Direct Superior Approach

plinej

Country
United States United States
Has anyone had this or scheduled for this?

No but there are a few of us that have had SuperPath that are currently active on here. Not quite the same but related (SuperPath is combo of direct superior and PATH).

SuperPATH is the usual name for a direct posterior approach.

@plinej you appear to have failed to fill in some of the information during your registration.
So would you please supply me with your state and your gender so I can complete it for you.

I have just done my second direct superior hip replacement (the first was 3y ago) and can hardly recommend it strongly enough, at least in the hands of DWard at NEBH Boston. Zero precautions and straightforward, fairly quick recovery, with the usual major ('why did I do this?') discomforts for the first couple weeks. Can't wait to get back to geezerball like the last round.

(Anent nomenclature, Ward called his approach, 3y ago, direct superior slight supercap; he trained w SMurphy, the Superpath guy, and I got Ward's name from Murphy's office, which was scheduling over a year out. I did not know either doc, just wanted to be able to return to bball. Have not yet gotten his op note for this latest TH.)

Last edited:
I've had one hip done Direct Superior and am about to have the 2nd done. Dr. Kelly here in W. Mass--he did a fellowship at NEBH. Easy recovery, no pain meds other than acetaminophen, only precautions are common sense--if it hurts or feels funny don't do it.

I can’t agree enough. I had my first one done a month ago. Second hip scheduled for June 28. How far apart are your two surgeries!
Mary

I would have to change my insurance and wait until 2020 to get insurance coverage with an OS in my area who does this approach. Sigh...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member