THR Diary of my journey to happy times

:friends: Hello. Got a bit behind on updates. Sorry your knee is still giving you trouble. Mine is still swollen, 6 weeks past surgery. Have had X-ray, nothing wrong. Hoping your knee starts behaving. I’m getting impatient too. Desperate to move more. I know it’s not something we can rush, but boy do I wish I could.

"Grind it out" is right. I think my grinder gets a bit jammed sometimes! On the other hand, I remember following you closely when you were just a month out and now I am at the same stage. Pretty damn cool how much our quality of life has already improved!

Yes, I’m luxuriating in being able to sleep in any position I feel like. And my thigh, while in no way resembling the smoothness of a baby’s bottom, looks and feels just like the good one apart from a fine scar. Good hip has also been all quiet on the OA front. So lots to appreciate.

However, my lovely sleep was disturbed this morning when the neighbours decided to party at 4.30 am. Lots of carousing. I may have to stop feeding those birds.:snork:

Day 152, 5 months yesterday.

Still babying the left knee. Sometimes it seems to be improving, sometimes it regresses. Yesterday morning I noticed it hurt a little even before I got out of bed, which is discouraging as until now it didn’t hurt while resting.

I had observed from this diary that the problem developed roughly over a 20 day period from 115 to 135 days. I decided that I would try to give it 20 days of as much as possible rest to recover. So a few more days of rest and then I’ll go to Plan B, do the recommended exercises.

I haven’t been on this forum so much lately. It feels a bit hollow to try to offer support and encouragement to others while feeling so discouraged and frustrated myself. My Pollyanna muscle is also fatigued.

I am sorry that you are still having such a hard time with your knee, @Klassy :sad:

I hope these next few weeks, things resolve and you are back to happy times.
Hope you aren't having to do all the stairs right now and I'll be sending good vibes your way!

I can understand you feeling discouraged. It's hard not to when something goes off our intended path. I felt kicked in the gut yesterday when pain prevented me from going for a walk. I would assume the stairs for ringing are a factor in the knee taking a while to sort out. I think all you can do is try to keep your chin up really. Have you thought of looking at a over the counter support brace? It might take some load off the knee while it heals.
:friends:

Day 156, yesterday, and I don’t want to jinx myself, but the knee is definitely improved. I did a very gentle slow level walk of 3500 short steps in about 30 minutes. No pain from the knee until the last bit which was down hill, but that was only a mild ache. Of course I immediately celebrated by spending the afternoon in the garden! I was very very careful- eg sat on the ground to weed. Getting up from the ground was undignified but achievable.

I have a ringing outing this weekend, I will wear my new knee supports. They came as a pair so I will try on both knees - the right one is doing all the work on stairs so it could probably do with support.

The weather has been glorious so I feel quite content at the moment.

Hi @Klassy Happy to read that your knee is feeling better. It has been beautiful here too. Love working outside. Picked up flowers this morning and look forward to getting pots filled this weekend. I’m impressed you can get off ground. Dignified or not, you’re way ahead of me. Hope you have a great day!

@Klassy I'm super impressed you could get off the ground, dignified or not! I haven't even had the surgery yet and found my self on the floor in a store recently trying to get something on the bottom of a rack and then realized, how the heck am I going to get back up? Was not dignified, nor graceful!
:rotfl:

I hope the knee braces help with doing the stairs for ringing. Having a bit of a walk with no knee pain is encouraging!

Oh the old climbing up the wall syndrome @Elf1 ! I remember it well particularly working in a primary school! Just jealous at the moment of these ladies getting down on the floor never mind up again!

Hi @Klassy. I have just read your diary and goodness you have had a journey and a half. I must say I like your humour ... the Surgeon treated you like a side of beef ... that made me laugh.

It is interesting your knee problems as I do. I to have knee supports which do make a difference. I think you are progressing admirably.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the sunshine (when it's there) and pottering in the garden ... to me that is very therapeutic.
:flwrysmile: Izabel xx

Oh @Izabel , if I have had a journey and a half, you have been to hell and back! I do admire how positive you have stayed through it all. Hopefully you are on the home stretch now.

Day 157, rest and gardening, weather glorious, knee continued to feel comfortable.

Day 158 was a brilliant ringing day, we scored 3 out of 3 quarter peals. That’s a good result because we were on an outing to unfamiliar towers and you never know how the bells will be. At the second tower I had a bell which unexpectedly misbehaved (like bad workmen, ringers blame their bells) and nearly caused us to lose the attempt about 10 minutes in, but luckily there was just enough time for a restart. Lunch was baked haddock with smoked salmon sauce and excellent mixed spring veggies, surprisingly delicious for just a local pub.

Day 159 was a day of ringing practice, also brilliant. There was a good mix of ringers that meant we could ring lots of interesting methods. I didn’t notice my legs at all, in fact the only way in which I wasn’t fully back to my old form was that my hands have become a bit soft, so they were tender after two full days of ringing. Oh, and I had to go down the spiral staircase backwards at the last tower, as it is ridiculously steep and narrow and I am still babying the left knee.

Day 160 back in the garden. No digging! Using a mattock doesn’t count, right?

I haven’t been wearing my knee supports. They are uncomfortable. But I might wear them just while doing my exercises. Which I haven’t started yet, but I am thinking about it. Can’t rush these things.

@Klassy Baked haddock with a smoked salmon sauce sounds well ....unusual. Have you ventured into the pool yet? I have been spending some time in SE Kent tidying MiL’s house and garden. On the many dump trips we pass the new £26m council leisure centre which has two pools and looks rather nice but strangely isn’t very well located unless you drive. A lot swankier than my very expensive “health club”.

Hi @HertsHippy, it was unusual but tasted yummy. Mind you, I do have weird tastes (brussel sprouts, vegemite, rhubarb... ). I was pleased to find something different from the usual pub grub.

No my swimming costume has not got wet yet! I am waiting to be sure my knee has settled down. Also I must admit our local council pool is not that appealing. It sounds like it would be worth checking what is available nearby.

Knee update: it’s doing reasonably well and I’m thinking it may be time to get in touch again with Max, my borrowed doggy. Today (Day 163) I walked to the local shop and back, about a mile, no problem. On arriving home at the front door I realised I had left something in the shop, so there was a second one mile walk, at brisk pace. Half way home I began to feel pain in my left kneecap ( recently any knee pain has been below and to inside of kneecap). Currently resting with ice and feeling fine. So at the moment I seem to be good for a range of about 1.5 miles. Rather like an early model electric car.

Good news is that my package was still sitting where I had left it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom