BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Did you stay alone all night in the hospital?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Rockgirl4, May 10, 2019.

1. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 senior

United States United States
    My TKR is May 21, and I'm anxious about spending the night alone in the hospital. My concerns are mostly due to pain control. The PA at my surgeon's office made a comment that I should make sure I ALWAYS ask for pain medication when I need/want it, as the nurses will NOT offer it on their own.:holysheep: So even if I am allowed it, it's all up to me to keep track of time. :scratch:My worry is if I'm all alone and half out of it with pain/grogginess, there will be no one to advocate for me. What does that leave me but setting alarms on my cell phone to wake me up so I don't get behind the pain---and hoping I'm coherent enough to be my own advocate. Any thoughts/experiences/advice would be appreciated. I had a horrid pain control experience after a big knee surgery in 2015 and am super anxious about this.

As for why I'll be alone, my husband thinks it's not necessary for him to stay, and he'll rest better (and be better off for my at home post-op) if he gets a good night's sleep. Due to the location of the hospital, he's likely staying with friends that live 20 minutes from the hospital. Like I said,I think he COULD stay the night, but he doesn't necessarily see a need. I think he expects these nurses to have my pain meds scheduled around the clock, and I just don't get the impression things are done that way anymore due to the opioid epidemic.

2. winemama

winemama senior

Take A deep breath, you’ll be fine, they will take you up to your room until you’re out of recovery, but please tell the charge nurse and recovery and pre-op nurses of your fear, your fear is very real, just let everybody know. Your nerve block will be on for a while so you’re not gonna be in that much pain and nurses are very very good about getting your pain meds to you and if you’re not feeling right are used to do was ask take a deep breath your husband might as well go home and get a good nights sleep

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Rockgirl4 I agree with winemama - your husband does not need to stay with you and you will probably rest much better if you don't have that distraction. That PA is just feeding you their take on the situation. They have obviously not been through this journey. Discuss your pain management plan with your surgeon and the anaesthetist prior to your procedure. Then ask when you are scheduled to take medication. Many people find setting an alarm on their cell phone helps.
    You will not be too "out of it" to ask for meds. And very soon following your procedure you will be up and moving around with the help of PT.

Have a read in our knee recovery area and ask questions there. We are here for you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I have never seen the necessity to have an 'advocate' stand by all day and night after surgery. In the UK, visitors are required to leave the ward after visiting hours which are usually 2-4pm and 7-8pm. Certainly not permitted to stay all night. Come to that, for my last four surgeries (see my signature) I didn't even have any visitors during my stay! One manages.

5. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 senior

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Unfortunately, I don't get a nerve block, but I have heard good stories about this hospital. I wonder if the PA was just trying to tell me to be sure and speak up if I need to. :) I figured not every hospital lets people stay all night, so assumed many here had survived all on their own.:thumb:

6. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

@Rockgirl4
    I had a spinal block for the op and a light anesthetiser as I didn't want to see what was going on. Once they woke me in recovery I was completely with it.
    I recognise that things might be different in the US but for me the nurses came in with my pain meds and also checked that it as keeping my pain under control. I was perfectly able to say if things were ok or if I needed more.
    I think it would be better for both of you if your husband gets a proper nights sleep elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Irish471

Irish471 senior

@Rockgirl4 , my husband did not spend the night. The nurses will take good care of you! They should be giving you the pain meds on schedule. Every day, they will post their names and a goal on the whiteboard in the room. They strive to keep your pain at no more than a 2-3. I would say it is their top priority to see that you are comfortable and not in pain.

8. Dan_in_AK

Dan_in_AK new member

I stayed the night by myself Wednesday, May 8. I found the nurses very on top of my pain management. If I told them I wasn't feeling particularly good, they'd be sure to bring the prescribed amount as early as it was allowed, and made a point that, if needed, they could get either more or different meds.
    Frankly, I got the least distractions by my wife staying with friends. Also, the night nurses have less patients asking to pee or walk, etc, so they seemed to have more time for me.
    They checked up on me and only woke me if I needed meds to stay ahead of the pain. They were great.
    This was in Alaska, USA.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I'm sure this is what that PA meant. No one is going to keep medication from you. If there is an emergency then yes, thing might be delayed. But the good thing about orthopaedic wards is that emergencies are rare. And don't forget that you will be up and walking very soon post op. Worst case you can go to the ward manager and ask for medication.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

When I was in the hospital they had a white board in the room and would write down what time I could have my next dose of pain meds. I could look at that and know when it was ok to signal the nurse that I was ready for my next dose. I learned not to "tough it out" with my first knee and wait until the pain got bad. In fact the nurse told me not to do that when I had the 2nd knee. I would signal pretty much on schedule and the pain never got out of control with the second knee.

11. Rick951

Rick951 junior member

@Rockgirl4 I wonder why no nerve block, if I read you post correctly? Between the epidural and whatever they injected into my knee during surgery, I was pain free most of the time. I was in over night, the Nurses took care of getting me pain meds on time. I am only 8 months out, (October 3 2018). I would be surprised if things have changed that much.
    Best of luck on your surgery, I glad I had mine done, SO much better now!!

12. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 senior

@Rick951 I was told the following would be used:
    1) Anesthesia---General (my surgeon and his partner don't do spinals unless absolutely necessary)
    2) Pain control: 1 or 2 Oxycodone every 4 hrs as needed for pain, Ropivicaine (local anesthestic) injected into the joint upon finishing the procedure, Toradol (awesome anti-inflammatory) injected into the joint upon finishing the procedure.
    3) I will have already takes 2 Celebrex the morning of surgery, plus I will take 2 daily (instead of my usual 1) for the first 4 days following surgery.

I asked if I would have a nerve block and was told no, as it makes it harder to get people up and moving right away. Something about the quad not waking up fast enough (?).

I have heard the Ropivicaine/Toradol combination is wonderful though, and that's what makes it possible to get up and walk right away. I guess I'll see in 7days.

I don't mind NOT having a spinal or nerve block---I've had a nerve block 3X in the past for other knee surgeries. I think I'd prefer the pain be there from the time I wake up, so I can get it under control in the hospital before being discharged.:flabber: I had ACI surgery (Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation) back in 2015 and was sent home following the 4 hr outpatient procedure. The nerve block was great until it wore off the next day around 11:30 AM. The pain went form literally 0 to 10 within 30 minutes, and I wasn't told to expect this AT ALL. It was the first time I'd had a nerve block.

There aren't enough emojis to describe those 4 days of hell. The Drs office wouldn't give me anything stronger, and I just wanted to die!! :shrug: They told my husband to knock me out with Valium every 4 hrs for a few days until the pain lessened. This is a HUGE reason why I've been so nervous about pain control with the TKR.