THR Diamond77 on the recovery side

I’m just about 48 hours post op and the headache is nuts. Lots of pounding and throbbing. Wondering if it’s something else or if it is anesthesia related, why two days later….
I’m sorry you’re dealing with this.
Your headache could be from anesthesia. I've read headaches after spinal anethesia can last from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. You’re not the first that has complained about this. If you do an online search you’ll also find the suggestion to drink plenty of fluid and that caffeine drinks such as tea, coffee or cola are especially helpful.
I also read more than once that laying flat often brings relief and it seems you’re finding that to be true. Hang in there, hopefully it eases soon. :console2:

Well, the PA on call today gave me permission to skip my blood thinner for today and take Advil. That really seemed to help just about everything. Took that, then laid down and had a nice nap. Felt pretty well this evening. Hip feels great. No swelling or bruising. Would love to skip all of that but I know it is early yet. Thanks for all the encouragement on the headaches. I hope it’s gone for good!

Excellent news that the headache has gone, here’s hoping it stays that way and your progress continues.

Headache came back overnight. Today it just feels like my whole head and upper body is thumping with my heartbeat. Talked to my OS nurse this morning, she’s going to check back in with me later today. Apparently they can do a blood patch, taking my own blood and injecting it into the area of my spinal injection. This sounds largely unappealing for not only the physical aspects, but I honestly do not want to leave my house right now. I know some people are outside walking at this point but not me. The thought of having to go down my three small steps and get into the car…..nope. Really hoping they say this is something that will resolve with more time.

Hi @Diamond77
I am sorry you’re still dealing with the headache, it must be exhausting and obviously making it difficult to concentrate on any recovery protocol. Wondering if you spoke with the nurse again this afternoon? I certainly wish this would ease for you. :console2: I hope you can get some restorative rest this evening.

@Diamond77 sorry you're still dealing with the headaches. I know a friend's daughter in law ended up having the blood patch done because she had such excruciating headaches after her spinal for the birth of her last baby. I believe it did finally give her some relief. I know she had been at wits end before that. Hoping the headaches go away without having to do anything drastic. :console2:

Feeling pretty good today. I still have a bit of head stuff going on but it’s nothing like it was so hopefully as the week presses on I’ll be ok. I can see myself settling in to a pattern of laziness and boredom however. There’s only so much tv I can watch. I do have a couple books to read, but even those don’t sound the most entertaining. Not confident about going outside yet, especially if my husband isn’t here. Not sure about our steps. Thought about getting a crafting kit of some kind off Amazon. If anyone knows of anything fun to make let me know.

Three suggestions, one much harder than the other. The hardest one is decoupage and it does require some supplies and it gets messy due to the varnish. Amazon has some really beautiful and intricate adult level coloring books, you can buy markers and pencils on there as well. And if you have never tried needlepoint, maybe take a peek at that, I haven’t done it in ages but I always found it calming, you can get into a nice rhythm with it. Hope your headaches have abated and you will be able to get outdoors soon for a bit and enjoy Spring!

I was a bit lucky I suppose because the doctor prescribed me medication for insomnia and the hospital gave me a dose the night I stayed in the hospital. I slept like a baby, that is until around 5 AM they decided it was time to remove my catheter. Thinking back to my first week home, I mainly did laps around my living room with a walker between icing my leg and laying down

Tonight I decided I’d had enough of my wound vac. Doctor said I could remove it at day 7 or wait for batteries to die. So my husband undid it for me. Peeling away the sealed dressing was pretty intense. It was like a band aid being ripped off on steroids! But wow, the incision looks amazing. There is no bruising at all. I haven’t had any swelling either, which I’m so thankful for. He took a photo of it for me and I’ve got 33 staples. Not going to lie, I am scared of getting these removed. It’s not for a while yet, so I have plenty of time to ruminate about it! Otherwise I’m amazed at how well I’m feeling. Not taking any pain meds for my hip, although my headache is still there a bit. Took some Advil only once today for that. So glad to be done with that vac, but maybe it did what it was meant to do.

Hello @Diamond77 Yay for the wound vac coming off!
Try not to ruminate over the staples, easier said than done, especially since I didn’t have them. I can only share that I‘ve read many accounts over my almost five years here and more stories of staple removal being a non issue, rather than an issue. You seem to be doing really well and it’s great that your headache continues to fade, hopefully over the next several days it will ease completely.
Happy Thursday, I hope it’s a good one!

@Diamond77 woohoo, wound vac gone! :yay:. Sounds like you're feeling well except for that pesky headache. I've been having one the last couple of days but that's due to the crazy amount of pollen floating around.

I had stitches, seriously don't remember how many. When I went to get them taken out the nurse had me lay on non op side to take them out. For the most part it wasn't a big deal. They put steri stripes on after that and you were supposed to let them just fall off. Sometimes I think they were more annoying then the stitches. Kept catching on clothing plus they itched.

Beautiful but windy day here in Nebraska. I went outside this morning and did some very light gardening (cutting back some dead winter foliage). Then as my husband was working to set up a basketball hoop for our boys, I sat in a chair and basked in the sun. This really has been the first day this spring where we’ve actually had decent weather to get outside. Doing these things felt SO GOOD and made me realize I will soon have my life back and will be able to do the things I enjoy.

Wondering about how long it takes to develop a halfway normal gait. I know these are early, early days. But, I would love to walk without a waddle!!

:hi: @Diamond77
This really has been the first day this spring where we’ve actually had decent weather to get outside. Doing these things felt SO GOOD and made me realize I will soon have my life back and will be able to do the things I enjoy
Isn't it grand....you will have your life back and a sweet life it will be.:flwrysmile:

Wondering about how long it takes to develop a halfway normal gait. I know these are early, early days. But, I would love to walk without a waddle!!
Oh, early days indeed, but I giggled as our Nurse Emeritus, Jo's answer would be
"Now that is like asking How Long is a Piece of String?":) :-) (:

I tried after the first month to really concentrate on my heel to toe gait, but it was probably many weeks afterward with strict attention to this before I managed a "normal gait"

You will get there, friend.
Lots of Healing still happening.

I'll echo Mojo on that...concentrate on every step heel-toe, heel-toe. Go as slowly as you need. I used to practice in the house, back and forth on the porch, wherever it was smooth and level.
When you are ready to go out shopping, you can practice by using the shopping cart at the store...heel-toe, heel-toe.
In addition, part of my pt soon after the surgery was using a wobble cushion. It uses all the small muscles in the legs and helps to wake up the ones needed to support an un-waddly gait. Part of why we waddle is a balance issue, like a baby taking first steps. The wider stance helps us stay upright while we're regaining confidence. If you don't have a wobble cushion, you can use a foam pillow. Set it in a corner for support if you need it, step up with both feet and just stand there ( no hands as much as you can) for 30 seconds to a minute.
You'll get there, slow and steady :walking:

@Diamond77 You are doing so well! Glad to see your latest update and you were outside, enjoying life.
It only gets better... :loveshwr:

Hello everyone. I’m wondering if walking without a walker or cane does harm to recovery. I’m not liking the Walker because it hurts my hand. And it’s unwieldy. Not liking the cane because it doesn’t feel steady and I’m not coordinated in using it. I walked from my driveway to the end of our street which is two houses from mine. I waddled significantly the whole time. Is it bad to do that? Should I be using the devices even though I don’t like them? Hoping some of those who have blazed this trail before me can answer.

Hi D77, I'm thinking it's probably best not to be waddling as that's probably not going to help you improve your gait or strength properly. However I'd consult your Dr or PT about it. I'm sure others here have better perspectives than mine though.

I ditched the walker almost immediately except I kept it on hand for bathroom visits at night. My at home PT spent some time instructing me on proper cane use and heel toe walking but again, at this point I barely use it. I especially found it cumbersome on stairs, holding the railing gives me the stability I need and feels far better. My non expert advice is simply listen to your body but I do still take the cane outdoors just to be safe. I’m not waddling but I think PT can help correct this. Good luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back