Bilateral THR Diary of a bilateral THR Spring 2019

Just thought I'd update on the progress since last posting

March 26 Day 35

Just thought I'd update on the progress since last posting for those who've had bilaterals

March 26 Day 35
Physio did more pressure point massage on the day before and gave me the confidence to walk some steps without double crutches. Felt VERY weird and shaky and definitely weak on the rhs which is where have been getting lots of issues a described earlier BUT with her hints and tips managed to correct my posture and walked with more confidence and equal balance. End of Week 5.

March 27/28/28/30/31 Day 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40 Building confidence around the house to walk more and more frequently WITHOUT crutches. Have to consciously think about not limping. Still walking outside for a 1 hour stretch with double crutches slight uphill and downhills which I think is really good for all muscles and am trying to put less pressure on the arm and hand rests. Am now able bend down a little further without breaking 90 deg rule. Going up and downstairs is still an issue with lots of crutch and bannister support (I look like an old woman doing this). Compression stockings came off on the 27th during the day and finally on the 31st took them off at night. What a relief. Also came off the blood thinners on the 29th which means if I now need them I can take some anti inflammatories. However, still on paracetamol 2 x 4 times daily which generally manages pain OK. Forgot one p.m. and boy did I know it later. Back sleeping still a literal pain in the butt.

April 1st Day 41 Saw my physio today who said she felt I had made a big step forward in the week - overall posture better and putting more weight bearing on my right hand side. She did more massage - tight glutes and quads particularly on right side and also muscles running down thigh and into right knee. Both scars are looking good with no redness.

Now, here's the thing. I am still very swollen around my right knee and about 4 inches above it - 1.5 inches bigger than the left. PLUS both hips have become like wearing saddlebags which I really hope is swelling and not weight gain (think I'm OK on the scales). I look very odd to me in that suddenly have become very 'hippy' which I was definitely not like this before. So, question, is this level of swelling still normal after 6 weeks? I haven't worn anything but yoga style pants since the op so dread putting on normal jeans etc.

I had swelling around the hip for a few weeks and the asymmetry with just one THR looked bizarre. The swelling gradually declined.

Hi. Glad you got to ditch the TEDS and are doing well. The back sleeping is frustrating, it was for me too but it took several months before I felt comfortable or confident enough to attempt to side sleep.:sigh: It will come..
Eventually.:bored:

You didn't mention anything about your icing regimen. I do so hope you are still doing this regularly especially after your walks. Ice is a GREAT anti-inflammatory!:ice:
Still walking outside for a 1 hour stretch with double crutches slight uphill and downhills which I think is really good for all muscles and am trying to put less pressure on the arm and hand rests.
Splitting the one hour walk into two or even three with ice and elevation in between would probably be better, in my opinion. Staying on flat surfaces would also create less stress on those poor quads.
I did not purposely try to do inclines or declines...sometimes it was inevitable, but lots of healing still happening.

Going up and downstairs is still an issue with lots of crutch and bannister support (I look like an old woman doing this).
I did the same for many months. I went up and down without walking aids holding on to bannister, but hard work and I only did it a few times per day as it was necessary at work and home.

So, question, is this level of swelling still normal after 6 weeks?
I've heard others report this so yes, but I think mine was intermittent but I iced like a mad person whenever I wasn't up moving around.
Still early days!
Hope all gets better and better.:tada:

Yes I ice like crazy. I will heed your advice about breaking up the walking … hard one though as I love to push myself … yes, I know, I know! At least my swelling is even on the hips although not on the legs. Had hoped by 6 weeks that all swelling would have gone but perhaps am just being too impatient. Would like to think that if the swelling goes a few pounds might disappear but somehow I don't think so?!

Don’t forget that the prosthetics will permanently add a few pounds as they are heavier than the bone they replaced. I didn’t think about losing weight in the first 3 months as the body is in recovery mode and needs more calories than usual.

Thanks for this - for a moment I thought that would be good news but, as ever, bonesmart has done its research well! Just hope that the swelling not just goes but a few pounds with it but I suspect I'm deceiving myself?

Just hope that the swelling not just goes but a few pounds with it but I suspect I'm deceiving myself?
That swelling will indeed go and in my case I lost 2 stone without even trying. Just getting more mobile is all it takes. Still early days for you - bilateral isn't always the easy way.

I agree, exercise exercise and exercise - always worked for me in the past. Just hope the swollen saddlebags go with it!

I am sure you will be looking like a million dollars in no time and in a bikini by summer! I think Jaycey is right that just being able to increase activity after being limited for so long will help without much effort. :)

Hope so … but the days of bikinis are long gone! Would just like to get into my jeans sooner rather than later - this talk of 6 months plus is very disconcerting!

I thought it might be helpful if I shared a further update now am 7 weeks and 3 days in from my bilateral:-

April 2nd/3/4/5/6/7 Day 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 and 47. No fundamental changes to my daily routines but little (and I mean little) gains. Not seen day to day but back over a week yes. Exercising pretty much the same in terms of length i.e. about a 50+ minute walk outside in the morning and 10 mins in the p.m. but can do about 5 mins of this without double crutches. Bit scary at first and I still have them with me but kind of hold them out in front so I guess they're helping me balance. Walking around the house without crutches but need them up and downstairs. Conscious of limping though which is still a default and have to work really hard not to do this. One day this week I couldn't go out for my daily walk so went on the treadmill in our house. Walked on the incline, straight and decline for about 40 mins before starting to get pain in right glute so stopped. Am now cautiously going up and downstairs 'properly' with alternate leg albeit with crutch and holding on to handrail. Left leg still much stronger than right.,

April 8th/9/10 Day 48, 49 and 50. Saw physio Monday, more pressure point work on glutes and quads so so so tight. I haven't been able to abduct very well for years and she says the muscles etc running down my inner thighs are set like concrete so despite new hips it's going to take a LONG time to re-train these muscles. She really checks my walking and gait and has advised me to remove my insoles in my trainers (I've bought new ones which have an inbuilt support for pronation) so I was actually in danger of over correcting. Once am up and about more shall take myself off to see a podiatrist to get new insoles measured as my ones are quite old anyway. My right arch more dropped than my left.

April 11th - Day 51, Week 7.2 days. Up to London today to see my OS and have xrays. Nightmare journey there and back as 2.5 hours each way. Lower lumbar pain (old problem), glutes in right hip and sore right knee. Ouch ouch ouch. Anyway, x-rays all great and he confirmed that:-

• No sign of osteoarthritis, femur/pelvis/bones rock solid (must be 15+ years of calcium tablets)
  • Bones 'infilling' very well, x rays all good
  • My swelling is actually oedema and perfectly normal and he's seen 'a lot worse' at this stage
  • Nerve pain normal
  • Lack of abduction exactly as physio says
So all is good. He's given me the all clear on 'restrictions' i.e. can now sit on normal chairs/loos etc but to listen to my body as to what it can and can't do. Any restrictions that I feel is all about muscle and ligament repair and ability so gentle exercise/pilates etc etc. Slow and steady eddie.

Great relief.

April 12th Day 52 Today taking it slow after yesterday's car journey. But whoopee tried 'normal' chair and can sit on it now I've been the greenlight. No pain or discomfort.
My swelling is perfectly normal and actually lot less

I was doing the same as @SarahBee :heehee: Your update is great and your recovery looking very on track. I am sorry you had to endure such a long car journey though!

Thank you both - have a lovely weekend (treated myself to a hot cross bun). BTW my OS said it was NOT a good idea to try and lose any weight whilst you're recovering - I was panicking a bit about an extra pound or two. Can't use that excuse for ever though.

Great update. Thanks for sharing with us.
It sounds like you're doing very well.
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@hbl

Yes I do that but thanks for reminding me, not always easy to stay focussed!

I agree, old habits die hard. I still get sloppy on occasion and need to remind myself.
I always notice though that as I concentrate, I do walk better.
@hbl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks