Revision THR Continuing left hip pain

@Layla, It all started out with me having pain on both sides of my hips. After going to the Dr. they told me I had FAI in both of my hips and torn labrums. I had my right hip done, then left. Then left again. After that, I got my new hip. Now I am waiting for my new "new" hip. All of this in just a couple years. Just scared my right hip is now messed up again after all of this mess.

I had my right hip done, then left.

Erica, was your right hip replaced? It's not reflected in your signature. If it was, please leave the date to be applied.

If it hasn't been replaced, I certainly hope you have more time and it's only fatigued from favoring Lefty.
@ebair23

Only one side replaced (left) only FAI surgery in right.

Ok, hopefully it doesn't lead to THR. But, if that's the predicted outcome and you did need to face an additional surgery, you could do it, you're a strong woman who's endured a lot. You could also view it as "get it over with" and truly move forward....if it becomes an issue.

Hopefully you have many good years left with Righty.
Wishing you comfort and if I could blink December 18th here for you I would.
Hang in there. :console2:
@ebair23

Aww :console2:

It's gonna get better - just hang in there! The protracted recovery and all of the issues with the first may be putting more pressure on the other. That might go away when you're able to go back to normal. If not, remember that each hip and each hip surgery is different. There's no reason to expect that you'll have issues with a THR on the other side. So, don't go borrowing trouble - just relax and see how things go. Waiting for surgery seems to be the hardest part of recovery!

Good lord. I don't know if I can make it to my scheduled surgery date..... So painful. Just keeps getting worse and worse. Anyone out there know an alternative way to help with pain?

@ebair23 you have been through so much and I know December has to seem like a lifetime away. Are you taking any OTC meds? Are you using ice or heat? I know ice didn't help before surgery but did after. I tended to use heat before though it didn't really stop the pain just gave me something to focus on besides the pain. I was going to say if you can safely get in and out of the tub maybe try a bubble bath with some Epsom salt. One of the new Tens that you can buy at the store?

Sorry I'm not more help just trying to come up with everything I can think of. :console2:

I'm so sorry. I'm not sure if you're taking anything. If not, please consider touching base with either your surgeon, or Primary Care Physician. If you're taking an OTC med, try switching it up, possibly trying a different type. The forum Nurse often recommends taking Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg, every six hours, but no more than 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You must also calculate anything else containing Acetominiphin into the 4000 mg so you're not exceeding that amount.

If you decide to try the Tylenol, taking it 4 times a day is most beneficial since most meds only remain fully effective in the system for 4-5 hours, no matter what the dose. So by taking it less often you may be going longer with no medication in your system, giving pain time to build so the next dose takes longer to be effective.

pain-chart-jpg.66967

As Elf mentioned above, try heat if you haven't yet. I used it in the weeks leading up to my surgery and while it didn't take away the pain, I did find it comforting. Try elevation and ice if you haven't for pain and any swelling you may be dealing with. Also there's Ten's as Elf mentioned, acupuncture, relaxation techniques, hypnosis and massage are all options I've heard utilized over time. Hopefully a little of each will get you through.

I wish you didn't have such a long wait, Erica, my heart goes out to you. Try to focus on the New Year and how you'll finally be moving forward. I know....easier said than done.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort. :console2:
@ebair23

Last edited:
Thanks to you both!

I go to pain management and have muscle relaxers and pain meds to take. The pain is so intense sometimes it is hard for anything to touch it. I will try the other ideas. I am up for anything. :)

Thanks again!

Erica :)

I do wish I could make time speed up for you, my long suffering friend.:console2:
I remember my horrid pain preop...I tried pretty much everything ONCE....hard core meds, OTC meds, homeopathic remedies, herbal supplements, heating pads, patches, :gaah:
If someone had said dip yourself in Elmers Glue and roll in pinestraw and I wouldve thought there was a chance in a million it would work, I would have tried it too.
I did settle in on a heating pad every evening...not tremendous help, but somewhat soothing.
Almost hate to think how sleep deprived you must be.
Prayers for comfort.

I do wish I could make time speed up for you, my long suffering friend.:console2:
I remember my horrid pain preop...I tried pretty much everything ONCE....hard core meds, OTC meds, homeopathic remedies, herbal supplements, heating pads, patches, :gaah:
If someone had said dip yourself in Elmers Glue and roll in pinestraw and I wouldve thought there was a chance in a million it would work, I would have tried it too.
I did settle in on a heating pad every evening...not tremendous help, but somewhat soothing.
Almost hate to think how sleep deprived you must be.
Prayers for comfort.
@Mojo333, :heehee: I think I would be exactly the same. I think I am going to try the heating pad tonight. Maybe it will help me sleep better. I wake up at least three times a night because of my leg throbbing in pain. If there is a small chance the heating pad will numb it down a bit, I will take that chance! Reading your post made me laugh. I needed that Thanks!

:thankyou:

Erica

I hope the calendar speeds up for your sake! If traditional meds aren't doing the trick, have you considered hypnosis or meditation? I went thru some biofeedback training years ago that helped me tremendously with migraines.

Thank you all for the concern. It makes me feel so good. I have my little 1 1/2 yo Granddaughter who makes me laugh every day. She and my dear supportive Husband are getting me thru this. :SUNsmile:

You'll get there.
Stop by whenever you need to be talked off the ledge.
We'll run to your rescue quickly....that's a promise! :wink:
You'll make it, Erica, I know you will.
Hugs
@ebair23

I have another thread started in the hip replacement recovery area. this is it. It is under Discouraged.

Jun 14, 2018

I am new to the site and have seen lots of people with THR experiences help others. I am hoping someone out there may be able to give me a little hope also.

I had an anterior THR in March. Two weeks out I felt great! I started to ween myself from my walker to my cane. Well, once I started putting more weight on my operated leg, I started to get sharp pain in my groin area. This pain increased and also spread to my knee (top part) and now I am 12 weeks out and can't walk without both crutches because of the pain.

My surgeon said the xrays look good and suggested I go to his colleague for a second opinion. I went and he said the same and scheduled me for more physical therapy to work on my hip flexors.

I am so bummed and now scared that it will just make it worse. I feel completely awful and in constant pain. Some days I wake up and feel like I can walk, and I start off OK, but eventually the pain comes back and it's awful.

Anyone else out there know where I'm coming from?

Do I continue to post updates etc on that thread, or do I make an entirely new one here?

Thanks!

Erica

Do I continue to post updates etc on that thread, or do I make an entirely new one here?

@ebair23 - I have copied the above post (Post #298) from the December Supernovas surgery list and put it into your own pre-op thread.

The monthly surgery lists are just for recording who is having surgery around the same time as you are. They are not for pre-op updates, conversations, or questions. Please use your own thread (this one) for those.

Hi @ebair23 :hi:
I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and are celebrating that it is Finally December!!!
:happyfeet:I will dance for you until you can get through the next weeks and get this hip fixed.
Hugsxxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back