Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Dhs hip screw and AVN

So sorry you have such a long wait for surgery! I had a 6 month wait when I was in the same condition. Get yourself a crutch and use it to take the weight off that hip. Baby it! avoid heavy lifting and pushing anything heavy.

BTW we have had many members who have had hardware removed as part of their THRs. In most cases it was a non-event.

Hi @Jaycey
That's reassuring about it being a non event! One less worry
I'm on crutches now two of them. Sadly I never got off them after the original surgery. I've got a loose body stuck in the joint which causes additional problems. Will be so glad when it's all sorted. But you are right I do need to baby it a bit more and probably not try to do as much as I do. Thanks for posting and the words of encouragement x

What a hard time of the year to feel so limited in what you are able to do, and with the constant pain. All you can do is take it one day at a time, and I know that is much easier for someone else to say, than to do yourself. I know you will get a lot of understanding and support here on the forum, so it's wonderful that you are part of it. Sometimes being able to share often, vent when needed, and know you aren't alone can make such a huge difference. Here's hoping the next few months pass quickly. And maybe knowing that you have an end in sight might alleviate some of your stress, which also can contribute to our pain. :loveshwr:

Hi @Debru4 thanks for the encouragement. It certainly has been a tough year but as you say the end is in sight now.
I am so grateful for the support and encouragement I have found here.
How do people manage to do their daily job and manage day to day tasks whilst waiting for surgery? X

@Sparkle167 can't speak for everyone else but I know those last few months I was waiting on surgery were miserable. I went to work, watching the clock for time to go home and would get home and do very little. Clean cat boxes, a couple small things around the house, maybe a load of laundry and then crawl into bed.

You get your best to keep up and learn that some things just have to wait. Try icing, try heat, I was going to the pool at the gym and water walking, then eventually just kind of floating around. Anything to try and take your mind off the pain. Oh, and hang out on Bone Smart! :snork:

Hi everyone
Really really hoping someone can help me out here.
I am due to attend my first post thr appointment with my consultant on Monday and totally panicking about going given the current pandemic and cases in the area!
I had a THR left side just over 7 weeks ago. I've had a really good recovery. 50 years old and surgery was to replace a DHS fixation after AVN occurred. Recovery is going well and I have started physio and for the first time in almost a year I am down to one crutch but can do some steps with none. How important is the follow up appointment if all seems to be going well? I have asthma and therefore isolating for 12 weeks yet the hospital has advised me to attend. I am so concerned about going to a hospital only to be told all is well. Any advice really appreciated xx

@Sparkle167 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Regarding your appointment - I can understand your concern. I am a bit surprised the hospital is still scheduling these appointments. It is important to check back with your surgeon. But if all is going well can you follow up with the surgeon's office on Monday and ask to have an online assessment? Many areas are doing this now. Just let the office know you are in the vulnerable category.

@Jaycey
Thanks for your reply I did wonder about that and what usually happened at the first follow up. His office was quite clear that they wanted me to go in with it being the first follow up appointment. It is worrying though in these difficult times.
I wondered if the reason for going in person was for x Ray's? Or if it was basically because I'd had such a bad time after the original DHS surgery with AVN etc ? If it's the latter then really no need to go as I'm doing so well to how I was before. On very little pain meds, doing physio and observing the usual precautions. I get some pain at night but I can handle than its bearable.

Thanks again seana

Yes, there is usually an x-ray done to see if there is growth around the implant. Is the appointment actually in a hospital or in another clinical area?

Ah that's why he must want me to go in. Would delaying the appointment and x ray cause any potential problems ? It's in our main hospital for the area. I did tell his office I had asthma but the answer I got was they appointment was still going ahead st the hospital as it was the first one since surgery and that a lot of appointments had been cancelled so waiting rooms wouldnt be as busy! Going from the clinic to the x ray department is a fair bit nod walking around the hospital passing more and more people and very worrying. I feel great. I am walking better and physio hopeful I'd be walking without crutches very soon. All seems to be going well but the risk of going is frankly terrifying my. Covid-19 cases increasing daily and would be much happier doing what I've being doing for a couple of weeks now and remaining at home and safe x

@Sparkle167 is there anywhere else you could get an x-ray done than the hospital? Not sure how the health care system works there but in the States we have other clinics capable of doing x-rays that I would think have much less chance of exposure that a hospital during this crisis.

@FCBayern
Thank you I wish there was but sadly no. The local walk in centre for minor injuries etc has closed down due to the pandemic. So looks like the hospital appointment is my only option.

I don't know anything about the situation in the UK. Here in the US I've had 2 friends go in the hospital recently for non Covid related problems. They said the hospitals were doing any and everything to prevent them having any exposure. Trying times for sure and anxiety is understandable. Any chance you can obtain a mask? Many here are making their own, sewing them from plans on the net.

@Eman85
Thanks for the advice. I do have dust masks from some work we have done to the house and gloves. Been talking about it alot and feel given my history I need to get this x ray done. Pain levels are nothing like I had before but there is some pain particularly at night so would be good to get it checked out.
Thanks again

Would delaying the appointment and x ray cause any potential problems ? It's in our main hospital for the area. I did tell his office I had asthma but the answer I got was they appointment was still going ahead st the hospital as it was the first one since surgery and that a lot of appointments had been cancelled so waiting rooms wouldnt be as busy!

I understand your concerns. Possibly you could phone them early tomorrow and explain the anxiety you’re experiencing due to the pandemic and ask if there is any harm in waiting several weeks since things are going really well for you. They can’t make you keep the appointment, but I also understand you’re seeking reassurance from your OS that it’s okay to wait a while longer. Prayers for your protection should you keep the appointment.
If you do, let us know how it goes.
Take care! :)

Such a hard time to be recovering from a major surgery, and having to make decisions like this. If you do opt to go for the appointment, just do your best to follow the precautions---I might even take along my own Chlorox or Lysol wipes.

I know an Xray would be reassuring, but perhaps your doctor could assess you over the phone to determine how necessary it is right now. You still are early in recovering from your surgery so some pain is very normal. Hopefully your doctor can help you determine if that appointment is truly needed right now. Let us know what you decide.

@Debru4 thanks for the advice.
Well I did attend the appointment and took all the correct procedures. Hospital was very very well organised and hardly anyone there which was a relief.

Appointment went very different to I expected as was sure I would be given an x ray as for the past 20 months every appointment has involved getting an x ray. But no x ray which is a bit worrying. Appointment was just a chat conducted 2 metres apart with a doctor I didnt recognise but who was present at the surgery. He watched me walk a few steps with one crutch and asked how I was. I mentioned having pain through the night and was advised that was normal at this stage and to take pain relief for it, which I'm doing. Overall he was happy with everything and gave me a follow up appointment for 1 years time.
Ironically last night the pain through the night was really really severe to the point I spent the majority of the night in and out of bed trying to stop the pain. Is this normal at the 8 week stage ? I did wonder if I have been doing too much? Does anyone know how much is too much at this stage?

Pain relief wise I am taking 30 mg codeine four times a day along with paracetamol. When I left the hospital 8 weeks ago I was taking 40mg of zomorph 2 times a day, paracetamol and oramorph for breakthrough pain. I had been taking zomorph since last October 30mg twice a day to manage the AVN pain and it was upped to 40mg following the surgery. Not wanting to be on Morphine and worried about addiction, under the care of my routine doctor I started tapering 3 days post surgery and switched to codeine last week. I dont know if the pain increase last night is due to over working the joint or if its connected to the change in pain meds - switched to codeine just a few days ago.
I use a Fitbit and at the moment I am averaging between 5000 and 6500 steps per day around the house and walks around the garden. The Fitbit tells me this is a total usually around 2 miles a day doing my daily day to day activities with a little walk built in. Is this too much st this stage and the cause of the pain? I use one crutch for the garden walks but around the house it's sometimes no crutch. I also do my physio exercises to build the muscle back up as he advised me I've suffered a lot of muscle atrophy. I do leg raises out to the side, then to the back, then a sort of marching in place exercise, exercises on the bed sliding leg to the side, then sliding up toward buttocks. I then finish with seated clam shells using a red band. I aim to theee sets of everything daily but dont always get them.
The pain I seem to be getting is in the ground area but also high up at the top of my buttock, almost back I suppose but only on the operated side. Any help and advice really appreciated so much.
Sorry for the huge post!!! Xx

I'm no expert but my first impression is you're probably overdoing it a bit. Two miles some of which is in the garden, which I'm going to assume is probably a bit of uneven terrain, which uses your muscles differently. And you're doing exercises on top of this and your day to day activities.

Are you doing any elevating and icing? If not recommend you elevate and ice for 45-60 minutes multiple times a day and see if this helps. Some of us even took ice packs to bed with us and used small coolers for replacements during the night. You might want to try backing off some and elevate and ice for a while to see if it helps.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom