THR Diary of my journey to happy times

OP
OP
Klassy

Klassy

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @Boofit . Thank you for paying attention! It’s those little interactions that brighten my day.

Yes we did get the quarter, and I was very pleased by this as an important milestone. Also, although it was a simple method for me (ideal as a return to longer ringing after more than 6 months break) it was a first in method for a less experienced ringer, and it was very nice to help him to this achievement. He is over 80, so good to see someone still progressing, makes me feel there are many years ahead!!

My husband seems mostly ok, complains of fatigue but has nonetheless made major inroads into the mowing of our large and very overgrown garden. I am coughing and tired but carrying on. We both tested clear on Sunday. We didn’t really need to test but wanted to make sure ahead of going for supper with some vulnerable people. We were talking with others last night about their experiences of Covid, and it seemed common for it to take a month to recover fully. That is encouraging, I don’t mind so much having it for a month, I just don’t want these lingering symptoms to be long Covid and hang around forever.

I have been feeling low lately. I don’t know if am just being a misery guts, or whether it is the Covid, depression being a symptom for some. I am discouraged particularly at the moment because we had to put off a tradesman who should have come last week, to avoid giving him the virus. Now he is busy and then on hols, so our job is pushed back to end July. That holds up the next job, hopefully final job, which is the landscaping, including fencing. That holds up the day when I can finally get my long awaited puppy (I want to have a peaceful secure environment to bring the pup home to). I am seriously worrying that I am too old for a puppy now, and should get an older dog, but it is hard to let go of a dream. It just feels that my life has been on hold for soooo long, waiting during two hips and a huge renovation project that just keeps dragging on. And the world outside is so sad I can’t bear to think about it.

Oh woe, woe, woe is meeee! A little pity party here! Sorry guys.

Back to the important things. Hip 2 is now 6 months old, and is truly perfect. Walking just feels normal. Stairs are mostly alternating, and if not (we visited a different tower to ring yesterday, and the stairs were unbelievable, the steepest I have ever seen!), the recently operated leg is the good leg. The only thing that tells me that the right side was operated on is a fading scar and a slight feeling like mild sunburn around the scar. I remember from Hip 1 that I had this feeling over months 6 to 12, presumably as the nerves woke up. So I shall get out of my chair now and dance a little jig of celebration. That is sure to cheer me up!

Zoebichon

Country
United States United States
I can’t wait to see a photo of your new puppy!

OP
OP
Klassy

Klassy

graduate
Country
I will post a pic I promise @Zoebichon! Though it will be a few more months at least, by which time you will be racing out and about with your new hips and may not be checking in any more on the forum!

I have dug myself out of my recent low mood by joining “BorrowMyDoggy”, a website which connects dog owners willing to share their dogs with non dog owners keen to have a little dogginess in their life. Apart from being fun in itself, it is a way to test my readiness for a dog before taking the big step, and I can try out some different breeds, meet new people and maybe get tips for my future pup such as recommendations for groomers etc. I have my first meeting with a prospective dog lender and her cute terrier cross Angus tomorrow. Wish me luck! I am looking forward to it, though also nervous- it feels like a blind date! Will Angus and I click? I will report back.

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hahaha! I love it, Klassy. The Borrow My Doggy date that is. What a great idea!
You better wear a nice outfit for your date with, Angus, and be on your best behavior.
Report back…I can’t wait :dogwalk:
@Klassy

Snoopy55

senior
Country
Omg so so excited for your date! I am sorry about you being down though. Don’t worry about being a long hauler. I’m sure you will be fine! i Don’t know many people who have been triple vaccinated and been long haulers. Having work done is so tedious and annoying so I totally get that. Please let us know about the puppy date!

hhhooray

Country
Very neat Klassy! I'm not much of a dog person, however I do "borrow" my youngest son's dog from time to time.

Have fun on the date!

OP
OP
Klassy

Klassy

graduate
Country
I am back from my doggy blind date. It was not so dissimilar to many human blind dates I had during my wilderness years before I struck lucky and met my husband: my date was quite good looking but very uninterested in me! Obviously I don’t smell nearly as interesting as the passing dogs and other odours out there. Perhaps next time I should skip my morning shower.

I walked beside his owner as she walked him on an extending lead in our local woods. He can’t be trusted to return so must stay on lead, which is fine by me. He was well behaved in meeting other dogs and didn’t try to chase squirrels etc. So I would feel confident taking him out, and we have another date next week. His owner hadn’t used the BorrowMyDoggy site before and seemed very vague about what she was hoping for. I had used it 3 years ago where we used to live, soon after recovery from Hip 1. I was one of a tag team of borrowers then helping out an old lady who could barely walk so really needed the help with her dog, the lovely Max.

This owner is retired and mobile and takes Angus out for two 45 minute walks a day. She said she had signed up to the site because she thought maybe he would like more walks. Angus is 8, short-legged, a bit stout, and moves at just the right pace for where I am at the moment, ie sedately, with plenty of pauses. But we did clock up about 5000 of my steps, which seemed quite a lot for a small dog no longer in the first flush of youth. I am not experienced with dogs, but I had a secret feeling that the little fella was looking a bit tired already on his second walk of the day, so rather than an extra daily outing I offered to take him on one of the mornings each week instead of the owner. So that’s agreed and we’ll see how it goes.

Country
Klassy,
That's great, what a novel idea.
I've been at rescue kennel last two days, those darn dogs tug at my heart strings every time I go.
I want all of them! LOL!
I'm 70 and wouldn't attempt a puppy but 3-4 year old dog would be fine.
Hope that fatigue fades, lousy feeling for sure.

OP
OP
Klassy

Klassy

graduate
Country
Today I had my 6 month-ish, second and final, follow-up with OS, after a first follow-up at 10 weeks. Different private hospital company from Hip1, where I was signed off by the surgeon after one follow-up at 6 weeks, although physio appointments continued longer.

The appointment went, and I am not exaggerating:

Me, to desk person: Greetings, name, date of birth, yes I am paying for myself.
Desk person: Umm, let’s see, did you have a procedure?
Me, silently considering and then rejecting the answer “I was asleep at the time, but as I understand it, someone cut my leg open, dislocated it, cut off bits of bone, rammed some metal bits in there and sewed me up, is that called a procedure?”: Umm, I had a new hip?
Her: Oh right, have a seat in the waiting room.
Time passes. Surgeon calls me in to his office.
Mutual greetings.
Him: How is the hip?
Me, with enthusiasm: Great!
Him: Good, I am discharging you.
Me (who had put on my best underwear just in case): You don’t need to check anything?
Him: No, I saw the way you walked in. Just tell the staff at the main desk on your way out to discharge you.
Me, at main desk: Hi, I have been told let you know that I am discharged.
Desk person: Oh we don’t need to know. Have a nice day.

I drove 40 miles, spent over an hour in the waiting room because I had allowed for the usual traffic jam which happened not to happen today, drove back another 40 miles, this time with traffic jam, all for this 30 second exchange. Back at home, I reported with some disgruntlement to my husband, who quite rightly observed that it was far better to spend the time (and fuel!) to attend an appointment I didn’t need, than to need one! But still …

I did actually pad the appointment out by another 60 seconds or so to ask if there were any activities to avoid. OS replied that the one position to avoid was the ankle-on-opposite-knee. I seem to remember that the physiotherapist from Hip 1 had me doing this as a stretch, and it is how I put my socks on. But I guess I had better stop doing that. The surgeon has seen my joint and knows how it is put together, after all. He said that dislocation risk is high for the first 6 months. It is lower after that but never goes away- he has seen people come in with dislocations after 5 or 6 years.

I kind of wish I hadn’t been told that, because I want to get on with life and forget that I ever had my hips replaced. But then I think that I had a few instances of turning over my ankles really, really badly. I can remember doing it at age 11, 12, 16, 31, 40 ish (screaming in agony tends to fix the circumstances in my memory). I read somewhere the saying “Once a sprain, always a strain”. Because the damaged ligaments never quite fit back. Or maybe because there is some structural weakness in my body that makes me likely to turn an ankle. Anyway, I have now avoided it happening again for over 20 years, by a little extra caution that is now unconscious. So I guess I can take a bit of extra care with my lovely new hips without it putting a damper on my delight in them.

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello and Happy Monday, Klassy!
That’s crazy and does feel like a big waste of your time, but I do like the point hubby made that it was far better to spend the time (and fuel!) to attend an appointment you didn’t need, than to need one.
ask if there were any activities to avoid. OS replied that the one position to avoid was the ankle-on-opposite-knee. I seem to remember that the physiotherapist from Hip 1 had me doing this as a stretch, and it is how I put my socks on. But I guess I had better stop doing that. The surgeon has seen my joint and knows how it is put together, after all. He said that dislocation risk is high for the first 6 months. It is lower after that but never goes away- he has seen people come in with dislocations after 5 or 6 years.
I was told to do this at my one year post op…by the OS! I have a few times, but in all honesty, I’ve never been comfortable with that movement and after reading this will certainly avoid it now even at five years post op.

Glad all is well even though it took much time and effort for that professional confirmation.
Have a great week!
@Klassy

Snoopy55

senior
Country
Me, to desk person: Greetings, name, date of birth, yes I am paying for myself.
Desk person: Umm, let’s see, did you have a procedure?
Me, silently considering and then rejecting the answer “I was asleep at the time, but as I understand it, someone cut my leg open, dislocated it, cut off bits of bone, rammed some metal bits in there and sewed me up, is that called a procedure?”: Umm, I had a new hip?
Her: Oh right, have a seat in the waiting room.
Time passes. Surgeon calls me in to his office.
Mutual greetings.
Him: How is the hip?
Me, with enthusiasm: Great!
Him: Good, I am discharging you.
Me (who had put on my best underwear just in case): You don’t need to check anything?
Him: No, I saw the way you walked in. Just tell the staff at the main desk on your way out to discharge you.
Me, at main desk: Hi, I have been told let you know that I am discharged.
Desk person: Oh we don’t need to know. Have a nice day.
Absolutely hilarious!! I read it to my husband and we were both laughing out loud. You need to write! or go to Hollywood and start a sitcom:) You are a riot. I am so glad your doggy date went well. I actually looked up the website but they don't have them here in the states. But my neighbor has a puppy and we said we would walk her and my nieghbor was supper happy. Happy six month anniversary @Klassy

benne68

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
And I know you were deeply disappointed as you asked! :heehee:

Love your story. And congrats on being discharged -- even if the front desk didn't care, we're happy to know!

Boofit

Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
Absolutely hilarious!! I read it to my husband and we were both laughing out loud. You need to write! or go to Hollywood and start a sitcom:)
I share the feeling @Snoopy55 ! I am having insomnia in Hong Kong now and as I read Klassy's post I felt some loosening of my tightened mood.

That is also why I have read this thread twice since finding this site months ago. Thank you @Klassy

Doglover7

Country
You forgot the part
Desk Person: oh also that will be 135.00 post op visit charge. Have a nice day

Oh you are getting a ....
ME: SCREAMING :dogwalk: puppppeeeezzzzeee.

djklaugh

Staff member since December 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Klassy Oh for heavens sakes! One would think that receptionist would have had better training and that communication between staff at a surgeon's office would be much better than what you describe! And that surgeon would spend a bit more time admiring his work and enthusing with his patient about a very successful outcome! :oyvey:

"ask if there were any activities to avoid. OS replied that the one position to avoid was the ankle-on-opposite-knee. " Ummmm that rather surprises me. Following my BTHR I spent months with the PT gals getting first left foot onto right knee and then right foot onto left knee. Given that that is one of the natural movements hips are designed to do why would an artificial hip not be able to do that? Oh well

Boofit

Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
I was told to do this at my one year post op…by the OS!
@Layla the ankle on opposite knee position is an effective stretch for piriformis syndrome, and PTs teach patients to do this to relieve sciatica/back pain.

I believe patients are told to avoid certain positions/placements of the leg depending on the type of approach for their THR because there are different angles the leg is placed when the hip joint is being dislocated for the procedure and during the surgery different parts of the joint capsule may be excised/preserved.

That is probably why some patients have some types of restrictions and others do not. The restrictions are imposed by the OS because he/she should be able to say what is an insecure position for the operated hip and what positions would place the (weakened) hip in a position where dislocation is more likely after surgery.
It is always best to be careful:yes!: because dislocation is one of the most concerning complication!

OP
OP
Klassy

Klassy

graduate
Country
@djklaugh It surprised me too. And it is one of my favourite stretches. But better safe than sorry.

Having decided to avoid the movement, I then came home, sat down to take my shoes off, and … well, you can guess! It’s going to take a while to retrain this old brain.

@Boofit , you have read this thread twice?!!! My sympathies that your insomnia is that bad! Wishing you a good night’s sleep for your next night.

Boofit

Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
@Boofit , you have read this thread twice?!!! My sympathies that your insomnia is that bad! Wishing you a good night’s sleep for your next night.
Yes @Klassy , your thread has kept me entertained both before my surgery and during my recovery!
Yours was one of the first I read when I found this forum. And after my surgery, I went back to it to read it in greater detail.

I like the way you record your progress, how it interacts with one's daily life and surroundings, and I also like the way you express your emotions. Your words create visuals for your readers and you use straightforward language that both engages and entertains.

I feel an emotional connection when reading some of your posts, and some of your encounters come alive in the way you recount them. For example where you describe :
  • your photos rebalancing pert bottoms;
  • your exercise regime at the furniture stores;
  • your husband spilling his box of screws all over the place when he was fixing legs on your chair;
  • and (what I really really found hilarious) is your online order of 1 brussel sprout.
Some of your posts are really more gripping than reading Lee Child!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom