THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Hi Klassy. I am just over seven months out and can only now do steps downstairs alternating. It does come but slowly slowly. I was surprised it took me this long but one muscle band has been persistently awkward and needed loosening up I think. Gentle stretching does help.

Thanks @SurreyGirl , it’s reassuring to know it can come so late for some of us. I keep feeling I ought to be working on these things, but despite my worries the walking without aids just arrived, eventually, so I guess I should trust that alternating on stairs will too. But stretches might be important. Maybe it’s coming to the time to go see the physio I went to pre op and see what she suggests.

I’ve been spending less time on Bonesmart lately so have only just caught up with your thread. Your application for redundancy was rejected! Congratulations! I think..? I imagine it is rather bittersweet after all that agonising and decision making. It shows that they do understand how valuable you are. And you have some period of certainty. And the swanky health club! Good work on negotiating the deal with them, I wish I had you as my negotiator.

Well those who didn’t get vs are only protected for 6 months and after that compulsory may happen as the restructuring is still going in so “those that must be kept” to misquote Anna Rice are still very nervous and anxious but the only way to cope is to get on with it.

Not an easy time for any of us...

Funny about the negotiation skills. I never had any formal training but temped in a lot of business development depts writing up contracts and guess I learnt on the job! I always found the bidding process interesting even though I was a “mere secretary”.... and I found out the hard way I needed them through the nhs process too!

I became more active in the union after the last restructuring so try to help with casework and get the best outcome for people. It is tiring though as, understandably, people get very emotional.

Hermione is complaining this morning. My leg really swelled up last night so guess I was too fast on the hill. I deliberately left my stick in the office so that might have had something to do with it. As usual ice and elevation helped. Hubby thought I was going mad as I had my headphones on and was laughing out loud watching “Fleabag”!

Keep going with the stretches. I went from not being able to the alternative steps downstairs to managing it quite well in a four week period so it does come...

Last edited:
I may reconsider my intention of getting my surgery notes. I can get a bit offended by things like that which is ridiculous I guess but that's me. :) I was very fortunate with all my pokes. My spinal felt like butter going in as did the IV and various bloodwork. The only thing that upset me was I was booked into theatre for 3 hours an 30 minutes before going in the OS said likely only about an hour. Very weird, but I felt a bit ripped off and at risk of neglect. I also quickly remembered that I couldn't get a cancellation slot because of needing a 3 hours slot. Funny to be so offended by that when I already had my surgical bonnet on :rotfl:. We think I wound up in theatre just under 2 hours.

Not so good with the job then @SurreyGirl. Tough times. But you are a survivor.

@Carriemay60 , I would have been cross about the one hour estimate when you had been on hold for so long waiting for your 3 hour slot. In fact I am cross on your behalf. But, as helenium said on your thread, better not to have needed your full 3 hours or more. I’m sorry to read you are in such pain at the moment. I guess one positive is that the OS warned you it would be so. It won’t make it hurt less, but it does mean you don’t need to worry that the pain may indicate something wrong. I’ve been keeping fingers crossed for you to get the surgery, now I will continue to keep hoping that the pain eases soon. It will be a hard wait, but each minute you get through is a minute closer to the new you playing with your gorgeous grandkids.

By day 4-5 you should be feeling quite a bit better but the first few days can be very tough. Hoping the healing happens and the pain is better managed xx

I mentioned I was thinking about getting a dog, a while back. I had some wise advice from several hippies and in particular,
If you go ahead, you and your husband must have a very honest, frank discussion about budget for saving your dogs life. If your limit is 2,000, you must be in agreement. Otherwise you can be in danger of running with emotions and going far beyond a comfortable budget.

I wonder if you might consider options to give it a try without making a permanent commitment before you get your own puppy. …

Well, I had the money limit discussion with my husband. Time passed.

Yesterday husband came home from a long overdue visit to the dentist with a list of major works required to his teeth, and the cost thereof. “I think we may have to have me put down” he said dolefully.

Also implementing @Carriemay60 ’s advice, I signed up to a website called “Borrowmydoggy” which matches owners to willing walkers/sitters. Today I met Max and his lovely owner, who already has borrowers several times a week. She (owner) can no longer walk far after a knee replacement gone bad ( scary that). I took him for a walk and we have another date for Friday.

Max is about as far removed from my dream puppy as possible, being large, male and mature (14). But a lovely dog, very well behaved and friendly. Despite being nearly 100 in dog years he can walk further and faster than me and the new hip, but is patient enough to keep to my pace.

Oh, by the way, don’t worry, I am keeping the husband.

@Klassy - dog borrowing sounds like a very smart idea. Our dog walks are now very very slow - about an hour for one mile - he walks slowly and spends a lot of time sniffing.

Hi Klassy, I hope you're having a nice Tuesday.
I've never heard of "Borrowmydoggy" but then again I'm across the pond. I'm sure they must have programs like that here. Very cool. It's a win for the owner, a win for the dog and a win for you. Love it!
Enjoy the rest of your day, Klassy!
@Klassy

I am so grateful that you have kept up the 10 day intervals. So encouraging to read! I agree, shopping for food, long car rides, sleeping in preferred position, ok seriously any position sounds good at 20 days post op. I have many reminders written on boards around the house just how many regular things I will do post recovery. Thank you for the inspiration! @Klassy

@Klassy Just saw your post about Max. Sweet! Although he is like night and day to what you want, getting to know him and his owner may help you answer some questions. Smaller dogs can be a huge comfort to us. Big dogs can do but in my opinion they are like apples and oranges. Truffles has been a sweetheart since I got home. She had to go outside while I got settled and was screaming with excitement to see me and the dreaded suitcase return home but then came to side of my chair and got up to say hello nicely until she saw the cookie, grabbed it and ran. She comes into the bedroom everytime I lay down to check on me and is obviously aware of my needed space.

Hello @Fit4Family , I’m glad you have found my10 day updates encouraging. I am at the stage now of being amazed how far I have come. I have just read your thread and see you have had a rough start, but you have a great positive attitude, looking forward to the things you will be doing. You also seem to be blessed like me with a caring husband, such a help. You have a wonderful username, really sums it up. Hang in there like the OS told you and the healing will happen, may be slowly to start with but eventually you will be ticking off the milestones.

The borrow my doggy scheme sounds great. I love dogs and they seem to like me - and have always wanted one but work got in the way. This strikes me as a very good way of getting some exercise and delving deeper into what dog owning is really about. My friends who have dogs do have restricted holidays as they don’t like putting their animals into kennels.

I fear I would get very emotionally attached too!

Glad you are doing the 10 day updates Klassy. They must be helping lots of people.

Have a great day!

Putting a dog in kennels is usually fine as long as they start going when they are relatively young. Most kennels are run by dog lovers - our dog always got lots of walks, affection from the carers and plenty of playing with other furry friends. The big drawback we have had is that our local kennels get fully booked months in advance for peak times which meant planning a long way in advance when our children were at school. Also if the dog has an infection then it cannot go - we once had to cancel a holiday at short notice.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope you are having a great day :)
@Klassy

Thank you @Layla , I am! I just came in from gardening, and am having a rest before making crumble with the last of 2018’s apples and the first harvest of rhubarb for 2019.

Thank you for all your support and encouragement through those 4 months. They are going by faster and faster now!

Wishing you a happy and healthy Easter doing everything that brings you joy.

Aww, what a sweetheart. Thank you for the kind words.
Wishing you a wonderful Easter also.
Blowing a kiss across the pond :loveshwr:
@Klassy

Thank you for the encouraging words @Klassy I’m so happy to hear you have a caring husband too. Some days I get tearful thinking of all he’s been through too. Happy 4 month anniversary! You are an inspiration!

@Klassy - I saw a playful cockapoo puppy in our dog walkers field today - just like the one in your avatar. I can see why you want one!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom