THR Diary of my journey to happy times

All normal..including all the flip flopping emotions and frustrations.
You are doing fine.
All temporary, @Klassy
Just roll with it for a bit.
Don't worry about the exercises...you can work on stuff later.
Just chill:ice:

Sending healing hugs your way:console2:

Thanks for encouraging words.

Well I was feeling pretty good at the end of Day 9. Then came Night 9. Probably my worst so far. I was hit with Restless Legs. Now this proves that I am a wimp, because I read on here that other THRs have them, and it is even a Syndrome that some poor folk have long term. And they live with it. I found it nigh on unbearable. It came on at 1am when I put a fresh ice brick near my op site and it was clearly too cold (was wrapped in towel but towel slipped). My thigh jerked, twitched, then things just wouldn’t settle. Good leg joined in the party. It went on for hours. I was clinging to the edge of control reciting to myself “This too shall pass” and watching the minutes crawl by on the clock as I willed time on to work its magic. Sometimes the time jumped a few minutes and I knew I had slept, but then the thrashing was back with a vengeance. My head began to ache and that worried me, because I had taken 2 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen at 12.15 so I had no painkillers to fall back on (the ibuprofen had run out which is why I only took 1). The codeine were in the drawer but I am determined not to take them unless in severe pain for fear of constipation. Plus I wasn’t sure I could manage opening the drawer and really didn’t want to wake H who needed a good nights sleep himself. I kept drinking water in case I was dehydrated by all the turbulence in my innards, but checked and my urine was crystal clear and I began to worry about water overdose (first symptom is headache, great!). You can tell I’m a worrier. The least symptom and I think it’s fatal.

I searched this wonderful forum for tips. Tonic water, fine, we always keep bottles in stock. Search usual storage places with great difficulty, remember the G&T session a few weeks ago....sigh. Even if I had the heart to send H out, there are no 24hour places around here.

By about 6.30 am the restlessness seemed to ease off, I realised that I could hit the paracetamol again, the headache, probably caused by sleep deprivation, dwindled and I slipped away for over 2 hours of glorious sleep.

Feeling quite good now, mid afternoon. H fetched me tonic water. I thought about getting magnesium too, but after the rebound effect of my previous recourse to artificial stimulants ( cured the constipation, 2 days of diarrhoea) I am wary of putting any new ingredients into my system. It seems like all the foods I like are good sources so I’ll just tweak the diet a bit. Can of tuna and some Brazil nuts for lunch, sorted!

I’m taking it very easy today. I think my legs got quite enough exercise by themselves!

Not a fun night for you! But sounds like things have eased. Hope you can get some rest tonight.

I am so fed up with trying to sleep on my back! Night 10, thankfully no return of the restless legs, but I couldn’t get to sleep. Eventually I slept for a few broken hours, and woke up with my toes still dutifully pointed at the ceiling, my nose pointed at the righthand wall, and a very stiff neck.

Day 11, it’s a miracle, I walked without aids!

Didn’t mean to! I woke up in a really grumpy mood. Not enough sleep, stiff all over. I had niggling pain in back of hip, about 2, and it was only 3 hours since 2 paracetamol. I didn’t want to take the codeine because of constipation, or the ibuprofen after reading the linked article here that it might impair bonding of my implant to bone, so knew I just had to put up with it for the next hour. And I realised I had forgotten my self injection yesterday, so figured I had to do it right away, without even a freshen up or breakfast. I went off to bathroom to wash my hands while having a good grumble to H, dried my hands and walked back in to the room still whinging away. H’s jaw dropped and I discovered I had left the crutches in the bathroom! Like one of those cartoon characters who keeps running over the edge of a cliff and then notices they are over thin air, I lost the ability to walk at that point, but was able to stand and wait for H to get crutches.

I am much encouraged, though I will pay more attention in future before setting off.

This is exactly what happens. When you start leaving any walking aid behind you know your ready to transition. Have you tried using just one crutch? So much easier as you can carry something in the free hand. If it doesn't feel right - go back to using 2 and try again another day.

Thanks @Jaycey, will try if feeling strong tomorrow. Which crutch do I use, on operated side or good side?

Night 11. Yesterday I had a wonderful early Xmas present: I managed to get a message to my consultant before he went on his hols, that I was struggling with sleeping on my back and jabbing my tummy, and a message came back that I could sleep on side (either side , pillow between legs if non-op side), and take aspirin instead of injections. Oh so happy!

Alas, after googling on how to arrange self and pillow and H helping me manoeuvre carefully into position, my neck and back felt wonderful but my hip was sore. I lay there and the pain went from 2, to 3, to 4, to 5 and I called off the attempt. Once I was flat on my back the pain went to zero almost immediately. So clearly not ready for that. I did however manage to shape pillows so nose remained pointing to ceiling. I will try lying on the operated side for next attempt, but I’m not sure I’m ready to try yet. It seems instinctively wrong to lie on new scar tissue.

I again couldn’t get to sleep so gave in and took 2 codeine, preloading with some prunes and dried figs and a dose of lactulose. Even then it took an hour to get to sleep and I only mustered about 5 hours in total. But on the plus side, the pain control was better and I could take paracetamol on waking.

And then I had the best breakfast ever, the special ingredient being 150mg aspirin

Alas, after googling on how to arrange self and pillow and H helping me manoeuvre carefully into position, my neck and back felt wonderful but my hip was sore.
Just keep trying - it will ease. I would not try the op side yet. Still very early days for you and I am certain that incision will be sore.

Try taking your pain meds before you turn in for the night. Part of what is keeping you from sleeping is post op pain. At only 11 days out you do need medication.

Thanks @Jaycey. I had taken 2 paracetamol, and given them time to work, so I was a bit shocked when the pain went up to a 5. I suppose I could try it after codeine which are stronger. But if it hurts, isn’t that a message from my body not to do it?

But if it hurts, isn’t that a message from my body not to do it?
Yes, but just sleeping on your side isn't doing anything excessive. It's important at this stage to stay ahead of the pain so that you can increase your mobility.

I could not sleep on my non-op side until about 4 weeks out from RTHR. Then it was only in 20-30 minute sessions.

Day 12 was a nice day actually! I’ve been browsing other threads and I think it was @1stSurgery who compared this stage of recovery to living the life of a cat. So apt! Delicious meals on demand, nothing to do but lie around with a bit of grooming and stretching and an occasional stroll round my territory. I even sit and watch the birds through the window, though I don’t do that peculiar feline thing of whickering at them. Yet.

Yesterday was my first venture into the garden, just once up and back our very short path. Today I went a little bit further into the part that was catching the sun, which required walking on compacted gravel, and that went well. I stood there just soaking up the rays, trying to boost my vitamin D, which is probably very optimistic given the wintry sun and the fact that only my hands and face were exposed. But I could feel the tiniest bit of sun warmth and the fresh air was so nice. And I only realise now as I type that I was in fact saluting the winter solstice! (Give or take a day). From now on the days will be getting longer, as I get stronger. So plenty to celebrate today.

Layla famously recommends to measure improvement on the weekends, as opposed to daily and it becomes more obvious.

Side sleeping will come, as you discovered...when your body says it's ready...:sigh:
It was quite a while before it was comfortable for me even after I was "allowed":umm:

All temporary and well worth this recovery business!
Wishing you a healing happy holiday!:gbh:

Night 12 was a little better than Night 11. My medication is now 8 paracetamol plus 2 codeine at night. There has been some gurgling going on as the dried fruits do battle with the codeine. I’m pleased to say that this morning’s outcome was a draw.

Thanks @Mojo333 and @Jaycey. Yes Layla is wise. Weekend wise the turnaround has been huge!

Last edited:
Day 13 was another pleasant day. I’m taking things very easy. I went out for that little walk up the garden, no sun today but at least it was mild and between rain showers. I thought about doing 2 trips because yesterday I did one, but then I thought, why push it. I don’t have to achieve something new every day.

I’m walking a bit more inside, but I’ve dropped back to just 2 sets of exercises from the 3 to 5 I was told to do. I’m taking in the Bonesmart philosophy! And the 2 sets I do are gentle loosening up,not pushing myself. I am staying with 2 crutches for now but trying to walk smoothly and not put my weight on the crutches.

I do feel the leg discrepancy is increasing though. Today it felt like half or three quarters of an inch. But I trust the surgeon who said this would only be a perception, and will pass. It does make it hard to walk smoothly though, I have a sort of up-and-over sensation. Is that normal?

This afternoon I had a lovely 90 minute nap. I had stopped myself from napping the last 2 days to try to sleep better at night, but it didn’t work. So I will take sleep when it comes and not go chasing it. I don’t have to go to work, so I don’t need to be ruled by the clock.

Wow! Good recovery story! You're about 2 days ahead of me, so great to see you doing so well!!!

It does make it hard to walk smoothly though, I have a sort of up-and-over sensation.
Same for me first time out. It was quite the illusion, and hard to shake - then I found out the surgeon had made the new hip the "correct" length rather than matching the other hip, so I really was about an inch longer on one side. Good fun!

Two days ahead chronologically @Bone-obo , but you astound me how much get up to. I haven’t even left the house yet. I see that we are alike on the insomnia though. I’m not fighting it tonight, so your message is a nice little boost to read at 4am UK time. Thank you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back