Revision TKR Difficult recover after multiple revisions

I listened to the opposite of loud, angry-sounding music. When my knee was really bad, we could pull up beside a car with a loud radio with lots of bass and it would actually hurt my knee. I liked easy listening Praise music. I also spent a lot of time reading mysteries to try and get my mind off the pain. Having 13 cats to take care of made me ignore the pain the best I could.

I haven't forgotten how awful this pain was with the surgery. I haven't had the number of surgeries you have, but the kneecap removal recoveries were almost as bad as a TKR. My patella tendons had to be cut and shortened on each knee. It even hurt to move my toes.

No one here is trying to disregard or be callous about your pain. We are only are trying to help. That's why we are here, to try and help. We are all volunteers and spend many hours trying to comfort people going through this awful surgery.

@sistersinhim

Maybe I do not put enough info or write it wrong my apologies. Never once thought anyone was being callous mean etc in regards to the pain I feel what I meant was yes I do appreciate support when I am having a bad day its great to read something cheerful but as far as understanding how can you or anyone fully understand what I am going thru unless your in my shoes?? All of us are different what you have experienced could be completely different from what I experienced so saying I understand is not accurate and really I am not trying to be mean. When you wrote how you played soothing music to help with knee I thought it was funny. When I reference that its just to bring a smile. 13 cats will take your mind off of knee pain in my case 18 aquariums do the same. Today have to clean some tanks add water and move some fish only bad part kneeling is not an option so have to come up with better plan. As far as music what I listen to is different then you currently only time I have volume up is watching a movie ( my setup sound wise is very comparable if not better than movie theater.

18 aquariums! Now, that is a huge feat. I had a couple years ago and found them very relaxing, but the cleanup was a pain. You'll need lots of rest after doing yours! Good luck.

@sistersinhim
Had my first tank when I was 4. If I had to put a lot of effort into maintaining would not bother currently really put very little time into my set up. You probably spend more time with the cats then I spend with my fish.
Knee is arguing with me today only cleaned 1 tank 20gallon took maybe 15 minutes realized if I did more it would hurt more so stopped. Its really something how much you forget pain wise, this surgery was more involved then last but I forgot how much pain you deal with now I remember. There is no such thing as a decent nights sleep nothing quite like going to bed waking up after 3-4 hours in pain then taking a pain pill and hope its kicks in soon to get back to sleep. Yup no matter how you describe it the fact is recovery is long and painful thankfully unless there are complications after the first month it does get better.

Yes, thank God it does get better.

@Pumpkln
In case you ask knee hurts but I will say its slightly better pain wise?? Only reason while at the hospital it took a couple of days to get pain under a level of control. I was taking 20mg of Oxycodone, Tylenol, Celibrix, and was sent home with the same the first couple of days yes I was taking the 20mg of Oxy every 4 hours but since yesterday I can get same result with just taking the 10mg every 4 hours. Trust me pain still stinks but now less meds same result I will take that as a plus.
Question for you if you remember I have noticed I am still having issues with instability but I am thinking its probably normal considering its only been a week since surgery? Also noticed still have a good amount of swelling in the leg but once again given time should go down. Not expecting a big relief in pain for quite sometime hopefully by next month may notice more of a difference?

The instability is probably due to muscle inhibition after the surgery. Kinda like when you break a leg, your muscles won't work to keep you from walking.

As you heal, swelling goes down and your muscles start working you should feel more stable.

Hoping the next month shows some improvement in how you are feeling.

@Pumpkln
Thanks for your reply!! You would think considering how many times I have been thru this I would be use to the pain the swelling etc. but I am not. It may even hurt more now then the first time I had a replacement. What gets me the pain is not spiking in one direction or another its very steady meaning it hurts just as bad 7 am as it does 7 pm. That maybe okay which also means I am not doing anything that would cause an increase in pain but it also makes for a long miserable day. Just thinking ( being negative ) last Thursday was surgery and to think I have got many months to go before things get close to normal!! Now positive!! it looks like the incision is longer my guess approx 13 -14" can't really tell with dressing on and if thats the case more staples. Kind of dumb been averaging 12" per replacement scar and approx. 53 staples finally something different!!

Have you talked to anyone about your pain and you pain medication. Your meds are obviously not right. It doesn't matter how many surgeries you have had - proper pain management is critical. Can you call your surgeon's office or PCP and discuss this? Post op pain can be managed.

Have you talked to anyone about your pain and you pain medication. Your meds are obviously not right. It doesn't matter how many surgeries you have had - proper pain management is critical. Can you call your surgeon's office or PCP and discuss this? Post op pain can be managed.
???
Not sure I understand, there is no such thing as being pain free and I am okay with that. While at the hospital I was taking 20mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours along with Tylenol, Celebrix and a Lidocaine infusion prior to this comb it was a steady 8+ on pain scale with this combination it brought it down to a 7 which is reasonable considering fairly involved surgery. Once I was home Sunday afternoon till Tuesday continued with same other then Lidocaine infusion Yesterday instead of taking 20mg of Oxy every 4 hours took 10mg of Oxy every 4 hours difference being less pain meds and while it does hurt its still an improvement and I am okay with it. It would be great if going by the scale I was at a 5 but to me not realistic. Being doped on pain meds is not without problems either. I have been dealing with pain for years and while you may or may not agree ultimately its me that has to deal with it. Yes it hurts yes it drives me nuts etc but its also only been a week and by my history the first week or two are the worst then little by little improvements make themselves known. I consider going from 20mg to 10mg an improvement.

Not trying to argue or disagree and really a 7 is not exactly pain free its still better then an 8. By the numbers may help in evaluating someone's pain they are not entirely accurate either. I think there is a difference within any give number.
I know what a 6 feels like along with a 7 and an 8. While at the hospital they got it down to a 7 it still was not a 6 and decreasing the Oxy helped its still 7 just a lower 7 if I was at a 6 would not need the amount 10mg or frequency every 4 hours

Last edited:
@Celle OR ??

Boy do I hope this is the last time for a replacement anytime soon ( as in 5 plus years ). So far this week pain on average 7 and yes it hurts but reality it was 7th total revision surgery itself was more difficult than others based on what surgeon told me. Not expecting any real downward swings in pain since Thursday was 1 week out but today has not been good for whatever the reason pain is at an 8. So far iced 3x took 2 pain pills ( 10mg Oxy ) now I am going to take 2. Knee feels a little more swollen today based on how the dressing feels tighter today than yesterday.

Is it possible you've been a bit more active? As you know, that can have an effect on pain levels.

Then there are the normal, and random. days when you feel worse than on other days - part of the ups and downs of recovery.

@Celle @Pumpkln
There have been plenty of times over the course of numerous surgeries where I have over done it repeatedly finally decided to try it the Bone Smart way. Granted as Celle put it good and bad days over doing it all can lead to increased pain levels. Started in-home PT and made it perfectly clear I am not going to do anything that is going to increase the amount of pain I am currently dealing with. Stretching, standing up leg raises, toe raises, quad sets, sitting on edge of bed and try to have leg straight out etc. As long as I am not over doing it. The therapist wanted 2 sets of 10 if its causing too much I will stop really not concerned whether or not I complete what asked to do. I discussed ROM considering ROM has never been an issue and already after surgery 112 not even remotely worried of getting back to 130's prior to surgery.
After writing all of that I am not going to be overly active quite the opposite, its pretty much meds in the morning take care of feeding my fish adding water if needed ( spend maybe 60minutes at most but not much walking ) during the day ice, elevate, pain med or meds ( depending on pain level ) sit on my sofa leg stretched out. ( and thinking why me?? this whole thing really stinks. Its just so bizarre 20 surgeries been replaced 7 times what!! ) and get on internet and complain to you guys how I feel.

I don't have an answer for you, but if it was me, I would be stopping the exercises. You don't need them for ROM and your leg strength will return gradually as you heal.
Just going about your activities of daily living (ADLs) is enough exercise for your leg at this early stage of recovery.

If you need any formal strengthening exercises, they're best left until about 3 months post-op. Heal first, strengthen later.

Recovery stinks, it just does. Even cleaning one fish tank I think is far too much activity for your knee. You know the drill - elevation and ice, medication on a schedule. That's the same for all of us.

Your correct, we don't know your pain. Nor do you know ours (mine). I'm 15 months post revision #3 and still have bruising and swelling. I still ice/elevate, it is what it is. Sorry your suffering.

@eaglemom
After the 2nd revision the odds of a quick recovery diminish. 15 months still have bruising and swelling totally get it. I reach a point after 2yrs and the pain is still on the bad getting worse where I have to see help. Never really had a problem with bruising immediately following surgery but it does go away but swelling it never goes away. Hopefully you will never get to where I am at not fun!!
As far as cleaning tanks while tropical fish are different than dogs and cats all pets require care. If you have dogs they still need to be fed need to be let outside go for walks etc. Cats maybe easier however once again need to be fed litter box cleaned bottom line upkeep is required. Tropical fish are no different, water needs to be tested water changed need to be fed just can say well they are in water they will be fine it works for awhile but its only short term. I probably would be better off with 2-3 large tanks 90 gallons or bigger but I have 18 tanks from 75 down to 10 everything in between. Work or not taking care of my tanks is a form of relaxation for me.

I don't have an answer for you, but if it was me, I would be stopping the exercises. You don't need them for ROM and your leg strength will return gradually as you heal.
Just going about your activities of daily living (ADLs) is enough exercise for your leg at this early stage of recovery.

If you need any formal strengthening exercises, they're best left until about 3 months post-op. Heal first, strengthen later.

At this stage of recovery really could care less of trying to improve strength like I wrote stretching is fine but there is no way I am going to do anything that causes more pain. Like you wrote and suggested numerous times just doing daily activities is enough strengthening for right now.

@Celle or ??

Really hope I was correct in what I have been writing?? Based on my history it seems that the first 1 -2 weeks is the worst pain wise but this time the timeline seems off. I know my surgeon told me surgery took longer then expected but not as bad as it could have been, the femoral component was not as solid as once thought and from what he saw it needed to replaced. Surgery time approx 3 hours, still have the waterproof dressing on but it looks and feels like I have a longer incision ( I can feel where the staples start and stop ). Probably wrong but I am thinking one of the reasons for how it feels is a direct result from the surgery itself?? Granted any TKR is going to hurt that is a given but if there are some complications / difficulty thrown into the mix that can also add to pain following surgery.
Probably just being overly paranoid still concerned after having been thru 1 infection certainly do not want anything to go wrong with this recovery. Also found out ( about time!! ) it really helps to take pain meds as prescribed my only exception is the amount if pain is not but so bad I will take one 10mg of OXY if like it is right now I take 2 other then that its every 4 hours with extra strength Tylenol 1300mg 3x day. If I do not take the meds every 4 hours the pain is not under control and it takes longer to get better.
If you have not guessed its not a lot of fun and anyone who does not require pain meds and able to go for short walks at this stage is a far better person then me. As of now a long walk is to my mail box and back 100ft total. YUCK!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back