Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Disinfecting surfaces when living on your own?

keith55

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
In one of the helpful guides in this useful section it mentions disinfecting commonly touches surfaces like taps and light switches.

Now as far as spreading infection I wonder what is gained if you live on your own and you are the only person who touches these surfaces?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I think the issue is that if you are exposed to the virus - say outside your home. Then you come home and touch things like door handles, appliances, etc. Even if you wash your hands when you get into your home, the virus can remain on hard surfaces you touch frequently.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
I've wondered the same thing, Keith, since I live by myself and only go out once every 2 weeks for groceries. The chances are probably fairly slim that I would have any viruses on surfaces at home.

But I've chosen to continue to wash my hands very often and at least daily disinfect the surfaces in my kitchen and bathroom. I feel that it's establishing a healthy routine that I'd like to continue after the pandemic is over. It just seems like a good practice for everyday life to put in this little extra effort.

One thing it's helped is with the small sugar ants that show up every spring for their summer vacation in my kitchen. I use Terro and it works, but they still come back at times and it takes weeks for the Terro to work. I still have them, but I've noticed that since I've kept the counter tops clear of clutter and am disinfecting at least once a day, they are much fewer. Bonus!

OP
OP
keith55

keith55

Country
Thanks that's helpful. I try to be disciplined and wash my hands before touching anything else when I come home - but that might not include the door handle. I also wash my hands after opening and reading letters and opening parcels. I don't wash letters though but leave them alone after reading.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Washing your hands after reading mail or opening delivery packages is all that's necessary. There is mixed guidance about how long the COVID-19 virus might remain viable on various surfaces. It's much easier just to remember to wash after handling something that may have been handled by others.

OP
OP
keith55

keith55

Country
I'd forgotten the bathroom tap and the walking stick handle - often the front door closes itself

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
bumfoot2020
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom