THR Diary of my journey to happy times

@HertsHippy Not even with our weird springtime and the new bulbs coming out? I agree not quite as lovely as they are in summer and autumn though!

Autumn was a great time to have the op - after the garden was tidied up for winter, out of action when the days were short and the weather dull and getting back to normal when the good days return and work can begin in the garden again.
That was exactly my thinking and why I booked my op for December. But aren’t we lucky with the winter in uk this year. Even when I was barely mobile, it was very cheering when the sun shone.

Go on, tell us how many steps! I bet it was a lot.

I’m glad you are finally getting some sunshine too @Barbaraj . I hope you are having a restful day, I think you have earned one.

@LdnFizz , I am fascinated by comparing our varied recoveries. I’ve noticed it reading other threads, sometimes (often!) I’m amazed by what other people at the same stage can do that I can’t, and then they mention not being able to do something that I find easy. I don’t know why my balancing seems to be coming on more quickly than other abilities, but it is definitely an asset for things like standing on one leg to wash the sole of my other foot in the shower, which I have only just felt confident enough to do.

Day 77: My new achievement for today was walking into town to go to the bank. It’s a reasonable distance, .75 miles each way, but it wasn’t the distance that put me off attempting it till now but the busyness. Our high street is always thronged with people not looking where they are going. There were a few nerve wracking moments but I survived with the help of my crutch, not for support but to stave off a couple of phone-gazers. But I would have left the crutch behind in the bank if the teller hadn’t reminded me!

I used to think nothing of walking to the bank and back but in the last year it had become a struggle. So I can now say that I have recovered my mobility to my pre op level. Now I’m looking forward to positive gains, getting back to pre OA.

Sounds like a great walk to and from the bank, @Klassy. And you managed it without discomfort? Good for you! And I do remember those early days of using, in my case, a walking pole, not so much for support as to make sure distracted folks didn't bump into me. When I almost downed my husband, carelessly whacking him in the shins one evening, I decided it was time to give it up. Here's to more walks and slow but steady increase in activity. I've been stupid lately so I need to back off, but with some R&R, I am hoping by week's end I'll be back on the straight and narrow again.

@Barbaraj, not entirely without discomfort (hmmm, rather a lot of negatives in a row there). I had to sit down in the bank before making the return trip. That was the same when my OA was bad. But the discomfort was a bit of soreness, not the deep ache with occasional shooting pain of the OA.

I have not yet whacked my husband with a walking aid!

@HertsHippy, isn’t it amazing? Our magnolia is just starting to bloom.

Day 78: we went to our church tower so I could practise on a real bell. How this works is that H ties the clapper to one side of the bell so there is no sound to disturb the neighbours. We have installed a sensor system on the wheel of a bell that sends an electronic signal every time the bell swings to the laptop computer we plug in down in the ringing room to generate the sound. And the computer program fills in the sound of the other bells. So the experience is very much like ringing with a band of perfect ringers and as many bells as you want. I was practising an 8 bell method in our 6 bell tower. It was a bit of a shock at first that I had to put so much more effort to move the real bell compared to our simulator at home, but it began to feel familiar. I just did two sets of about 10 minutes each. I was pleased with it as a first attempt. It’s great to have a dry run in private before I join in with other people, which I’ll be doing on Thursday.

We took our trip to the coast for a walk. Interestingly, the temperature at home was 18C (64F) but when we got within about a mile of the coast it dropped to 10.5 (50F). It was still pleasant as the sun was warm, but I was surprised at the difference. As we drove back home the temperature went back up to 18C.

Then I got my hair cut. I hadn’t been since just before the op. The hairdresser asked me why I had the crutch so I told her hip replacement in December. I was braced for stories of great aunts who went bungee jumping straight from hospital etc. Well she didn’t have any of those, mercifully, but she did tell me I ought to stop using my crutch or I’d grow too dependent on it. Plus I ought to be driving by now or I’d lose my independence. Wonderful how people with no medical training or knowledge of our specific circumstances feel so equipped to hand out advice. Never mind, I was happy with the hair cut, which is what matters!

And then there was still an hour of daylight left to spend tidying up the garden.

So a very good day.

My physios advice was to use the crutch until I stopped limping. I still have to use my Leki for long distances 7 months out which I find frustrating.

@Klassy @HertsHippy yes this has been such a lovely period of weather- but I fear for the gardens and animals when the cold returns (apparently starting a bit tomorrow)- mind you it has still been cold at night. Haven't had any rhododendrons or magnolias out here yet- but all look almost ready. And it does make practising walking that bit more enjoyable and easy.

Like @SurreyGirl my physio also said to use the crutch to ensure one did lose the limp/ waddle. And it worked- first time took many months- and there were times I really got tired of them/ it. And I got tired of people making comments about still using it/ them. But I got very good at pausing and looking at whoever said it and saying "hmmm well the thing is there is a lot of research that says you should use it/ them until you are no longer limping- and I am determined to ensure my surgery is a real success"- and you know what everyone seemed to understand- so much of the time people say things without really thinking- let alone using any emotional intelligence to consider the impact of the way they speak on another person.

I am relieved however that second time round I am able to not limp (for some period of time) at a much earlier stage. But I can't put a plaster on my right toe where I have a big blister from wearing new trainers!

@HertsHippy It’s a Stellata variety, white flowers, very pretty but don’t last long. It’s a tree about 15 foot tall, so the flowers will have to take their chances with frost - I’m not climbing it to put a fleece on it!

@LdnFizz I shall practise your response and have it ready in case.

@SurreyGirl whenever I saw people with walking poles I assumed they were serious hikers. Mind you if you are wearing stilettos you may spoil the effect.

@Klassy @HertsHippy yes this has been such a lovely period of weather- but I fear for the gardens and animals when the cold returns (apparently starting a bit tomorrow)- mind you it has still been cold at night. Haven't had any rhododendrons or magnolias out here yet- but all look almost ready. And it does make practising walking that bit more enjoyable and easy.
It's been lovely in W Yorkshire too but frost every morning.We have a daffodil out! I still feel cold in the house though when everyone else is sitting around in T shirts. Too much sitting about on my part or do the blood thinners have any effect on making me feel cold?

Sunny again in my neck of the woods, very nice to wake up to this. Yesterday it was overcast and grey, and my mood was down as a result, I think. It's still quite chilly, colder than normal here in the PNW this month. But if I had to choose between warmer temperatures and clouds or cooler with sunshine, I'd vote for the sunshine every time. Sounds like a lot of folks are talking about gardens starting to get into spring flowering, and I did notice some purple crocus up in our front yard yesterday. The winter camellia in our back yard has finished blooming so even thought it doesn't seem like spring at all, I guess it's on the way.

I think today is the day (barring time differences) when you noted that you'd be joining other people for a group bell ringing session, @Klassy . I hope this comes off well, and you'll enjoy getting together with others to create beautiful music. I had a friend who did this for her church and she really enjoyed it, very satisfying. So, here's to enjoyable and satisfying activity. And poop on those folks who offer criticism or unsolicited advice about whether or not you should be using an assistive device! You do you, and ignore them!

@bickypeg , the first daffodil of spring is a real mood lifter isn’t it? (Or is that just me?). I don’t know about the effects of blood thinners, but I do think folk do have different thermostats. My husband and I are always at loggerheads over the central heating. Our latest car has a wonderful feature: dual climate control. Today we were driving and I was in T-shirt with my temperature control set to 20 C. H was wearing a winter jacket and had his temperature set to 26.

@Barbaraj, thanks for remembering, yes it was a big moment for me today, my return to ringing. It went very well. I rang 5 times, each time for about 8 minutes, which was a normal amount for the sort of practice it was but more than I had expected to be capable of for my first time back. By the end of each 8 minutes my thigh muscles were beginning to seize up, and I had to hobble over to the bench to sit for a bit. So I have some more recovering to do before I can ring a quarter peal, which is about 45 minutes non stop. I have arranged a quarter peal for 2 weeks time, but with H as reserve to substitute for me in case I am not ready.

Daffodils are my favourite flower @Klassy, probably because they are such a cheerful reminder spring is on the way even if they are poking out of a snowdrift. The kids had got me some lilies when I came out of hospital and I remember thinking what a poor substitute they were for a nice bunch of daffs! I was duly appreciative though.

Hope you've recovered from your bell ringing exertions, @Klassy. You will be back to a 45 minute session eventually, I have faith and you should, too. I know it brightened your mood and outlook to do this first session with other ringers, and with continued recovery you'll be able to increase your time each session.

Daffodils are great--but it's the scented early spring flowers that are the most wonderful for me. I love the few hyacinths that pop up, smelling so heavenly. I confess that I adore grape hyacinths as well although admittedly they are really a very pretty weed in that they spread all over, such little plant bullies. But when my front garden patch is covered by that deliriously lovely indigo swath of color and scent, I always smile coming in and out my front door.

Thank you @Bone-obo , and yahoo you go boy to you too, I see you are back on the trike! Yee hah!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone