Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

TKR Difficult road

dee1001

Country
United States United States
Hi all,

Had surgery 9 weeks ago. Still take occasional pain meds. Nighttime is the worst. Leg gets achy and restless. It has been pretty difficult and I have struggled with a bit of depression. It hurts my back when I am on my feet any length of time. Please help!

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi @dee1001 :welome: to BoneSmart
Please can you give us the exact date and which knee was operated on so that we can create a signature for you.
Meanwhile I will leave you the BoneSmart guidelines.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
D

dee1001

Country
Sure, left knee. 7/16

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:@dee1001 Glad you found us. Did you check your shoes for an uneven wear pattern or if you had needed an orthotic before surgery have you had the orthotic refitted if it’s still needed at all?

OP
OP
D

dee1001

Country
Hi, I did have an orthotic before surgery. But have not worn consistently afterward. I was going to get a new pair and insert the orthotic this weekend. i hate being on my feet, it's just not comfortable and I get exhausted quickly.

OP
OP
D

dee1001

Country
I can relate to the depression thread. Things that helped me, I rented a scooter so I could travel and planned a trip. It helped my outlook immensely to know I could have a change if scenery. I have been very emotional and stopped watching any sad shows or anything violent. I can't believe hiw emotional and hard this has been.

Muldoh

Country
Hi Dee, I am about two weeks ahead of you and can relate to much of what you said. I have found this recovery much harder than I ever anticipated, and there have been many days when I have been weepy and sad, wishing I had never done it in the first place. And although I still have pain, in the last week or two I find that I am doing much more than I was previously, so that must be a good sign. I’ve also found it helpful to read some of the recovery threads of those on this site that are months/years ahead of me...many of them start off with the feelings we have been having, but end up very positive. That definitely gives me hope for the future!

OP
OP
D

dee1001

Country
Exactly, I need the other knee done also but will I be jumping to do it after this experience? Not sure.

OP
OP
D

dee1001

Country
Does anyone else have problems with leg after bath? Leg and knee feel uncomfortable and antsy after bath or shower. You would think the warm water would calm it down.

Peaches0000

Country
Dee, what you feel is totally normal, it is a super hard to recover from surgery, the only people that really understand are the people on this site.
People expect us to get back to being normal as soon as the surgery is over,
The truth is everyone has been in pain , months or more like years before the surgery even happened, and then you go through this great assault on your body and mind. It does make you depressed and I admit It makes me oddly angry sometimes.

OP
OP
D

dee1001

Country
I agree! I have had a few meltdowns when I was overwhelmed or PT was too long and tough and I was struggling for 3 days after.
I didn't realize how long this journey would be. It does help to speak to others in similar circumstances.
I wish I had found you sooner.

Those of us healing from our tkr's are also dealing with covid shutdowns etc, making our healing process a little more bleak.

Oregon mom

Country
Honestly, I'm considering flat out dumping my PT. It caused so much pain and swelling later. And the laundry list of exercises and endless repetitions... I have been gently stretching and getting up here and there on my own. I'm just not seeing the value at this point.

Abbylayla

Country
@Oregon mom
I feel the same about PT. My last session left me in pain, swelling & really struggling to walk for 4 days. I've taken 3 weeks off which my OS isn't crazy about.
I'll go back next week for 1 session per week only. Will see how it goes.

@dee1001
I am 7 weeks out this Wednesday and I too thought I'd be further along by now. I need both hips replaced but at this point I'm kind of discouraged and in no hurry to jump into another surgery. I'll just be playing it by ear

Mamie

Country
Greetings Dee1001!

Not anyone here feels like much after knee surgery surgery. Mine was at the very same date as yours and I am still struggling. Maybe you are not listening to your body like I didn't. If anyone is expecting you to be superwoman politely or not, tell them to first have this surgery then judge! Please read the fantastic PT that BoneSmart gives us. To heck with PT that hurts us. Be kind to you first. I've been a slow learner of this Merri-go-round of pain and swelling, but here, the support is fabulous and soon you know your are not alone.
Here they tell you to rest, elevate and ice. If it hurts or creates swelling, do not do it again. Positive advise. BoneSmart believes in a positive be kind to yourself approach. IT WORKS! I shared that with my PT and they replied that the old way of thinking no pain, no gain was wrong. If you do not object, I will add you to my prayers. We all need each other in here, and to me, it's like like family, sometimes better.

Take Care of You First!
Mamie

Muldoh

Country
My OS no longer recommends PT for most of his patients, feels that the activities of daily living are enough to get us back to where we need to be. He stresses that the current research does not support PT as being any better for long term recovery, and those that do participate just report more pain and swelling in the process. So don’t let them push you and allow yourself to heal!

OP
OP
D

dee1001

Country
Thanks, Mamie! I would never turn down prayers and will also offer up prsyers for those on this site struggling as most of us are.

I now feel that we have to take charge of PT. I had a 'massage' done on a friday on the back of my knee, but it was a massage that was really painful.

A few days later at PT again, a different therapist started to massage that same spot however it was still bruised from the last time and I nesrly flew off the table it hurt so bad. I made her stop. that pt session was supposed to be 40 min and i was there 1:15 min and she still was going to do more until I said i had to go.

I had 3 of the worst days and nights after thst episode and had a crying jag like no othet.

I now feel like each person must take charge of their pt and i go home after 40 min and tell her when its too much.
And they will never touch the back of my knee again.

Like I hear many of you say, we know our bodies best.

Now, my PT is very good about asking how I'm feeling and we talk about how this can bring on depression and I now feel in charge of how its going to go.

Mamie

Country
Hello Dee,
I am so happy to see you are further ahead of even my own reluctance not to buy into the PT's that are stuck in their power trips of controlling you, but the fact is, without you they won't have a job. So its do it your way or you take the highway, as they say! You are in charge of your own destiny. The massage they did to me was a result much the same as yours. They said it was a deep muscle massage to help push fluids out. I told them a massage was suppose to put you to sleep not make you sick. I am so happy you are taking a stand. Our poor knees for some are bruised for months. I am at the time frame as you and my leg and knee are so bruised they are greenish black in areas.

There is a solution sold here called Active from a sponsor. It was recommended to me and it works at helping the healing and my scar does not look as bad as it was looking once I started using it daily. Their ad is on the side of this page at the top if interested. I am a believer as I have used it and I think it is responsible for aiding the infection process clear up.

Take good care of you and remember to put yourself first above any PT.

Mamie

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
From caregiver
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom