Lounge Doctor

THR Discouraged

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
United States United States
@Layla I have contacted my ortho. I left a message and haven’t heard back yet. Hopefully they are working. :angel:

I’ll let you know when I Do hear something. Also, my bp and my pvc’s are still a mess also have lung issues. I have a lung functions test at the end of the month. This last surgery was a mess. Had blood transfusions and oxygen and was in the hospital for days. Just glad it I'm over it. ☺ Thank you all for all the concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for updating, Erica.
I am sorry you continue to struggle with issues. I hope things begin to improve for you. Wishing you a good outcome with your lung function test at the end of the month.
Prayers for healing...stay in touch.
@ebair23

Bfam85

senior
Country
You will be in my prayers, as well, Erica. xox

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
These are my test results from my x-ray. I have no clue what they really mean. Any way you do?

Impression
1. Left hip arthroplasty with stable mild lucency near the prosthesis femoral stem tip. The findings are consistent with loosening.

Reading Workstation: PHRAD80
Narrative
Parkview Health
Diagnostic Imaging Report

EXAM INFORMATION:
Examination: XRAY PELVIS 1 OR 2 VIEWS
Date of Exam: 4/20/2020 2:14 pm
Diagnosis/Reason for Exam: Pain, unspecified
Additional History: Left lateral and anterior hip pain. Per pt popping sensation. Hx of replacement. Views requested by ordering physician
Comparison: RAD - Pelvis - 1 or 2 Views dated 3/3/2020; RAD - Pelvis - 1 or 2 Views dated 3/14/2018
Number of Images: 3

DISCUSSION:
Bones: Previous left hip arthroplasty. Moderate symphysis pubis osteoarthritis. Moderate sacroiliac osteoarthritis. Mild right hip osteoarthritis. Mild facet osteoarthritis. Stable lucency near the tip of the left hip prosthesis. No fracture.
Soft tissues: Numerous benign pelvic phleboliths.

Bfam85

senior
Country
Hello @ebair23 … while I do not know how to interpret your x-rays results, I do read that the impression was that of loosening of the stem. You had your revision back in December, right? Have you spoken with your OS or the person who ordered these x-rays? I do hope that I am reading this incorrectly.

I wish I could reach through this screen and hug you, but I cannot....One thing I know, you need intervention by a surgeon who will fight with you for a successful outcome. There are so many on these boards who have not had perfect outcomes at first, but after getting additional help, understanding and treatment, they are now enjoying the life they hoped for before hip replacement.

I do pray that for you too. xox

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @ebair23, not quite sure what the impression comments mean for sure. When do you get to see the OS again to discuss this xray? Would definitely want to get his take on the xrays, not just read the report. Keep us posted please.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Well, at least it reports as a stable lucency.. I would take that as a positive.
Other than that I think it's best to hear the diagnosis from your OS.
Glad to see that you have a message in to him and hopefully he will reply soon. If it were me, I would become the squeaky wheel, calling multiple times if needed, to get his attention.

There's been several times that a radiology report would look and sound so serious and then my Dr would reassure me that it wasn't as it sounded.. I hope this is the case for you, too.

I am going to tag @Jamie to get her insight--she has many medical advisors that are involved with this forum who possibly can help to give a clearer picture, especially when you can't reach your OS during the pandemic.

Are you still having the popping or painful sensations?
@ebair23

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
Thanks. I am still having them.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@ebair23 .... the results of the x-ray seem to indicate loosening at the tip of the stem. I'm so sorry to read this after all you've been through. Of course, you won't know for sure until you talk with your surgeon. I agree that you should bug the office daily to hear something. They need to get back to you with a plan.

You mentioned having breathing issues too. Is that still a problem and, if so, did you ever get the lung functions test?

Where is the pain and popping that you're experiencing? Please use this chart and identify the area(s) by the grid numbers and letters as in the example on the left.
1588124501225.png

Can you tell me the name of the surgeon you've been working with?

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
1. Breathing issues----- I am still having breathing issues. shortness of breath. I have a lung function test coming up. It got moved to June though.

2. My popping (when it happens) and the pain associated with it is in the area of T L2F & T L3F.

I have also had problems with pain in other areas. T L1B, w,x, & y L2F and in my operated leg knee. It is not all the time, but it is there more often than not.

I go to Ortho Indy.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m sorry you continue to struggle, Erica.
Breathing issues / shortness of breath must be difficult. My heart goes out to you in your ongoing situation. I’m sure, Jamie, will read your response but let’s tag her so we’re assured she doesn’t miss it.
@Jamie

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Would you be able to tell me the actual name of the surgeon. Knowing the clinic can be helpful, but it's the surgeon that I really would like to see.

At least some of your pain is consistent with a tip of the stem loosening.

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
Sorry @Jamie. Yes, It is Dr Crichlow. He has been great. I am just really worried that i have been going thru all of these surgeries and never gonna get "fixed".

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Thanks for the additional information. I'm glad you are pleased with your surgeon. Can you tell me what approach he used for your original THR and then for the revision? Was it anterior, posterior, superpath, or a lateral version for each procedure?

Please try not to worry. In some cases it takes a while to get all the problems sorted out. But we'll be right here to support you until you get to that "happy place."

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
My surgeon for my original Total Hip replacement was a different Dr. Johnson at Ortho NorthEast in Ft. Wayne, IN. I am not 100% sure what the two replacements are called. :oyvey:The first scar is in the front of my hip. The second one is on the side/back.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Erica,
Possibly this will help you determine an answer for Jamie.
Take a look and see what you think...
@ebair23

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
Thanks @Layla. I would say by my scars that it was anterior - through the front and antero-lateral - through the side. @Jamie

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great news!
Best of luck to you, Erica. We look forward to hearing from you when you have the time to update us on your appointment.

Just a FYI - Josephine the forum nurse retired several months ago. Just wanted you to know that she will neither see your tag, nor respond.

Fingers crossed you get some questions answered tomorrow. :fingersx:
@ebair23

OP
OP
ebair23

ebair23

Country
Just got back to Huntington from my ortho appointment in Indy. What has been decided as of now is I am to do extra stretching of my hip flexors for two weeks which I have been doing. Then if it’s still popping and bothering me then I have to get an injection. And then after that he is talking about going in and just cutting my band in there and taking the wires that are holding my bone together out because they’re causing issues and so… I will probably have to have is another small surgery here coming up. He said that the popping could be caused by those wires in my hip around my bone, or by that tendon that he is talking about cutting.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
hopnfox
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom