• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Ding ding Round 3

Lilli215

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello, have moved over to this forum after spending time on the knee forum after getting two new knees, one in 2017 and one in 2019. Am now on waiting list for right hip replacement which is going to take place in January 2020. Hopefully will pick up lots of useful information over next 3 months. Will be so glad to get to end of the surgery road:dancy:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:hi: and welcome to the Hip Side.
Triple bionic and ready to get back to life in 2020:wow:

Many say hips are a bit easier recovery so I'm sure you will do beautifully.
At over 2 years out, I'm still grateful and thrilled to have my life back without that neverending pain.:chuckmarch:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Love your thread title:yes:
Let's knock this out!:yes!:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
Welcome to the hip side of the forum. I’m sure you will find some helpful information and lots of support as I’m sure you already know from the knee forum. I, too, have heard and read that hips are easier than knees so this will be a walk in the park :heehee: for you. Wishing you well!!

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
Thanks for your answers, I’ve also been told that hips are easier than knees but after reading the info booklet from the hospital I’m not so sure. It’s advising that you should sleep on your back for first six weeks, I just can’t do that, I’m a side sleeper on my righthand side and yip you’ve guessed it, what hip is being replaced:groan:
It also advises that you can sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs, I’m such a restless sleeper it’ll be fun keeping that in place! Anyone got any advice?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Lilli215
A recliner works short term if you have one. If you don't, look into renting one, if interested, many have.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recliner-chairs-things-you-need-to-know-if-buying-one-for-your-recovery.21212/
It is often reported that hips ARE and easier recovery than knees. I'm sure others will offer feedback.
You'll be tired enough to fall asleep on your back, I'm betting. May not be comfortable and it may cause frequent waking if you're not used to it, but you will sleep I'm sure. Sleeping with a pillow between your legs is advised and personally I think it's comfortable, but like you, I often find it on the floor when waking for a bathroom break midway through the night. Do your best, it's all you can do. You'll figure it out.
Happy Wednesday!

firstx1017

Country
Looks like we will be hip buddy's! I'm having my left hip done on 1/16/20 and right hip 3 months after that.

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
@firstx1017 I dont have an actual date yet but my surgeon has promised me it will be January, I could’ve had it done in December but wanted to get Xmas out of the way first. Will be good to have someone going through it at same time :yahoo:

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
@Layla, I have recliners but as I’m tall they’re too short and my feet and ankles hang over the edge. As you say I’ll work it out. The biggest bugbear I had with both knees was lack of sleep, averaged between 2& 3 hours only per night until about the six week mark. Imagine the same will happen again !

yorkiegs1

Country
Hi Lilli215,
I slept in the recliner on my back for the first week. I’m 5’6”. I rented a leather lift recliner that went all the way back. I never used the lift part bcuz I wanted to get in out by myself. I liked that it went all the way back. I used a king size flannel sheet over it and had my pillow under my feet n under my legs and a comfy blanket. By week 2 I moved to the bed. On my back. U get use to it as I’m a side sleeper too. By week 4 I was able to sleep in the non op side with s pillow between my legs n by week 6 could sleep on the op side with pillow between my legs. I had hard time sleeping on occasion when I napped during the day. But today 3 months later I still sleep with pillow between my legs as I find it comfortable.
You will find what’s best for you. Good Luck!!

leejaa

post-grad
Country
Hip recovery is easier than the knees. You do not need to regain bend, just learn to walk again without pain so have to relearn not to limp if you got used to it pre op. I have had both knees done and one hip already and will have the other hip done in Nov. I had great knee recoveries and the hip but it was easier not not have to work on bending.

Recliner was my go to place for the first week or so just so I could get up easily and not worry about turning or moving my leg about. That is not to say that I slept 8 hours straight but in increments as you stated. After a bit you can get in bed and I just kept pillows (body pillows and king size pillows for elevation and around me to remind me not to turn and after a few weeks I could turn on my non op side with pillow between legs so that the leg did not cross my midline.

Like the knees, not fun but all doable to get to the pain free life we want.

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
Thanks @leejaa , how painful was the hip in the first couple of weeks compared to your knees?

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Lilli215 Oh boy, a hip replacement now? That's my biggest worry, that another joint will leave me in a literal lurch! I've always felt crunching in my knees but never have had real pain with them. But sorry you are facing this again!
Well, I know it's not what you hoped for but welcome to the hip side of things! :flwrysmile:

leejaa

post-grad
Country
I cannot answer as to how painful my hip compared to the knee since I had excellent pain control with both. Never really had bad knee pain post op with either knee. Took my pain meds and Tylenol regularly and weaned down as I was able with both the knees and the hip and if I remember correctly by 4 wks with the hip I was totally off pain meds. I am a great believer after the 3 joints that pain meds on a regular basis are great at the beginning. I had no issues weaning down and off them as the mobility and pain decreased. The other thing is that I elevated a lot - almost constantly at first and iced pretty much non stop.

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
@leejaa yes I elevated and iced constantly with both knees. Suffered a bit of pain as I can’t tolerate opiod analgesia, good to know by four weeks out you didn’t need any painkillers, hopefully I’ll be the same

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
Hip seems to be easier. At six weeks out not on any pain meds.. Was on Tylenol only after day 10. Sleeping may depend on your approach and any restrictions. I had none and by day 10 was sleeping right on the staples. Not too bad. I too am a right side sleeper and had anterolateral approach.. I did use the recliner for the first five or six days but did use bed after that with a pillow between my knees sleeping on my non op side and non used to side.

Knee was not too bad. After a month I could get around pretty well and went museuming and dining out but my recollection of the time frame was that the knee was uncomfortable for a longer period of time.

I think I was off opoids for both at about 8 days. I don't recall cooking with knee right away but I did with hip after about day three. Full dinners for hubby. Some were simple. Others were risotto.

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@Lilli215 I am having a tilt chair delivered tomorrow because I am a side sleeper, and I do not have someone to slide a pillow under my legs, if I have any limitations. I have two bad hips and will have the first surgery either at the end of December or January, so we may be close in our dates. I will know next week. I may even have a knee replacement in my future, so the chair will serve me well.
In my community the rental rate per month for a lift recliner is $125 and it only comes in plastic so it can be sanitized.
I was able to get a Breg Polar Care Kodiak ice therapy system with an extended hip pad on e-bay, used for less than 20% of the retail cost. I sanitized it and I am using it today as a pre-surgery therapy. Usually it is used after surgery. It is helping me a bit, and I can detach it and walk around for a bit before connecting for colder water.

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
Well now got a date for my surgery, 8th January, so will be starting 2020 with a new hip:egypdance:. The hip has become much more stiff and painful over the last month so will be so glad to get the op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carreg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom