THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Day 90, first Sunday service ringing at our two towers, it felt good to be back in the routine. I am being patient and climbing the spiral staircases toddler style. My right leg is going to be so strong by the time my left leg is recovered! I can feel it working after 50 steps in a row, but in a good way. And as I was climbing a set of stairs at a shopping centre later in the day I realised I could walk up easily with alternating feet. It is just that the stairs at home and in the church towers are steep. And that I have short legs.
Day 91, another tiny first, I can now balance on each leg to put trousers on while standing. Actually I think I have done this before, but now I can do it twinge-free. My cold has me coughing like crazy, which is annoying, but will pass. The weather mellowed sufficiently today that I could emulate @Barbaraj - sun on my face and grubbing in the dirt!

Congrats, Klassy, on the bell ringing. That is a milestone worth celebrating.
Even getting up there toddler style is an accomplishment as you're able to do it without suffering pain. It's all good! I'm very happy for you. Thanks for sharing. I hope your cold eases soon.
@Klassy

another tiny first, I can now balance on each leg to put trousers on while standing.
That's a big first - at almost 5 months I still aspire to do that. I have to put my hand on drawers or touch a wall when putting trousers on the "good" leg and balancing on the operated leg.

Thanks @HertsHippy , that’s encouraging, particularly as you are doing so well. I think once again my short legs are an advantage - low centre of gravity! The physio did set me some balancing exercises which I have been working on, makes sense to do all I can to reduce risk of falls.
Day 92: I managed to find a break in the rain to take a walk in the park, 45 minutes without aids. I thought I’d better get out of the house and do it or I’d have nothing to report in my Bonesmart diary. You see how good you are for me!

A nice walk in a park is definitely on my wish list! We have a couple of very nice ones here along Lake Ontario with yummy ice-cream shops to cap it off. And we are only 45 minutes from Niagara Falls which has a great promenade. Hopefully I can enjoy the Jazz Festival up there this summer. :whistle:

Wow, you are dedicated, @Klassy--walks in the rain for 45 minutes?! I am a fair weather walker at best, and can't imagine trudging along in the rain. But I bet it felt good to be outside regardless of the rain, with fresh air in your face and the ability to move along without aids. Also good to read that you've got PT exercises that are working on your balance (so important for all of us going forward) and maybe strength and flexibility, too. You seem like you are doing really well, so hurray for you! Happy midweek!

Good for you, Klassy!
I'll bet a nice 45 minute walk felt rewarding.
At only three months post op, you're doing well. Keep it up.
I hope you have a peaceful relaxing evening.
@Klassy

Thanks all, I’m grateful for your comments as you do spur me on to make an effort. @Barbaraj you are spot on, it was more of a grimly determined trudge than a pleasant stroll in the park, but at least there were daffodils to brighten the gloom. Not too much longer till your op @Carriemay60 and not too long after that the weather should be just right for you to take your walks with ice cream breaks beside Niagara Falls, I will be cheering you on.

Day 93: I am delighted to report a significant milestone in my campaign to return to bellringing. I rang a quarter peal on real bells with real people. Very nice patient people too, who waited 45 minutes for H and me as we were delayed by terrible traffic on the way to the tower. Our route was solid with trucks held up by the ferry crossing. A stressful start but a happy finish.

After ringing H and I had lunch in a cafe with a beautiful view of the whitecapped waves that I think were causing the ferry problems. Even with the grimmest of teethgritting dedication I could not face a walk in that wind, so we went to a large hardware store where I could do some indoor circuits while H browsed contentedly among the tools. I clocked up 4500 steps but I am hoping for milder weather tomorrow, as I have exhausted my interest in joinery and plumbing.

You are very determined! Great about the bell ringing and your lovely friends waiting for you.

Plumbers are a sore subject in our house right now!

Well, I think sitting inside a comfortably warm restaurant, with a nice lunch before me (preferably including nice glass of wine) while looking out over the wind tossed waves sounds like a lovely midday break. I, too, would be bored witless by a hardware store, but if it afforded you the opportunity to get in some mileage for the day, it's all to the good. You're doing so well, @Klassy, so happy to read your story--you'll be back to full bell ringing, walking and gardening in another few months--here's to the happy life!

I have also been to a large hardware store today - the guttering on our conservatory has broken. The good news is that I can race up ladders, the bad news is that I cannot work out how to take the guttering down, even after lots of googling.

@HertsHippy , you know the expression “First World problem”? I’m trying to think of the equivalent to describe the state of being able to run to the top of a ladder, but not being able to fix the problem when you get there. “Healthy Hip Problem” maybe. Which is not to diss your gutter problems of course.

And be careful up there.

@Klassy - it’s very much “hip in progress” - lots I cannot do. I still cannot balance on the operated leg to put on trousers arrgghhh. However I will be going to my first post-op half marathon - to cheer on my wife and son.

Day 94: First time leaving the house without any aids - until now a crutch or stick has been taken along just in case. Drove to the supermarket and did the shopping, plus a 20 minute walk along the riverside walk adjoining the car park. I also carried the shopping in, which is new, but by then I needed a lie down so got H to put the shopping away. So normal activity but not quite normal feeling. Some gardening in the morning, very cautious in moving round the flower beds, and ringing practice in the evening, ringing ok but not yet ringing up or down (technical explanation, we leave the bells hanging down, like snow drops, because that is the safe position. Before we ring, we have to pull the ropes as with normal ringing to swing the bells to and fro through an increasing arc until they are balanced mouth up, like tulips. This is harder work than ringing because you are raising the centre of gravity of a heavy lump of metal. Like pushing a child on a swing, hard work to get going then just a gentle push will keep it going. At the end of the evening we ring down, which in theory should take no effort because it is lowering the centre of gravity. But we do it in a controlled way so it can take a lot of effort- like controlling a shopping trolley going downhill. So I sit and baby my hip while the others do the work.)

I had a horrible night with coughing. I always have a cough for a couple of weeks after a cold. Confession: I have codeine pills because the GP gave me a repeat prescription at about the time I stopped needing them for pain relief. In the last week I have resorted to taking 2 at night so I can stop coughing and get some sleep. I tried to do without last night but gave in eventually. I feel a bit guilty with all the publicity around addiction. But the cough will go soon and I will stop then.

A little codeine does help a cough a lot! Don't feel quilty or worry about addiction; obviously you are well aware of crossing the line. I find a hot rum toddy really helps at night and to be honest if I had a lemon on hand I would have a half measure on top of my pain meds tonight.

Even though we have never met, I feel quite proud of you for following your passion with the ringing and I have truly enjoyed learning about the hobby!

@Carriemay60 , you are so sweet! I am lucky to have hobbies I am passionate about. Though I do envy those with children and grandchildren, they enrich your life in a way I can only imagine.

Day 95. All is well though progress currently has to be measured on the nano level. I walked around the block trying to get under 14 minutes (=3 mph) but remain stuck at 15 minutes. I did however carry on around the next block, for a total of 35 minutes, not even carrying a stick, so pretty happy with that. I continue to practise alternating feet going up our stairs at home. I still have to use the banister a lot but it is marginally easier. And I enjoyed an afternoon of gardening. This is such a magical time of year, new growth busting out all over, and the birds singing their hearts out.

You sound wonderful, @Klassy
Things are really progressing nicely for you. It feels liberating to leave the assistive device behind. I kept a cane in my car for about a month after I quit using it, until one day I decided I was tired of looking at it and removed it. I often use the railing / bannister when walking up or down stairs. It just feels more secure.
I hope your cough eases soon. Such a nuisance when you're trying to sleep. :gaah:
A great Sunday to you!

Thanks @Layla , wishing you a great weekend too. (I know the time differences are tricky, but I hope it is Saturday here. Otherwise I have missed Sunday morning ringing!)

When I say using the banister, I expect I will always like to use it for balance and reassurance, but at present I am hauling on it. Our funny old staircase runs out of banister after 10 steps, out of 11. If I lead off with left leg, I have to switch to using right leg twice in a row for steps 10 and 11. I have once or twice managed to get up momentum enough to get the left leg to complete step 11, just, but mostly I stutter to a halt like an engine stalling. So I have a clear goal to work on.

At the moment I am not working on anything, just listening to the gale raging outside, lazing in bed with a contented cat purring beside me. This is very wicked, because it’s 11am. Plus we don’t have a cat. I have stolen the neighbours’.

Thanks @Layla , wishing you a great weekend too. (I know the time differences are tricky, but I hope it is Saturday here. Otherwise I have missed Sunday morning ringing!)

You're a funny one today, Klassy. :heehee: Sometimes I get lost and confused here, lol.
Hope you're having a great Saturday and my wishes for a great Sunday still stand also.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie