THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Hi Klassy, thanks for that. And yes I am doing ok at the moment, unfortunately my head is about 12 months of the rest of the body.
I have purchased a few squash rackets, checked out a local club, but have not signed up yet. My wife also plays, but she is trying to persuade me too hang back for a little while longer. :no-fin:
I think that is wise. Wait till they take the ODIC sign down from over the door
Many on the forums say it could be that tendon, or that specific nerve, I can never pinpoint it that precisely, just aches, pains and stiffness that randomly come and go.
Yes exactly that. The soreness on the left side moved all over the upper leg/ lower back. It seemed determined for a while to imitate the feeling of a very new hip. Even the almost invisible scar got a bit sore. But I think that may have been my fault for over enthusiastic application of ice. My latest trouble, on the new hip side, started when I stepped backwards and unexpectedly downwards, and felt a sharp pull on the inner/front top of thigh. The pain stayed in that region for a day or so, but now it is centre top of thigh. I see my physiotherapist tomorrow and will be interested to see if he can put a label on it. But I guess everything is connected, and tightness or inflammation in one part will presumably affect other bits.

Week 16 plus one day anniversary ( that is an official anniversary, right? Not Platinum obviously. Maybe Polyester.)

The week started well with both legs functioning well and pain-free. Then I had a little step back, literally, with the operated right leg, which made it painful to walk. Since then I’ve been babying it with lots of rest and ice and use of crutches. It improves, and then I make the smallest misstep and it is back to square one.

For example, I got out of bed yesterday morning, took the first few cautious steps to see how it felt, it felt just about pain-free, yippee! But wisely I did not do a victory dance. All I did was walk a couple of paces, turned left at the end of the bed, and caught my left shin on the bed frame. Minor, temporary ouch from the left shin, sharp stab in the right thigh which then ached all day. I wasn’t even aware of using the right leg, but clearly the reflex reaction to hurt on the left put sudden load on the right. It’s like the old saying, presumably coined by someone digitally damaged, about “sticking out like a sore thumb”. My right leg is sticking out like a sore limb and just looking for trouble.

However, looking at the positive, the left leg is feeling really good. It would be so much worse to have both hips complaining.

Hi @Klassy,
I know what you mean about one step forward and three steps back! I’ve been really really trying to rest and not over do and today when I woke up and tested my hip and saw I had no pain I was so happy! So I took a shower, made the bed and went up and down the stairs several times and by the afternoon I was achy and my thighs were burning.
I’m seeing a new OS tomorrow to get a second opinion about the ongoing hip and groin pain and he’s supposed to be very good so we shall see. I will report back tomorrow!
Stay well!

Four month anniversary, and I celebrated with a visit to the Malvern garden festival.

I have been longing to attend this annual show since we moved to this area, but last year was cancelled due to covid and this year I wasn’t sure that I was going to be fit enough. With this target in sight, I have spent this last week being sooo careful: using a crutch almost all the time (tiresomely inconvenient) and moving slowly and looking where I put my feet to avoid any of these little jolts which were upsetting Righty. I had my regular physiotherapist appointment last Friday. He diagnosed my trouble as “tight muscles”. He did some gentle massage, which definitely helped, and told me to do that myself. I have, though not sure that I have the same magic touch.

I saw gradual improvement over the week. This morning I still wasn’t totally pain free on walking, but I was good enough to go. I had the most brilliant day! The show surpassed all my expectations. So many gorgeous plants and wonderful garden accessories, such inspiration! Even the weather cooperated.

I spent the whole day there, from 9 am to almost 6 pm. A lot of walking (I took my crutch, and needed it) but plenty of sit down breaks. My husband kindly came along to carry my purchases, and stop me going too mad and buying too much. Such temptations! But I think I stayed just about within reason.

I was quite prepared for some hip pain as a result of all the exertion, but at the moment I am feeling surprisingly well. Fingers crossed that I feel as good tomorrow.

Sounds like such a great day! Love flowers and plants and I can just imagine how much fun it was to walk around and admire everything on a beautiful day too! Aren't husbands great for keeping us in check for spending too much? I literally didn't buy one thing in Portugal this time-Although I had been there in October so to be fair I didn't really see anything that I desperately wanted.

Love a good massage from a good PT. I miss my weekly massages but I will be going starting on the 23rd to a new place so hopefully more massages are in store lol.

Glad your hip wasn't too mad at you at the end of the day. I'm sure it was because you gave her frequent breaks. I think that's the key...if you feel like you are over tiring her you probably are. I learned that lesson the hard way:) Anyway so glad to hear you had a great day!

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Klassy!
Sounds like you had a lovely time, a day we’ll spent. I hope you feel good on Friday after all the walking at the garden festival.:fingersx:
Wishing you a nice weekend!
@Klassy

Happy days Klassy.

Excellent update.

Three Counties showground, nice place.
Malvern beautiful historic little town. Glad you had great time there and everything going good.

Week 18. Boy, the weeks are going by quickly now. A sign of normal life returning!

I had no ill effects from my mega day out at the start of the week. Even more remarkably, I have managed to get all my purchases planted out without putting myself in the ODIC. Righty is still a bit sensitive whenever the left foot takes a misstep, but is very much improved.

I have lots to be grateful for.

Happy 4 months anniversary! Great to hear you are feeling so well. Today is my 3 month so I am a month behind you but hoping to be feeling as well as you are at 4 months! Still not putting the ice packs away yet though hah! You never know when you need them. I went out to lunch today with a friend and sat outside for two hours and got home and iced. Just makes everything feel better. Just keep on getting better as the days go by @Klassy and stay away from the ODIC!

Yesterday I achieved a major milestone: got up the tower ( and, the hardest bit, down again!) to ring the bells for Sunday morning church service.

This has taken me almost 4 and a half months, compared to exactly 3 months for Hip 1. There are external reasons for this, caused by our moving home between hips. Where we lived previously, we had a practice bell simulator in our house, so I could try that out and check that I was ready. And we were key keepers for our local tower, so my husband and I could let ourselves in for me to have a private test run of the staircase, and I rang a silenced bell by myself, before I ventured to join others for normal ringing. Plus the spiral stone staircase at our new tower is particularly difficult, with very steep misshaped steps. I pictured myself stuck at the top, unable to get down! On top of this, I have done very little ringing since March 2020. The Church of England locked down much more rigorously than the Government of England did, and although you don’t have to be a Christian to ring, almost all the bells are located in church towers, so the Church sets the rules. Even when the Government was subsidising restaurant meals in an attempt to get a second wave of Covid going (I don’t think that was the official aim, but it worked anyway), the bells were off limits. And when we first started back, we were restricted to short periods with a maximum of 6 people at any session.

So there were many reasons why I was nervous about returning. However, all went well. I only rang simple stuff, and only for about 10 minutes in total. Previously I would often ring non-stop for 45 minutes, but after the long layoff, even 10 minutes was enough to feel it slightly in my soft-skinned hands and flabby arms. But not in the hip, which is what counts! I took a crutch to help with the trickiest sections of the staircase, and managed fine.

Ringing tower bells used be my major hobby, so it is good to be able to resume. I don’t know if it will ever become my focus, and source of great enjoyment, that it used to be. But I will be going along for practice on Wednesday and I will see where it goes from there.

Last edited:
One item of note from my ringing expedition: The band members were all pleased to welcome me back, which was lovely of course. The oldest there, who is in her 80s, is one of those tough old farming types who can be, well, forthright in their reaction to the frailties of lesser mortals. For example, once I asked to ring one of the lighter bells because my back was hurting (actually my arthritic hip) and she exclaimed “Oh, that’s no excuse!”.

So when she said “What was it you had done? A hip replacement? My daughter had one of those” I was expecting the rest of the sentence to be something like “And she was back ploughing the next week.”

But, no. She went on “and it came out of its socket! She was just painting her toenails and it popped out! She was upstairs in the bedroom, and their house has a very narrow staircase with a bend in it, so the ambulance people couldn’t get a stretcher down, they had to call another crew to help and she was there for 8 hours in agony!”

So my fellow hippies, take note of this lesson. If you live in a house with an awkward staircase, always paint your toenails downstairs in the living room.

Oh Klassy, you make me smile. I love your sense of humor.

How wonderful you’re easing back into bell ringing, even if it’s no longer a hobby and less of a source of enjoyment, it’s still a great accomplishment.
Thanks for continuing to share your recovery here and offering the support you do to others. I hope you have a lovely week!
@Klassy

Hi @Klassy I keep envisioning you going up these steep stairs from the middle ages and ringing bells and I just love it! I also keep meaning to ask you about your profile picture. Is that a havanese? Do you still have a doggie? Also did you feel stiff or sore after your expedition up the tower?

Thanks for asking @Snoopy55 . Yes going up those ancient steps and taking part in such a historic tradition is a privilege, as well as a challenge. No after effects from the ringing venture, I’m pleased to say.

The avatar is a picture I found, which represents my dream doggy. I think it is a cockapoo, which is what I am planning to get. I have never owned a dog, but now I am retired I feel a dog-shaped space in my life. My husband has had dogs and is keen. I want to be sure that my hip is fully recovered before starting the finding and buying process. I would like to get a puppy, but I don’t want to be anxious about my hip around an active pup. We also have ongoing renovations at our home, and I am waiting for all the tradesmen to have gone forever (oh, I wish! Lovely guys, but the incessant radio!) and our fences made secure.

All this is taking a lot longer than anticipated, and the puppy dream may have to yield to a mature dog. But she is on her way, in some form.

@Klassy I totally understand about a puppy! I mean don't get me wrong-a puppy is such a joy and they are sooo cute but they grow up and then need tons of walks and attention and the teething is hard too. Maybe a dog that is a year or two old and already potty trained? You can go to your local shelter and adopt one-ours is a rescue as well. He is a mix of yellow lab and beagle but looks just like a lab. I got him as a puppy though. Anyway all of this can wait until your renovations are done (I get the radio thing too ugh) and your hip is all better and you are ready to go on long hikes in the English countryside with your new doggie!

@Klassy.. I felt guilty laughing at that poor person stuck upstairs with a dislocated hip.. my first thought was why was she painting her nails? But maybe it was way past her recovery time?

You tower bells makes me think of Quasimodo but seriously, congratulations for that post op accomplishment. :yes!:

Hi Klassey

So it was you making all that noise over the border, you woke me up in Wales on Sunday morning. Lol.

Only joking, fantastic news and well pleased for you.

Get ready for them weddings in the summer.
Plenty of bell ringing then. And don't hold on to the rope to tight.

Great update.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016