THR Diary of my journey to happy times

I confess that I adore grape hyacinths as well although admittedly they are really a very pretty weed in that they spread all over, such little plant bullies. But when my front garden patch is covered by that deliriously lovely indigo swath of color and scent, I always smile coming in and out my front door.
That’s a lovely image you describe so evocatively. I cherish quite a few flowers that have a bullying tendency. It’s disappointing when you google to identify some pretty new arrival that has popped up in the garden, only to find the first 20 hits are for ways to eradicate this fearsome weed.

Day 81. I had a physio appointment, it went very well. I went in sans-crutches and was commended for my gait. I wasn’t directly asked if I had been doing the exercises. mostly I haven’t, except for balancing and working at stepping up with the operated leg. However everything I was tested on measured up well. I even found I could walk up and down stairs alternating legs. That was on the nice hospital stairs. When I got home to our steep staircase I tried there, and again was pleasantly surprised to find I could go up, though only with maximum exertion. I won’t attempt down until the up is easier. She asked me about the bell ringing and I reported on what I had done, and how it felt. She gave me exercises specific to improving stamina there. I worked through them and whenever there was a twinge I didn’t like, told her and the exercise was modified slightly so it felt ok. I’m now confident that I’m ready so I will start taking the exercise program seriously from now on. All in all it was an enjoyable session, only bad thing is that I am now signed off. She did say I could call if I have any worries in next couple of months.

I thought I should mark the occasion by driving the 30 minute journey home (H had driven me there). That went fine, or at least as well as ever. I haven’t had a car most of my life and have never enjoyed it or been good at it, so I am cautious and no doubt annoying to more aggressive drivers. But from the hip point of view it was absolutely no problem.

@Klassy Your physio sounds wonderful. My surgeon has a reputation for being a hard a** with physio and has a physio attached to his primary office. I, however am a believer of the Bonesmart BIG TIP so a bit anxious (actually keeping me awake with worry). I know I can say no but this surgeon would wash his hands of me if I did so keep trying to find ways of faking it in case I ever need him again. Not a huge city and he is the best according to my GP and he is also the Chief.
I just love daffs and tulips (obviously). Our immediate neighbour has about 250/300 tulips in his front yard but sadly all the same red. I love a mix of colour. Still, at the end of the day, nothing makes me happier than flowers no matter the colour! A big favourite for me is Sweet William. So hardly and blooms late and so profusely! I have 4 inch bit of soil, which might even be exaggerated in reality that I put several seeds in a couple of years ago and they grew like wildfire all around the front porch. Absolutely gorgeous! I should be able to get some seeds in this year even if it means a little help from my son. Very exciting for me!

Hi @Klassy - My second THR was about a week before yours; your thread really sounded familiar, it could be from me! I still use a grabber to get those pesky socks out of the dryer, use the sock aid to put socks on, and keep a cane in the car, just in case. I too was totally unaware of the long recovery process, I thought I’d be super woman within a few weeks. Reality is much different. I still go up and down stairs one at a time, like a toddler because of knee discomfort/pain which I understand will go away eventually. So, one day at a time, treat yourself well, and keep icing frequently. I think when the weather is a bit brighter our outlooks will be as well. Best to you and all recovering hipsters! :) :-) (:

Woo, hoo! Great report from physio, @Klassy! And now you're fired from further sessions, right? I was sad when my physical therapy ended as I always enjoyed the sessions and really respond well to instruction and routine. I'd go to PT year around if it was authorized and paid for! Nice to read you're doing so well, and now feel comfortable about strength building exercise so that you can slowly but surely resume the activities you love so much. I do believe the stairs will become easier as you progress--I remember the first time I actually went up the stairs alternating, and without thinking about it first--small victories! Have a great weekend. PS I love sweet box--a very dull looking shrub but the mostly heavenly early spring scent. When I was out gently sweeping our deck yesterday afternoon, I noticed the scent, looked over at the shrub with it's tiny blossoms (very boring) and smiled to myself.

Hi @Carriemay60 , yes my physio is really nice, it’s a pity that just as I’m reaching the point where I can use her advice I have been signed off. But she has given me some useful pointers for the future, and even when she was pushing the dreaded resistance bands on me far too soon I did value her reassurance.

Now you just have to stop worrying about how your physio will be. Let’s hope you get one of the good ones, that will be a real asset. But imagine the worst happens, you get the slave driver type. You will be going in there prepared. You can seem to be the perfect compliant patient without letting them hurt you. Go through the motions of exercises if you have to, but keep all the moves much smaller than you can actually do. Grimace and grunt and they will think you are trying. If they lay hands on you to move you, start gasping and yelping long before it hurts. When you return for the next visit and they ask how the exercises are going, say fine. Distract them with questions. You’ll be fine!

I like Sweet Williams too, they made a lovely show last summer in a part of the garden where everything else had struggled, and self-seeded like mad, so I’m hoping for another fine show this year for no effort at all. That’s my sort of plant!

Day 82: I had another of those small victories, I drove to the supermarket and did the shopping all by myself, plus filled the car with fuel. I have to say, driving was 10 times easier without husband in the passenger seat!

Grimace and grunt and they will think you are trying. If they lay hands on you to move you, start gasping and yelping long before it hurts.
:egypdance: :egypdance: :egypdance:

Perhaps I should get my son to give a few acting lessons before the surgery :)

Nice you got out alone! I really miss my independence a lot and look forward to getting it back. I love spending time with my husband but feel sometimes like he hovers over me. I can't imagine what it will be like having him in my shadow 24\7 when he retires next year! :friends:

@Carriemay60 , you’ll just have to find him a hobby that gets him out of the house!

Day 83: I took two walks, a total of 7000 steps. The first one in rain and strong wind was a bit of a struggle, not easy wrestling an umbrella and a crutch. But I did happen to bump into a friend who told me I looked well. Always nice to hear. I think the exertion had put colour in my cheeks. The sun came out briefly in the afternoon so I went out again to the park. I also did some real gardening, actually putting my foot on a spade to dig. I was pleased to find I could do this without pain. I didn’t do much though, best not to overdo it. One benefit of the op and enforced break from gardening is that my back has had a rest. I had chronic back pain which I think had a bit to do with the hip and a lot to do with bad habits in my gardening. Now my back feels fine I am going to concentrate on good posture and keep it that way.

What a great accomplishment, Klassy! Awesome job on 7000 steps. You're doing well,
taking it slow and it's paying off. How wonderful you were able to get out in the garden.
Everything old feels new again, at least that's how I felt. You gain a new appreciation for the simple things.
I hope you have a nice week!
@Klassy

Thanks @Layla . You are right, little achievements bring such pleasure. I keep thinking I will run out of things to record, but so far every day seems to bring something new, or as you say, something old and familiar made fresh and new.

Wishing you a great week too.

The first one in rain and strong wind
Oh @Klassy, you put me to shame, well done. It wasn't raining here when I stepped out for a walk, but the wind was so strong I came straight back in!

I had chronic back pain which I think had a bit to do with the hip and a lot to do with bad habits in my gardening.
I feel exactly the same. But you were wise enough not to overdo it, I never learn.

Just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your updates. You have such a wonderful sense of humour and I'm so pleased to read how well you're doing.

Question: when you all talk of going up and down stairs, is that one at a time, or like a “normal” person. I’m just 3 months out from THR and navigate stairs when needed, but do so one foot down or up at a time, like a 2 year old. My knee of the operated hip grabs and is painful both going up and down.

I think most are speaking of going up by alternating steps rather than "toddler style" as that's the ultimate goal. If you have an arthritic knee it will most likely come into play while navigating stairs. Just be cautious and do whatever you need to do to get from point A to point B. It's all you can do. @Atkinson8

@Atkinson8 , it took me quite a while to even do toddler style on our home stairs, which are steep. Last Friday at the physio was the first time I had done any stairs normal style, ie alternating feet. I managed both up and down, to my surprise, on their nice easy stairs. I had been working my operated leg to build up to it. After the unexpected success at the physio I then tried normal style at home, just up, and could do it with a lot of hauling on the banister. In the three days since I have kept working at it and today it was noticeably easier going up, though still with a lot of banister. I am not going to try down until the up is easy.

My toddler style is always good foot leading up, bad foot leading down.

I have at times had knee pain in the good leg, but it’s okay at the moment. In the bad leg I feel it, when alternating, in the back of the thigh, but in a good, workout sort of ache. 10 steps normal up then toddler down has me breathing hard, repeat once and I’m exhausted. So “normal” is not quite the word for it!

To work up to it the physio suggested shallow squats. I did these a bit, in the last two weeks, but also my own version. This was: stand at bottom of stairs and put bad leg up on first step. Use banister on good side (there is only one banister) and hand of bad side on about the fourth step. With most of weight on hands, put as much weight on bad leg as I could and do little movements upwards. At first I was just taking weight partly off the good leg, then rising a bit, then more. Always just what didn’t hurt. After about a week of trying this occasionally, I could straighten the leg and bring good leg onto same step. Step down backwards leading with bad leg, repeat whole thing. I still do this sort of revving up before climbing the stairs with continuous alternating steps, but I don’t need the left hand on stairs anymore, just the right hand on banister.

If you have knee pain and no access to a physio to advise, I’d say look for some gentle knee strengthening exercises. Or just rely on walking and patience, and one day the stairs will come normally. Your recovery has been much faster than mine in every other area (I remember being aghast at the thought of going back to work when you did) so I expect the normal stair climbing will come along by itself.

Good morning, @Klassy, or should I say, "gardening girl"? You are doing so well if you actually got out into your garden and used a spade without hurting yourself--and 7000 steps? Woo, hoo! I was able to sweep off our aggregate patio and a couple of wooden decks on Friday, but that doesn't really count as "gardening". It is cold in my neck of the woods today, although sunshine ahead. Still, I am a fair weather gardener, and need sunshine AND warm temperatures before I'm tempted to get out and do much. And if I'm being honest, all I ever really do is weed and pick up yard debris. Staying inside today, however. I can do inside chores instead. Have a great day!

Thank you for your kind words. I have done very little today except sit and look out at the garden. This of course is an essential part of the gardener’s work, as the plants need to know that they are appreciated. My excuse is that I have unfortunately caught the cold that H has been nurturing for the last few days. On the plus side, this reinstates my position as chief invalid. For a while there my claim was under threat, but no more. Whilst there may be an argument as to which deserves more sympathy, a twelve week old hip or a cold, there is no doubt that a new hip AND a cold trumps a mere cold.

Day 84, my 12 week anniversary. My big new thing is that I can now lie on my operated side. This would in the normal state of affairs lead to a great improvement in sleeping, but with this cold I will probably be propped up on pillows and snuffling all night. Grrrr! Never mind, hopefully the leg will continue to mend and ignore the malaise of the upper respiratory tract.

Sorry you're feeling under the weather, Klassy.
I hope your cold doesn't last long. Get lots of rest.
Wishing you comfort :console2:
@Klassy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties