THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Well done @Klassy ! I've always had my staples/stitches removed at my GP surgery. Glad you don't have to travel for this!

Day 10 and all is well.

I have been looking back to the early days of Hip 1 and the progression is remarkably similar. I think the operated thigh was much more swollen this time but the swelling has gone down a lot in the last day or so.

Recovery is definitely easier with the benefit of experience: I don’t worry about the things that bothered me unnecessarily last time, and I have kept one step ahead of the dizziness and constipation.

I even tolerate sleeping on my back better. I still can’t sleep well, but I am resigned to this being the case for a while, and I know how much I will enjoy it when I can finally sleep on my side. With the constipation under control I feel ok about taking codeine, and have a regimen of taking one codeine and one paracetamol every 4 hours, or longer if I happen to be asleep (I haven’t had many long stretches of sleep yet, usually because my bladder wakes me up, but that’s ok). That is mostly keeping the pain at bay. If I begin to feel sore then a fresh cold pack and shift of position usually solves it, and if not, I can pop an extra pill without breaching my prescribed limit.

If anyone browsing the forum is reading this, I hope things are going well for you too.

Hi @Klassy :wave:
I also remember the "can't go" issues and worries about the sleep situation.
Glad that the benefit of experience has you less stressed and more prepared this go-round.
I hope today is a Good Day.:flwrysmile:

Recovery is definitely easier with the benefit of experience: I don’t worry about the things that bothered me unnecessarily last time

The second time around has to make for a more relaxed and peaceful recovery. it’s always nice to read this. There are so many uncertainties the first time. You’re doing well, Klassy. May it only get better!

Day 11, and I ventured out of the house for the first time for a cautious stroll around the garden. So good to breathe in fresh air and see the first snowdrops blooming.

At times, particularly round midday, I feel tip-top, up for anything, and I have to remind myself to take it gently. Then my energy levels plummet and I feel so weak I can’t even pull my jumper over my head without help from my husband.

Ah well, slow and steady does it.

Thanks @Jaycey, that’s a helpful article. The graphics are a reminder just how long recovery takes. Of course I should know that from last time, but when I am feeling good, as I do at times, it’s easy to think that I am nearly recovered, and to start expecting too much.

I did a bit of googling about post-op fatigue and found one study which concluded that the biggest predictor of post-op fatigue levels was the level of pre-op fatigue. That chimes with me, because I was really rundown this time and not nearly as well prepared for the op as I was for the first hip. Apart from the OA getting really bad in the last few weeks, there are other things complicating my life at the moment. And on top of that, about 4 months pre-op I stubbed my right little toe so badly that I think it may have been broken. I went for weeks unable to walk at all. (Thank heavens, if I had to stub my toe, it wasn’t immediately before the op, or getting the compression stockings on would have been agony.)

Anyway, the point is, I shall be patient, and remember that I am not Andy Murray!

@Klassy
I just had my second hip done 3 weeks ago ….and like you, had some similar things happen and some not so similar.
My leg down to my knee was swollen both times. Both surgeries had dissolving stitches - though with this recent one, the incision is more “puckered”, a little inflamed and more uncomfortable. But no heat, oozing or redness - it just needs time. I’ve already sent a picture to my dr and he’s not concerned. I felt rather silly taking a picture of my butt cheek!

I did have staples though for my left knee replacement in 2019. I was sooo anxious about having them removed. And really, it was so much easier and quicker than I expected- though I confess, I did take a small dose of Xanax before the nurse did it.

I haven’t decided if having the first hip done makes the second any “easier”. On one hand, I had a much better feel for the “process” and what to expect. But on the other hand, I think it made just a little too cavalier about #2. I thought I would sail right through it like the first. But noooo, not the case. This one has been more difficult and painful. I’ve used the oxycodone more this time (I threw it out in day 4 last time) which has its own consequences. But being on it longer really messed with my stomach, constipation etc. I was guided by the nurses to approach it in 3 levels if needed. 1) sennekot & softener each night, 2) if needed, step up to Miralax (usually works and not crampy. And finally 3) if still need help gets the big gun out, milk of magnesia. Cherry flavor only. Regular white stuff is disgusting. But it works…..guaranteed. And I only take 1/2 doses when needed.
of course tons of water and fiber too. I discovered FiberOne cereal and have a small portion each day. More than that I’d probably explode!

I share the sleep issues too. Soooo uncomfortable sleeping only on my back that I’m no sleeping in a comfy recliner for 1/2 the night and then sometimes moving back into bed. I’ve stopped worrying about not sleeping. I’m resting, reading (well, audiobooks/podcasts….reading is hard to concentrate on right now) and binging on some good British detective shows (Luther, Line of Duty, Bodyguard and my fave Peaky Blunders). I’ve also laughed my head off at Catastrophe and Fleabag. If you have any to recommend please let me know!
here’s hoping each day gets a bit better for all of us!

Hi @Magsmom ! How great to hear from a fellow double dipper. And you had a TKR too, ouch! I hope that’s it for you and surgery now.

Thanks for the reassurance about the staple removal. I don’t have access to Xanax but will preload with some Codeine and positive mental attitude.

I saw Fleabag and enjoyed it greatly, and I will now check out Catastrophe. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m sorry I can’t reciprocate with any recommendations. I have mostly been watching sitcoms - Friends, Frasier, the UK political news.

Is your avatar picture Mags?

Oh dear oh dear oh dear… Never mind, all over now.

Two week anniversary, I went to local GP practice for removal of the 25 staples. My incision curves from the side to back of thigh/butt. Nurse suggested it would be best done while I stood. I could see that access would be difficult to impossible if I lay on my back, and I wasn’t sure that I was supposed to lie on my side, so I didn’t argue. I told her I I had a history of low BP and fainting, so I wanted a chair close by so I could sit down if I felt dizzy. OK. She said “Some people feel a little sting”. OK. She set to work on the first staple. Yow, yow, yow. Very painful. She said, that one is in very deep, I’ll do some of the easier ones and come back to it. More very painful tugging and after an age of agony she said triumphantly “One”. One! Out of 25! I gritted my teeth. 4 more, some of them not too bad. I began to feel hot and nauseous. Having a mask on didn’t help. Then I began to get dark shapes round my vision that I recognised from the blackout episode after my first THR. I said, “I’m going to faint, I need to sit down right now”. I managed to sit down, got my head as low as possible, the nurse lifted my feet and I clung on. Next thing I know there are about 5 anxious faces around me and they are about to pick me up by legs and arms and swing me onto a trolley. “No No No” I said “My hip, don’t pull my leg”. I was so scared that they might dislocate the joint.

To my great relief they backed off. It got better after that, they let me regain my senses in the chair and then stand myself with crutches and shuffle to lie down on the bed, where the nurse got the rest of the staples out without too much pain. The nurse said I was looking a lot better and had my colour back. I asked, had I been very pale? She said, no, grey. She said it had been quite alarming, as she couldn’t find a pulse, so she had called the crash team, but then I snorted and came out of it. They allowed my husband to come in from the car park and sit with me until I felt well enough to get up, then sat me up gradually, helped me to a wheelchair and I got home ok and soon felt better.

The nurse said the staples had been unusually tight but the wound was very good and the tight closure should produce a much less visible scar. Well, speaking as someone whose thunder thighs have not been seen in public for decades, the beauty of my scar didn’t feature anywhere on my list of priorities. I had dissolving stitches last time and that scar is absolutely fine.

But anyway, it’s behind me now and, apart from a bit of soreness at the incision, I feel fine.

Oh my word! I’m so sorry you had such a rough time of it, Klassy.
Reading your post was rather spellbinding. Thankfully this episode is behind you now and you’re resting in the comfort of your home. I must say that I am thankful I didn’t have staples. I feel it would have made me sick to look at them embedded in my flesh. The mere sight of them remind me of Frankenstein and they look very uncomfortable to me.
I hope you have a relaxing evening and peaceful sleep tonight after all you’ve been through today.
@Klassy

@Klassy oh my, what an ordeal. So happy they're all out and you're safely snuggled in at home. I had staples, don't remember how many but it wasn't the most pleasant experience getting them removed. So sorry you had such a scary time. Glad the nurse reacted quickly and had the crash team at the ready.

Omg - sooo sorry to hear you had such a difficult and scary time. But…..it’s done and now in the rear view mirror. Check one item off the list of things to be anxious about…….hope you are feeling better!

You are kind, thanks so much for your sympathy. I’m feeling good now, and I had my best night so far.

Oh my stars:flabber:
So glad all is okay.
Thankfully and :fingersx: there won't be a "next" time...

Please make sure you get plenty of iron and blood building nutrition in your diet.
I was feeling rather anemic for the first 3 weeks.

Hope the rest of your week is uneventful.:flwrysmile:

Thanks for the suggestion @Mojo333 . I am eating all the recommended foods, but as I am feeling quite woozy today I phoned to check with the hospital nurse about my iron. She said my haemoglobin on Day 1 blood sample was 95, a bit low but nowhere near the level where they would be concerned. I told her about the circumstances of my fainting and she was appalled that I had been asked to stand for the staple removal. She said almost anyone would faint in that situation!

I had a good day yesterday and we managed a little outing - drive to a lookout and walk very slowly round the car park. I had planned similar today but I don’t feel up to it.

I know I had similar waves of dizziness last time. All part of the recovery process as captured so well in your cartoon of Reality vs Expectations. I shall take it easy and wait for the better day that will come soon.

I had planned similar today but I don’t feel up to it.
Tomorrow is another day. :SUNsmile:
Hopefully with some rest today, you’ll feel up to it tomorrow. A peaceful weekend to you, Klassy. Sorry you’re not feeling as well as you’d like. :console2:Early days and as you know It will get better.

rps20171117_054543.jpg

:) :-) (:
Yep, think you are on 2nd squiggly veering to right, in my professional opinion ....

I agree with your nurse.
I certainly don't know why they had you standing for staple removal either.
Hopefully it gets back to the offender, if for no other reason than the liability had you fainted and fell.

Hope today is restorative and restful.:friends:

Thanks @Mojo333 , I had a good day yesterday - a nice journey up that little up slope. I’m sure there are detours ahead in the second tangle, but at the moment all is looking good.

Re the staples, the offender was very contrite after my faint, very kind and helpful, so I don’t hold it against her. She got quite a fright so she may have learnt a lesson. In hindsight I wish I had been quick witted enough to say, take out the ones you can reach while I’m lying down, and then see about the rest. We know our own bodies best, but in an unfamiliar situation it is hard to over rule an experienced professional who seems to know what they are doing.

@Klassy OMGoodness! What a staple removal saga! It sounds pretty brutal but will confess that you have a great way of relaying the details and it was almost comical with how you described that first staple..
It's no fun to faint like that and can't imagine coming to and seeing five anxious faces over you!
Eeeesch!
But now it's upwards and onwards, right?

My second THR was a bit more difficult than my first also.. but healed just fine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom