THR Ding ding Round 3

Lilli215

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone, have moved over from pre-op site. 2 days post op TRHR , it’s 2.30 in the morning and I can’t sleep. Still in hospital and not getting home until Sunday as weather has closed in and no ferries running to my home on the Isle of Arran on west coast of Scotland. I just can’t get comfortable, sleeping on my back is impossible, nurses have said I can sleep on my side with pillows between my knees but that’s so uncomfortable it’s a definite no no. So sitting here counting the minutes, there was a couple of folks having surgery on same day as me (8th Jan) hope they’re doing ok

Hi Lilli215,

Glad to read that your surgery is over. I've been reading about the weather in GB, one month's worth of rain in one day and 70mph winds according to the headline. Hope it calms down so you can get back home.

Hi @Lilli215...
Congrats on your new hip!
In a way it's good that the weather closed in and you'll stay at the hospital a bit longer. Sleeping on your side, even with the pillows between your legs is pretty hard if not impossible only hours after the surgery.
I also had difficulties sleeping on my back but eventually your body gives up and you will feel asleep.
Hope your pain is well managed.

Sleep always seems to be an issue with recovery. Congratulations on being done with the surgery. I am sorry you cannot go home for a while since there is no place like home. Getting comfortable does eventually get easier.

@Lilli215 congratulations on your arrival to the recovery side. I remember that one night I spent in the hospital after THR, unable to sleep or get comfortable, having to call for assistance every hour to use the bathroom. Awful. Next time I will ask for a sleep aid. I hope the weather clears and you get to go home soon.

Hi everyone, have moved over from pre-op site. 2 days post op TRHR , it’s 2.30 in the morning and I can’t sleep. I just can’t get comfortable, sleeping on my back is impossible, nurses have said I can sleep on my side with pillows between my knees but that’s so uncomfortable it’s a definite no no.

Congratulations @Lilli215 on your new hip, and I hope you recover completely and quickly. I'm a side sleeper, but I did get used to sleeping on my back after a time. I hope the weather clears so you can go home, but in the meantime at the hospital you might ask for something to relax you so you can fall asleep. :flwrysmile:

Hi @Lilli215 and welcome to the recovery side! I feel your frustration with the lack of comfortable sleep, is there a recliner in your room, by chance? I had far better luck in sleeping that way for the first few weeks. Or maybe you can adjust your hospital bed to mimic a recliner?
That's pretty amazing about taking a ferry to go home,, right now that is most likely a pain in the butt for you, but it sounds very cool to me!

I see from your signature that this isn't your first joint replacement but would still love to leave you the Hip Recovery guidelines, maybe you will find some little nugget that helps.

Good luck with your homecoming on Sunday! May it be a nice sunny day.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi Lilli,
Just a hello from a friendly Scot from Fort William who spent a lot of my younger days on Arran! I'm currently recovering from a terrible accident where my hip was broken by a young neighbour who fell off my roof while I was kindly holding the ladder for him. Och, now! Wishing you a speedy recovery and I can't flippin' sleep either.

:hi: @Lilli215
So sorry there is a delay in getting back to familiar surroundings and out of the clinical setting of a hospital.
First days are rough indeed...but All Temporary. These words were my mantra that helped to keep my anxiety in check..somewhat:unsure:

Hope you get home soon...
Healing hugs coming your way :console2:

Last edited:
:wave: @Lilli215, welcome to the healing side, sorry to hear you're stick in the hospital due to travel and weather snafus. Didn't see any mention of pain issues so that's a good thing. Try to make the best of this temporary situation and I hope the weather breaks so you can go home tomorrow.

Thanks for your kind wishes everyone. Today has been a long one, got two hours sleep last night but not consecutively. Absolutely shattered so have asked for some Oxycodone tonight to see if that will help. Break in the weather tomorrow so ‘I’m going home I’ve done my time’ not sure if they’ll be any yellow ribbons out but as long as that ferry sails I dont care!! @Kodiak, been in Fort William many a time, what an unlucky accident but have to ask was your neighbour injured or did you take the big hit!!!!!

Hi Lilli, you will feel so much better at home with your familiar things. Hope you have a more restful sleep.

I was the skinny mattress for the rather oversized lad!

We're all on this journey together so look forward to your updates. Take care and I'll be thinking of you on the ferry. ( I am not a good sailor!)

This forum definitely makes the world feel smaller. Great, isn't it?

Glad to see you on the healing side! What helped me learn to sleep on my back, before surgery ( because side sleep with a folded pillow was still to difficult) was placing something on my cheek to lean onto when I turned my head to my favorite side, in addition to the pillow, such as a rolled small towel or a neck pillow.

I hope the weather clears and you will be home soon. :flwrysmile:

Hoping you are on your way home today on the ferry. I can’t even imagine managing that !!! I had surgery jan 6 and only stayed one night in hospital. They actually wanted me to go home that day which was not happening of course I got very little sleep. I have been sleeping in a lift recliner which is working great. It will be part of my body by the time I decide to sleep upstairs would love to chat about your country. Visited there 2 years ago and fell in love with Edinburgh. My mom was born there so I was was very excited to see her homeland. I am wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to your updates!

Hello :wave:
Congrats on your new hip!
Glad you made it home safely. There's no place like you're own space to truly relax. I hope you're able to get some restorative rest tonight without the unwelcome interuptions of your surgery site.
Wishing you comfort as you begin your healing journey!
@Lilli215

Hi everybody had not too bad a night, first couple of hours were a nightmare trying to find the best combination of pillows to get me comfy, was in and out the bed like a yoyo (who needs physio!!). Eventually fell asleep and that was me for seven hours, however that was due to a heavy dose of codeine and sheer exhaustion. Don’t expect to get seven straight hours tonight.

Don't know if anyone told you but the first 2 weeks suck, no nice way to put it. Pain medicine is given for a good reason and it's a good idea to take it as prescribed. If you got 7 hours sleep 3 days out you're doing better than 90% of us. You can't have enough pillows sometimes and a pillow between your legs helps too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie