved your latest post to your original recovery thread. I can see you have already had an issue with this hip so having your history in one place helps us to advise you.

I agree with Layla - I would contact your surgeon and perhaps get an x-ray. This does sound like subluxation. But there is no way of determining if this is the case without proper diagnostics.

Please let us know how your appointment goes!

Thank you both so much for your insight. Now that I know the term for this , I’ve been reading about it and believe you are absolutely right. I think I caught it in time to avoid not being able to put weight on or walk; I can do both. But I do have pain. The regular dose of ibuprofen doesn’t help much and ice feels good. I was worrying about the implant loosening; hopefully it’s ok. And I certainly will report back after I see my doctor.

With respect to the pain I posted about last year…it started to go away about five months ago after I got orthotics. And that is because although the surgeon I used assured me that, with him as my surgeon, there would be no uneven leg length ( his words), there is. It’s slight…only 2 mm but enough to cause an issue.

I‘m happy to hear you found a solution to your pain with the orthotics. I believe, and I’m sure you do also that our surgeon’s work diligently toward the best outcome possible. With that said, I don’t know if it’s ever perfectly, perfect because as my surgeon’s PA reminded me, it’s a prosthetic and while it comes close, it will never match our natural hip before it began deteriorating. In my early days here a member once said that after suffering pain, if they’re only ever 95% better post op, they’ll take it. Words I haven’t forgotten and remind myself of when I’m missing perfect, lol. :wink:
I hope you have a peaceful evening and receive some reassurance this week.
@motogirl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks