Difficulty after 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganganto2

I had a right hip replacement March 19, 2007. Six weeks after surgery, I was told that I had a crack in the femur from reaming out. I am still having pain in groin, lower back, and am still taking pain meds. It's been over 3 months, I have gone back to work last week, but also still limp, and need a cane at times. I was also told my left hip is 30% gone. How long can I expect before I have to have another surgery? Appreciate any help to enlighten me. Am very frustrated since I have a disabled husband in a wheel chair, amputated leg, and very serious cardiac disease, and he depends on me to take care of him.

From my experience (40 years as an ortho nurse) most surgeons don't like to do the second hip until at least six months after the first just to make sure you're really recovered. Plus if you had the added complication of a cracked shaft - rotten bad luck that, ganganto - he might prefer to wait even a little longer because when you've had it done you will, of course, be applying an extra burden to that leg.

From my experience watching friends recover from hip replacements, rehab varies considerably from person to person and while some may bounce back in a matter of only a few months, others may take a year or more to shed the last bit of a reminder like the limp and/or the cane. But the majority are somewhere in the middle. Sounds to me like you could be one of those.

Thanks so much for your response! I have been so down about my progress, but now feel I'm about average in my recovery. Somehow, my doctor makes me feel like I'm not trying hard enough, or doesn't believe me.

When I try to tell him that my new hip feels like something tied around the top of my thigh, with pain, he just says that's ok. Am not sleeping much at night because of pain and achy in my leg. When I get up after sitting,I'm very stiff and takes several steps before I'm able to walk right. This is like it was before surgery. But my doctor will see me again in 3 months, so guess I will have to tolerate all this til then.

Not the most helpful or encouraging of responses, I'd agree! But he is right. You sound like you're doing fine. Sorry to use an old and very well-worn cliche but it takes time. One day you'll get up and think "Oh, I haven't thought about ---- (fill in blanks with symptom of your choice!) for weeks/months now"!

That's when you'll know!

Another thing - try keeping a diary and each day, give yourself a 1-10 rating for things like pain levels and mobility. If you're honest with yourself about it, in a few weeks you'll look back and realise you are making progress. Just that's it's slow.

I've been online reading some other posts, and a question occurred to me. I had the MIS (about 4 inch incision) on my hip. It was 6 weeks before the doctor told me about the cracked femur. Would that be because they couldn't see it during the surgery, and didn't know themselves until they x-rayed it at my 6 weeks visit. So I was putting my full weight on the leg during that time. Maybe that's why healig has seemed so slow. I have read where fractures happen during surgery and use wiring or other options to secure. What do you think?
Thanks, Lynda

It's a well known possible complication and should, in my opinion, be on the list of "informed consent" patients are told about pre-op. But having said that, I would conjecture that it is highly unlikely the surgeon didn't know at the time of operation. The question is, in my opinion, why were you not told about it then?

The last few years of my career, it was standard practice (UK) to do a check x-ray on patients in the recovery room before they even went back to the ward! Mostly it was to ensure the head was located in the socket but other things like this were checked out as well.

So - did they xray your hip at all in the hospital? Of course, even if they did, there's always the possibility that the crack was masked by the stem of the prosthesis in the early films. Either way I would have expected them to tell a patient before this.

As I said before - rotten bad luck. I hope you find yourself improving very soon.

Thanks again for the info...I feel that you have enough experience to relate to my questions, and it's certainly easier than talking to my doctor, sad to say!!

Another question...I am still havingt a lot of swelling in my lower leg and around my ankle even after over 3 months. Is this normal after hip surgery, or is because of the crack in my femur? I'm doing a lot of swimming and doing my exercises in the pool, and in the house, but could I be overdoing it and causing the swelling. Of course, I still have a lot of lifting to take care of my disabled husband, and working a job full time. So I'm always very busy.

Wow! Sounds like you have your hands full

What kind of job have you? Is it a desk job?

I ask because it occurs tor me it might be dependent eodema - meaning swelling because you leg is hanging down. It is a frequent complication of surgery on the lower limb.

If you have a desk job, would it be possible to keep your foot on a small stool? Or wearing support hose might help.

But yes, it is possibe you're overdoing it. Not in the physical exercise way but in the being on your feet too much way! So what you really need is to spend more time with your feet up if that's at all possible.

Yes, I do have a desk job. I am an administrative assistant and accountant at a church. I've been there 35 years. I do a lot of walking there because it's a 3-story building and very big. My assistant has been doing a lot of the leg work since I've been back at work, but I still try to stand up and move around at least every 30 minutes just for the exercise. I also get very stiff and can't walk too good if I sit too long. I work 8 hours a day 5 days a week, but sometimes carry work home with me.

Of course, my husband is in a wheelchair. and has not been able to wear his prothesis because his leg won't heal. It's now been one year since the amputation... he had MRSA staph infection in his foot. He's also had 5 heart bypasses which all failed, 14 stents, diabetes, and is now becoming very depressed. The doctor also told me last week that he's concerned about his other leg and foot, he says it's only a matter of time before he gets a sore, and will probably lose his other leg. But I have a lot of faith and hope. God has been good!! And He will carry us through all of this.

I also lost my mother 2 months ago, so it's been rough dealing with my recovery along with everything else. Thanks for giving me someone to talk to, it has truly been a blessing and has meant a lot!!!
Lynda

Ah! A fellow church lady!! Greetings!

You certainly seem to have your hands full and my heart goes out to you, also your husband. I wish I could do more/offer more advice to help.

But you do need to put that leg up as much as you can!

Blessings
Jo

Hey there Ganganto! You are one tough cookie! You've taken on quite a lot for both yourself and your hubby. Keep up the good work - and make sure YOU speak with your husband's doc ASAP. Sounds like he needs some help with that expected depression. Taking care of him will help you both. He'll feel more in control and able to give you a bit of the emotional support you need as well. Do you have any family or close friends who can help? You know that the people who offer honestly WANT to help, right?
Hang in there... you're getting better all the time. Josephne's suggestion of a diary or journal is a great way to see how far you've come from where you've started! Keep you eyes here too for all of the long=distance support we an muster!
Janet

Janet,
It is so good to hear from another supporter!!! It means so much to me to have someone to express my real feelings. I do have family, but I know they have families, jobs, and very busy lives. I try not to burden them too much, but they have been very good to help out, especially after my surgery. My daughter and her family moved in for a month to help us. And my son comes by or calls every day. I also have a twin sister and two brothers. But I always feel like they get tired of my problems. I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just that everyone is so busy.

As for my husband getting help with his depression, he refuses to believe he could possibly be depressed. Guess it's a "man" thing. He just won't admit it. He has also become very irritable with me, and he's just not himself. He's also on about 21 different medication each day. But there are people with much worse problems than I have, and I lean on my faith and trust in God, and pray a lot. Thanks again for the messages and all the support.
Lynda

Well, you know that we will always be here and ready to listen and offer what support we can. You will be in my prayers.

Sorry I haven't gotten back, but I've been out of town with my husband. he's having an indium scan to see if there could be some infection hiding in his body and keeping his leg from healing. It's a 4-day test, so we have to travel back and forth each day.

I also took a fall over the weekend and fell on my knee on same side as my hip surgery. Also hurt other leg and my neck. I had to see my doctor, but he is still concerned over my other hip, even though my ankle on operated side still swells. He wants me to take a prednisone pack, so guess maybe that will help temporarily. I know that I'm going to be facing surgery on other hip at some point in time. Just wonder how long I can wait.

So sorry to hear about your fall, ganganto. That's all you needed!!

Hello Josephine

Having just joined the forum and read your posts, it makes my situation seem trivial (uneven length). God is Good and thank you for that reminder.

I hope 2008 brings better health for you both. Keep on praising our Lord

Glenis

glenis said:
God is Good and thank you for that reminder.

I hope 2008 brings better health for you both. Keep on praising our Lord

Glenis

glenis - I have only one thing to say to that!

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_07e6abaff6.jpg

Now I better make that the last of the fun images for a while else I'll be getting a letter from the boss!

Happy New Year, everyone!

I have not been on the site in quite some time, but rec'd an email, so thought I'd update you on my difficult recovery. AFter several falls at home and several other places, an MRI was done of my neck because of pain. They found I had 2 herniated discs in my neck, one pressing on the spinal cord and also spinal stenosis. I was then sent to a neuro surgeon, who ordered MRI's of my brain, neck, thoracic, and lumbar. It was found I have 4 more herniation in my thorasic (very rare they say), and 2 herniated in lower back, total of 8 herniated discs. Guess that's why I was having such a difficult time healing from hip surgery. Guess pulling and lifting with my husband like he is doesn't help. But the Lord is in control and I get through it with Him at my side.l I'm determined not to have any more surgery right now, so I've been through 2 months of PT , had 2 epidurals, and am doing ok. Am usinga tens unit, too. Also, still work fulltime. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I am sorry, my dear! Sometimes I find this site doesn't show up the new posts with bold letters and I miss things! My apologies.

I don't think there is much I can add to what you have said. You are a very brave lady to be battling through with a sick hubby, all that damage to you spine and all. And you have found the TENS machine which is what I would have suggested. I swear by mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom