THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Yesterday, Day 21, I finally peeled off the dressing and had my first look (via a photo, no mirror handy) at the incision. What a beautiful fine line! I can see that when it heals fully it will be perfectly acceptable in a bikini, it will scarcely be visible at all among all the surrounding wobbly cellulite and wrinkly flab on the rest of leg, other leg, tummy etc. I shall post a photo on the scar thread once I’ve got the pic small enough. I have to say, I was amazed when I found Bonesmart at how young my fellow hippies are. I thought I was young for a THR at 64. And then I was amazed all over again at what pert bottoms are displayed on the scar thread. Well I shall rebalance that! I seem to have very little bruising, which matches what I felt. The incision area generally is a bit numb, I guess the nerves take time to knit together. There is a bit of swelling; H who has a clearer view says it has reduced a lot over the 3 weeks. When I sit down it isn’t sore, but it feels like I am sitting on something in my pocket.

I have to say, I was amazed when I found Bonesmart at how young my fellow hippies are. I thought I was young for a THR at 64.
You are young for THR. But that's the trend these days. People are living more active lives and those joints just can't take the wear and tear.
When I sit down it isn’t sore, but it feels like I am sitting on something in my pocket.
Internal swelling. Keep icing - this will soon fade.

Hi @oregonlass . You are so right about shortage of storage being an issue. And too much stuff! Whenever I have one of my cleanup frenzies, the house looks lovely for a while, but H laments ( with some justification) that he can’t find anything. I lived in Australia for some years, and when UK people ask me what I miss most, I always say “my 4 bedroom house with built in wardrobes in every bedroom”!
There is a plus to our narrow terrace houses, and that is that everything is close together. Before OA, I could walk to a major shopping centre in 15 minutes, to work in 20, and be among woodlands and fields of grazing sheep in 30. Mind you, lots of people still drive those short trips. I am the world’s worst parker, so I always prefer to walk if I can.

Absolutely AMEN to the house with builtins!!!!!! Don't forget the double attached garage where you can put all the stuff you won't need for months on end... like Christmas.
While TOO big leads to collecting stuff, I've also seen over-cramped means you can't find anything. It's a real balancing act.

Your home set up sounds a lot like my husband's Mum and sister's places. Probably one reason his Mum is able to still be so active in her mid 80s. If she can get the 2+ blocks to the main road, buses run all day and it's 2 minutes into the heart of the village. Or a 5-minute walk. She has a routine and knows every place to pause, sit and visit. She did have some knee issues but finally got injections and they seem to be helping.

Been thinking about our indoor walking for inclement weather. You know... the walk during commercials thing. Not sure how to put it out there but would be fun to have a "Commercial Cruisers" option. Tips, successes, challenges for the indoor walker. I found that yesterday, I did almost as many steps indoors as I had done with my outdoor walk the previous day. The free phone apps make it easy and fun. I don't feel driven... just reminds me to move whatever that might mean that day.

After two good nights/days last night was back to some muscle spasms on the back of my surgery leg from butt to thigh. I feel blessed after reading Josephine's stories, but it's a reminder of how little control we sometimes have. I suspect things will get better when I can skip the narcotics, get back off the iron tablets and skip all and their side-effects. I know my mom has dealt with this problem for years so am being as proactive as I can be.

Oh @oregonlass , yes oh yes, the double attached garage ( moans).

I have a step counter on my phone, but it has only wanted to count about half the steps I walk with crutches. So I downloaded the pacer app you mentioned. This morning, I walked for about 5 minutes indoors and the phone and the pacer were in perfect agreement. Alas, what they agreed on was that I had done exactly 3 steps. I will try the other app you mentioned, but I suspect the problem is having the phone in a pocket of my top. If I put it in my trousers pocket I am sure to forget it and lose it down the loo. What I am doing instead to motivate me for some indoor walks is putting music on, and seeing how many tracks I can continue for. I kept going for 7 tracks of Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf, that’s 38 minutes.

I’m making progress regaining independence. I have been a bit lax. H is very helpful (and probably over protective since my first attempt to make my own breakfast resulted in us spending the day at A&E). And it is easy to ask him for help and slow and frustrating to do things myself, but I think it is good for both of us if I try. So today I persuaded him to hang back.

Today, Day 22, I:

Had a sponge wash (still not game to shower without H standing by, so only shower every second day).

Got clean clothes out of drawers and dressed myself completely. I think this is actually a first. It must have taken 5 minutes to get the operated leg into the uncooperative trouser leg, and so tempting to call for help, but I persevered.

Made breakfast for myself and got to eat it this time.

Put fruit and veg that H bought yesterday away, rearranging the fridge to fit it all in.

Washed up the nondishwashable items from last night, dried and put away.

Made lunch for myself. I’ve done that before, but lunch has consisted of nuts, fruit, tinned tuna, whatever I could put in a bag hanging round my neck. Now I can inch around with only one crutch, I can carry a plate to the table. I cooked corn on cob, with butter and pepper, carrots and houmus and tomatoes. Such a business, get corn from fridge, wash corn, microwave it, get knife from drawer, carrots and butter from fridge, pepper from shelf, assemble and clear up, when you have to juggle a crutch, takes forever!

Loaded a few things in dishwasher, got tablet out of cupboard and into the receptacle, closed door and set it going.

Looked for, and found! that pair of shoes I knew I had somewhere that fasten with Velcro not laces.

Got my coat and shoes, both crutches, reacher and a chair to the garden door. That was a feat of logistics! The chair can be used like a walker but needs both hands, so the crutches have to both come to door, take one to chair ....etc etc.

Put on shoes, another first. Used reacher to close Velcro, fail on the left so gave in and H helped, but almost did it!

Got out of door without anyone holding it.

Walked up the back garden on narrow curving path, climbed 2 steps onto the deck, and down again, first steps! First time seeing this part of my garden for 3 weeks, all plants healthy, though of course there were little jobs I yearned to do. Soon!

Made myself cups of tea and coffee, refilled water bottles, swapped ice packs.

All interspersed with walks and rests and ice.

I have generously allowed H to make dinner.

Exhausted! How on earth do hippies cope who live alone?

GREAT GOING!!!!! So proud of you! 38 minutes is a lot.

The collapsable 2 wheeled walker had no place to set anything, but the rolling one has a little fold down seat you can actually sit on. That makes it easy to get tidbits from kitchen to "my chair" and back again.
I do find more accurate reading in my pants pocket, but not bad in the pouch pocket of my hoodie top. Time for me to get out in that sunshine. You have inspired me!!

I thought I was young for a THR at 64. And then I was amazed all over again at what pert bottoms are displayed on the scar thread. Well I shall rebalance that!
:rotfl:
Glad to see your sense of humor is in tact
Everything does seem like it takes exhausting effort these early days.:thud:
You are doing beautifully.:yes:

"7 tracks of Bat Out Of Hell" :rotfl:
Boy...that takes me back. Paradise By The Dashboard Light. Always found the writing clever with the ball player running bases on the radio in the background as he was trying to do the same in the car :heehee:
Still like when I hear it, reminds me of the good old days :)

Made breakfast for myself and got to eat it this time.

I'd say that's an accomplishment after your first try!

You did a lot today. You're making great progress. I can see why you're feeling exhausted. I hope you're having a peaceful relaxing evening.
@Klassy

Day 23: I had my first appointment with physio. She is with the private hospital, but works on the follow up so I hadn’t met her before. She is really nice. She watched me walk with 2 crutches and 1 and said I was doing well, could go with 1 all the time indoors. I have been doing much more using 1, but I’m going to stick with 2 for long walks for another day or so till I feel totally confident. I explained about the stairs at home, she said it wouldn’t be a problem leaving stairclimbing from a physical point of view, but from the psychological angle she liked my plan to go practise on some easier stairs so I didn’t develop anxiety about it. She then took me to the hospital stairs and we did a flight up and back with no trouble at all, but with her keeping below me on the descent, which shows she understands my psychology well. So that was reassuring. She also seemed agreeably surprised that I was down to just paracetamol for pain relief. I didn’t let on that I had only taken 2 a day for last couple of days.

Of course then she got to, have I been doing the exercises. I said, truthfully, that I had been, but had stopped. Why? I said because they were causing some pain, which actually wasn’t true. Then of course she told me how important they were, and to take some paracetamol beforehand to “ take edge off pain”.

I find myself conflicted now. On the one hand I hear the Bonesmart wisdom. On the other hand, she stressed that the first 6 weeks were vital for retraining the nerves/ neural pathways which have been disrupted. I recall that the consultant said the same thing. And when she put me to demonstrate the exercises, I could tell myself how much I had lost strength/rom with side raise ( abductor) compared not just to pre op, but to how I was post op before I stopped exercises, which did alarm me. And I believe what she said, that walking isn’t training the abductor.

Here are the exercises she wants:
3 sets a day, 10 reps each of
Rise on toes
March on spot
Raise operated leg to side and hold for 5, raise good leg to side but don’t hold
Shallow squats, trying to put more weight on operated leg to the point eventually where I can tap with good foot
1 rep only, stand on operated leg for 10 seconds.

I’ve put my faith in the consultant and the hospital, on the basis of their good track record, so I feel I should listen to them on this.

So I’m going to give it a go. I’ll build up gently, with less rom than my limit to start with and fewer reps and sets as necessary to keep pain at bay. I’m not going to up the painkillers beforehand. She wanted me to come back in 10 days and I’ve booked to see her in 14 days, so I have extra time to ease into it. If it hurts, I’ll stop.

So I’m going to give it a go. I’ll build up gently, with less rom than my limit to start with and fewer reps and sets as necessary to keep pain at bay. I’m not going to up the painkillers beforehand. She wanted me to come back in 10 days and I’ve booked to see her in 14 days, so I have extra time to ease into it. If it hurts, I’ll stop.

It's a personal choice and I think you're going in with the right attitude. I wish you the best. Stay in touch and let us know how it works for you.
@Klassy

Day 24. Two good things to report:
1. Consultant returned from holiday and replied to my question about Teds. I can stop wearing them if legs not swollen. I don’t exactly remember what my legs looked like when I last saw them, but I think they are ok, so they’ve been released from prison. They still feel weird. And scaly dry. Kind H has rubbed in buckets of moisturiser, which has helped.
2. I got to sit in my office chair and use a real computer at a real desk. This required shuffling round the end of the bed, and H didn’t think it could be done, but I managed it! I was getting very frustrated trying to do admin stuff on a laptop.

I did one set of exercises but stopped at 7 reps when I felt a twinge. Ice and elevation and feels fine.

The soundtrack for today’s indoor walk (33 minutes) was provided by Joe Cocker, and included “I get by with a little help from my friends”, most appropriate!

Love it! In the early days I would put headphones on, listen to a 30 minute play and walk up and down between kitchen and conservatory walking and doing some exercises. Indoor exercise worked for me!

Yay for getting shed of the TEDS!
:happydance:
I did one set of exercises but stopped at 7 reps when I felt a twinge. Ice and elevation and feels fine
That's the way to do it.
YOU know how much is enough...good for you to know when to just say "that's enough"

The soundtrack for today’s indoor walk (33 minutes) was provided by Joe Cocker, and included “I get by with a little help from my friends”, most appropriate!
We are cheering you on!:friends:

Ditching those TEDS is a victory in itself. Nasty little necessity that they are.
You're doing great, Klassy. Keep it going!
Happy Weekend to you!
@Klassy

Hope it is going well. Nice cold sunny day here so about to go for my walk!

Thanks @SurreyGirl . I didn’t manage to make it outside today, which was a waste of a sunny day. On the other hand, I did enjoy seeing the sunshine on the garden, and the ice I could see on the birdbath told me I wasn’t missing too much! Well done for going for your walk despite the cold.

Day 25 brought another first: I showered all by myself while H had a lie in. This may not sound much, but I had to start by manoeuvring the shower seat out of the shower cubicle and down the corridor (the seat isn’t useful but has taken up residence in the shower). And finish by mopping dry the corridor and kitchen floor because the crutches which I had taken in the shower with me had filled up with water. And in between was full of anxious balancing and shuffling. I was so exhausted by the end that I had to lie down and rest, even with wet hair. So although I proved it could be done, I won’t try again till I’ve regained more stability.

I also spent too much time sitting at my computer, but I did finish a major task. I did some indoor walking to ease the stiffness and had another good lie down with ice and I think I’ve escaped ODIC.

On the lighter side, here’s what my recent meals have been:
Dinner yesterday- Liver and mash with Brussels sprouts. Followed by prunes for dessert.
Breakfast- Wholemeal crumpets with Vegemite (for Uk readers, Vegemite is like Marmite only nicer ;-) For US readers, it’s a black salty spread from Australia that is probably like nothing you can imagine!)

These are just the things I happened to want to eat, but when I noticed what I had chosen I was amused to think how revolted a lot of people would be - it’s all the foods most people hate.

And finish by mopping dry the corridor and kitchen floor because the crutches which I had taken in the shower with me had filled up with water

I'm sorry but this made me laugh:heehee: The same happened to me the first two showers because I took the walker in with me. After hubs had to wipe up the floor from my draining walker twice he convinced me I didn't need it in the shower with me. Wonder why? :shrug: I clearly wasn't as brave as you though, attempting it on your own. At least you know you can do it and it was a big accomplishment! You deserve a rest after all that activity.

Your menu choices gagged me :rotfl: Liver, Prunes, Vegemite :eeeuw:
Brussels Sprouts and Mashed Potatoes sounds good. Crumpets :what: don't know what that is, I'll need to look it up.

I hope something better is on the menu for the weekend, lol.
Wishing you a good one!
@Klassy

I’m glad it made you laugh @Layla, also pleased to know I’m not the only one it happened to!

I can’t imagine a world without crumpets. The ultimate comfort food. I was so happy when we found a source of wholemeal ones at ASDA. I think the nearest American equivalent would be English muffins (which aren’t English as far as I know, but you can get them here). But crumpets are much nicer.

Hmm, I do like an English Muffin once in awhile. So I'm sure I'd like Crumpets. I still want to try the Clotted
Cream member's from across the pond have mentioned. But Vegemite....no, No, NO! :wink:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562