BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL TKR] Dickybird’s rehab in Sydney Australia

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Dickybird, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My take on this is very simple; healing trumps training, every time. If you train damaged or partially healed knees, you will compound the damage. If you wait and just do mobility stretching, sure you won't get any stronger. But eventually you will be able to train as much as you like -- well maybe not powerlifting :shocked: but walking, swimming, cycling no bother.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Heal first; strengthen later.
    It's wise to not start any strengthening exercises until about 3 months after this surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dickybird

Dickybird new member

Australia Australia
    Eleven weeks post op. Both knees still discomfort free while elevated on my wedge pillow so still no painkillers of any sort needed. But 30 seconds after getting on my feet my knees swell up, redden and stiffen. Not enough to stop daily activities, but two hours on my feet is as much as the knees will allow. Its OK watching television (the Australian Open Tennis has been on) if I keep my knees elevated. BUT there has been a breakthrough! They will allow me to sleep on my side at last! :wowspring: I put a pillow between my knees so no knee or ankle contact and keep the legs elevated on my wedge pillow. A sign that healing has progressed. We are setting off on a cruise from Singapore to Brisbane in 5 weeks so I sincerely hope stiffness will be much less by then. Thanks to all who have provided me encouragement. May this report encourage others.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Yay! That is a big step forward!

5. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus member

Australia Australia
    Hey mate,

Following with interest, especially the side sleeping. Trust the cruise went well.

6. Dickybird

Dickybird new member

Australia Australia
    Its now nearly 8 months post op so I can report on progress. I can now sleep on either side and only rarely need to sleep on my back. I use a pillow to keep my knee slightly elevated. Stiffness on getting up is much less and first thing each morning my knees feel very good. But as the day goes on with my usual activity they can feel less and less comfortable and I need to rest and preferably elevate them. Despite that I can now walk up to 2 kilometres a day. I am encouraged by the example of a friend who had both knees TKRd by the same surgeon 2 years ago and who now plays tennis. I like to hope the time will come when my knees do not bring attention to themselves and I can just take them for granted as in the distant days of my youth. Tell me it can happen!

7. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus member

Australia Australia
    Love it.

Those days are such a distant memory for me :)

I had been using a pillow between my legs long before my knees... It helped to relieve my back which I have had 2 surgeries....

Hope you had fun in the cruise

8. Benay

Benay member

United States United States
    I use the pillow too, have been able to sleep on my side since the first week. I hope the cruise was fun, I read your recovery thread with interest. Gave me reassurance.