THR Ding ding Round 3

Hi @Layla and @CricketHip , had my checkup yesterday which went well and it’s exactly as you predicted @CricketHip , my muscles are weak therefore I’m being referred to the physio service for some intensive exercise and correction of my gait. I know the physio at our local hosp well as attended her during my knee replacement recoveries so don’t have any qualms about what she will have me doing. Hopefully in another few weeks I’ll be ditching the crutch :running:

Wonderful news! Especially if you have a good relationship with your PT.
I can tell you are excited to get started, too!
:chuckmarch:
please let us know how it goes ?

Hi @Layla and @CricketHip , had my checkup yesterday which went well and it’s exactly as you predicted @CricketHip , my muscles are weak therefore I’m being referred to the physio service for some intensive exercise and correction of my gait. I know the physio at our local hosp well as attended her during my knee replacement recoveries so don’t have any qualms about what she will have me doing. Hopefully in another few weeks I’ll be ditching the crutch :running:
Hello, I also had a checkup and was told my muscles are too weak. Have you started your PT yet? Can you please tell me how it goes when you do start? I have my evaluation appointment tomorrow andI'm not sure if they will be giving me exercises then or not. I won't be back for another week if we are able to travel to see my son (ie government doesn't shut down travel because of the virus). Best wishes on a full recovery. :)

@Grammy57, at present I’m doing the pt that the physio in the hosp gave me before I was discharged. I received an appointment yesterday for March 30th, however I’m fully expecting that to be cancelled as our local hospital is in the process of cancelling all outpatient clinics for the foreseeable future due to the Coronavirus crisis. My only saving grace is the hosp physio at our local hosp (not the hosp I got replacement in) lives in the same village as myself so I will be able to make contact with her and hopefully she could perhaps email me the exercises I require. I certainly dont want to be left with this limp for the rest of my days. I’ll keep you posted as to how I go.

@Lilli215 I'm so sorry about the possibility of cancellation. My PT has been suspended. I got in 1 visit to learn exercises before the state forced the closure. I would have responded sooner but my computer won't turn on. I am using a borrowed computer now. I hope you are doing well. How are you being affected by the virus? President Trump extended the quarantine until the end of April and our economy is suffering. I am praying daily that God puts an end to the madness. Store shelves are almost bare, etc. I did a lot of walking last week and now my operated leg feels longer again. But, since I've had this feeling before and I know it will end, I'm not too concerned. Stay safe.

Grammy57 as forecast my appointment with the physio was cancelled, however she phoned me to ascertain exactly what I was experiencing. She the emailed me a new set of more intensive exercises and a couple of elastic Therabands. So between my original exercises and the new ones it takes about 45 minutes to do them all and I’m doing them three times a day. She says I wont see a difference until between 6-12 weeks. By the time this is finished I’ll have buns of steel :dancy: so only 10 days into the new regime and maybe a slight improvement but still need my elbow crutch. Husband and I have been in isolation now for nearly 3 weeks due to underlying health conditions. I have good days and bad days but just try to take it one day at a time. I have asthma so terrified of catching it. The economy is wrecked in UK also, the govt is paying employees 80% of their salary if their job isn’t classed as essential and also supporting individual business owners which is good however we will all be hit by raised taxes etc when this is over to pay it all back so the prediction is we will plunge back into more years of austerity and recession. !!! It’s a nightmare time all around the world, stay safe xx

@Lilli215 Well, good news/bad news, eh? Please promise me that if the new exercises begin to cause pain that you will back off or maybe only do them every other day and let your body recover?
It can be a fine line between exercising enough vs. too much and starting some other symptom.

I'm sure you know this already, but hey, I am a world class worrywart.
I began some PT at almost 12 weeks, maybe a little earlier, I guess I need to re-read my thread! But it exacerbated my symptoms of tendinitis so I stopped and let it heal more- then slowly added some exercises back.

The bands, especially make me nervous. It isn't a bad thing to maybe start with only 2-3 repetitions until you see how you do. :) :-) (:

I have asthma also. I never can get a simple cold without my lungs chiming in. Trying to be safe and smart here on the East Coast.

It's interesting to see how your country is handling Covid vs ours and others. We are living history!

Last edited:
Hello and Happy Wednesday, Lilli :hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary too!
I hope you continue to enjoy progress with your right hip.

It sounds as though you’re engaging in a pretty ambitious workout routine if it takes 45 minutes and you’re doing it 3X daily. How is it working out for you? I hope if any of the exercises or bands cause you pain, you’ll reconsider, giving yourself more time to heal. If you’re not already, you may find icing preventively after each session beneficial.
Have a great week, take care and stay well!
@Lilli215

Hi @Lilli215

I've just discovered your thread.
You can see from my thread that my surgery date was close to yours . My UK surgeon is of the building up walking and minimal physio group.
Let us know how your exercises are going and are they helping or hindering ?
Stay well during these difficult times

Hi @Yorkshire lass ,@Layla and @ CricketHip thanks for your comments and concerns. Rest assured I’m not doing anything silly or extreme. The bands are only used as resistance in 2 of the exercises, squatting and lying on back with knees bent, band above the knees then you tighten your gluteal muscles and your knees move apart against the bands. I take a day off every four days. There is a slight improvement last night I walked from bedroom to bathroom without crutch and not much of a limp. Early days but it was a positive sign so hoping improvement continues. It’s a beautiful day here in Scotland and it’s been so nice to get out into the garden, potter about and trying to forget this dreadful world we’re living in!! Wishing everybody a lovely Easter although we can’t be with those we love, this will pass, we will get through this then I dont know about anyone else but I’m organising a fine party to celebrate :happydance::dancy::flwrysmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to read you’re doing well and enjoying some pleasant weather in Scotland.
I think many of us will feel like throwing a party once the chokehold has been loosened.
Strange times indeed.
Stay healthy and enjoy the remainder of the week! :SUNsmile:
@Lilli215

Like you @Lilli215 thanks for update and physio details .
I’m always amazed how many Fitbit steps I’ve done around the house and garden .
Keep pottering and Happy Easter to you too

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lilli!
I hope all is well with you and you’re enjoying steady progress. We’d love to hear how you’re doing when you have time to share.
Wishing you a pleasant weekend and all the best as you continue healing.
@Lilli215

Hi Layla, thanks for checking in. Progress is slow but there is a definite improvement. I can manage about the house mostly without having to use the elbow crutch, however it is still a necessity outdoors. The physio has said it will be a long journey so I’m having to be patient. Lockdown is certainly affording me plenty of time to carry out my exercises so I guess every cloud etc. Hope everyone onsite are coping sell with the lockdown , hopefully it will start to loosen up in next month or so. Take care x

Hello Lilli :wave:
Progress is slower for some, but it’s still progress. Good to hear you’re moving forward, thanks for responding. Using the crutch outdoors is wise as it’s a clear signal for others to steer clear.

The restrictions imposed on us all by the pandemic are tiring some days. One day rolls into the next. There have been a few days I’ve woken up and wondered what day it was. :sad:
Once you retire, or are under “stay at home” orders its easy to lose track of days. Sunday’s are easy because it’s the day the big paper comes. :heehee:

I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Lilli215

I hope you are doing well. I am back to PT. She told me we were going to do something new on my next visit. I hope this is good. I was going to not return as I felt I wasn't getting any better. I will go once more and see if the "new" things help or not. Still have some groin pain at times, not constant but there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom