Did the Injections work for you? (rooster comb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartChoice

Country
United States United States
I didn't know where to post this, I hope this line of questioning is ok for this forum. Two Orthos have mentioned using the "rooster comb" type injections, and I am wondering what results some of you got using those. I've heard they take up to 6 weeks to provide any relief, what experience have you had with them?

Yes, I had a couple of rounds of Synvisc One. As I recall it did take a few weeks to notice the difference. it helped for a while--I maybe bought a year or so for the knee.

This has been a topic of conversation a number of times here on BoneSmart. I think you will find a variety of opinions on the injections. They bought some time for some people; did nothing for others. It just depends on how your body reacts.

But....there are a few things you need to consider before making the decision to have them. They are expensive and insurance sometimes does not cover much of the cost....please check this out BEFORE you commit. Also, know that even in the best situation, any relief you get will be temporary. The injections cannot cure arthritis or create cartilage where there is none. You may be able to delay having a knee replacement for a while, though and some folks want to do that.

For me....the shots didn't work. I took them to try and help me get through the Christmas holidays before I had my TKR in February. Not much relief really.

I had it done A year ago October before a trip I knew would involve a lot of walking. It seemed to help some at the time, but two months later my knees felt worse than before. I had it done again this last December, and it made no difference at all. I don't see it anymore in my future ecause of this.

My last round was worthless. Unfortunately, my primary Dr. didn't get the "stuff" where it should be inside the knee & I haven't been in that much pain for a very, very long time. YIKES! Burning, acid terrible pain. Hint: Make sure that whoever injects you has done it lots. Missing the mark is awful! :hissyfit:

Ouch, Lori!!! I hope you got a refund on THAT office visit and a huge apology.

SmartChoice...glad you are asking questions like this. Part of this forum is about learning from other people's experiences.

The rooster comb injections as you referred to them are hyaluranidase injections. There are several different brands on the market.

I did a 5 week series of injections with Supartz which lasted about three months, and then a second with Synvisc(spelled that wrong) which is 3 week series of injections which lasted about two minutes (slight exaggeration)..very short lived. For me the steroid injections were more helpful.

Everyone responds so differently. I so agree with Jaimie...it is a temporary measure.

Good luck as you make your decision about these shots.

Steroid injections are better for me too.....Now what's really cool, is if I have a "flare up" (with multiple joints) and get prescribed prednisone, makes me almost feel like a teen again.

I had the Synvisc injections. By the time I got home, I felt great! No kidding---but, also no kidding, I felt great for only three days. I had the Synvisc shots on a Wednesday and, by Saturday, it was back to the same-old, same-old.

Ironically, even though they didn't work, I had to go through the rest of the protocol.

It convinced me that I was at the end of the trail and TKR was my only option.

It delayed my surgery about a year. In some spence it was a wasted year because I would have been so much better off if I had done the TKR a year earlier.

I tried 3 different types- the hydralorisone (sp?) I had an allergic reaction to ---don't even ask ! And the other 2 worked -for about 2 days each. Luckily all were covered by our health insurance but for me they were of no use...

the substance being referred to is hyaluronic acid. It has been used for some time in horse's joints with some success. It is a naturally occurring substance found in synovial fluid. My husband is an equine veterinarian so I was aware of its uses when I first developed knee issues. I got injections as soon as it was approved for human use. I think it helped for a while but because of the price and insurance restrictions ( allowed every 9 months and involved 3 injections a week apart), it only delayed the ineviteble. when I switched orthopedists several years ago, anticipating the need for TKR, he started doing steroid injections every 3 months. again, it bought me some time. This year after a ski vacation. I realized the time had come to replace. I'm now 6 days post surgery and doing well. My major problem has been a UTI caused by being cathaterized. I'm very tired from round the clock trips to the bathroom but hopefully, that is calming down. :hairpulling:

It convinced me that I was at the end of the trail and TKR was my only option.

It delayed my surgery about a year. In some spence it was a wasted year because I would have been so much better off if I had done the TKR a year earlier.

Sounds like my story...my knees have been getting bad now for the last few years after Micro Fracture surgery. I had the 3rd and last shot last week and they haven't helped. I would like TKR's but between finding a Surgeon I can like and getting finanically prepared it will be a while..Maybe in a year. Mean while....

I had the supartz shots for 3 weeks beginning in May 2011. I was violently ill after the 1st shot but pressed on with the other 2 in the hopes they would work as advertised. No reaction after the other shots, but no pain relief whatsoever either. That said, a co-worker of mine had the shots in the fall and has had great results. Like they say, 50% chance of them working.

Sounds like my story...my knees have been getting bad now for the last few years after Micro Fracture surgery. I had the 3rd and last shot last week and they haven't helped. I would like TKR's but between finding a Surgeon I can like and getting finanically prepared it will be a while..Maybe in a year. Mean while....

Welcome, truckinguy! I'm glad you joined us here on BoneSmart. You might want to start your own thread here in the pre-op forum to tell us a bit more about yourself and your story. It's also easier for folks to respond directly to you that way.

No relief for me. My Dr. said I'd feel immediate relief. Changed Doctors.

At least my doc was honest and said it worked well "for some people." And he knows what he's doing with doing injections.

My experience was just about the same as everyone else. Tried Supartz & Synvisc with a round of cortisone along the way. All of them helped a little bit and probably bought me a year and half before getting the TKR.
The cortisone was the only one that really worked well and that only lasted for 3 weeks. The others just made the pain a bit more bearable. If your knee is really eaten up with arthritis, nothing short of TKR will do much good.

I had three rounds of OrthoVisc over a two-year period. Each injection was very helpful and let me put off TKR for a couple of years. Yes, they are expensive but my heath insurance paid in full.

Tried it, no relief, 7 weeks of pain, then nothing. Had BTKR 2/20/12 and 2/27/12. I have a friend who used Synvisc and got 3 years of relief, everyone is different. I would definitely try it prior to TKR. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member