THR Dhall's Recovery Thread

Dhall

Country
United States United States
Today is day 8 post op. I must say that the surgery was so much easier than I had anticipated. My pain has been minimal compared to before surgery. I can "feel" the post op pain but it is nothing compared to before! Let me tell you of my experience with PT. My Dr asked me to have at least a month of PT. I agreed. I had surgery on Monday went home on Tuesday, and PT on Wednesday. Not bad the first time. Took measurements, etc. On Friday, 4 days post op, I went in for my second appointment. After some very basic exercises the therapist had me lie down on my back on one of their hard, plastic tables. She was at my feet and took my right ankle and was pulling it down towards her. I said, "STOP!" She said , "NO, I have to do this to straighten out your leg." I said I did not and was not going to let her hurt me in order to "help" me. I had my husband help me off of the table. All the while she was telling me that if I left my muscles would need additional surgery to help me walk. I was SO upset! If not for this forum, I would have probably stayed and cried like a baby it had hurt me so bad. Because of you all here, I knew I had the right to stop this Physical Torture, and I did. My Dr has since told me that I do NOT need PT as long as I walk and do some very basic moving exercises. I am doing it on my own and moving just fine. So, thank you to all for your help.

Hello @Dhall - and :welome: to recovery.

I've moved your post-op posts and the responses to it and started a recovery thread for you.
please continue to write about your recovery in this thread from now on.

Well done for taking control of your PT session.

Here is your copy of the Recovery Guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

i know that you were worried before your surgery about how you were going to get on.
It sounds as if you're going to do really well.

My mother had both her knees replaced in her 80s and she recovered well.

@Dhall :wave:
So good to hear from you and now you are on the healing side with your own recovery thread. :tada:
I had a horrible PT experience very similar to yours that was extremely painful...physically and emotionally, so firstly...I'm sorry you had to deal with that early in recovery.
Kudos to you for knowing what was not helpful, and potentially hurtful!

Put it away and listen to your body, as you have been!
Hope your evening is restful and you are all iced up!
Healing hugs!:ice:

:yay:Yay for you for being courageous enough to stand up to that therapist pushing / hurting you as she did after you asked her to stop. You're already injured and your body is healing. In addition she threatens that you'll need more surgery on your muscles if you don't comply with her inflicting pain? I'd be tempted to report that entire senseless therapy session.

Thankfully your surgeon is in agreement that walking for therapy will suffice. It's sometimes difficult to stand up for ourselves to someone who's supposed to be an authority figure. Glad you weren't intimidated.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant week as you continue healing. :)
@Dhall

@Dhall I am so sorry this happened to you but so thrilled that you felt confident enough to say no.
Then to read that your surgeon agrees with the philosophy of walking combined with gentle movements, that must have been so reassuring for you.
I am glad that you are doing so well, keep on doing what you are doing, it's working!

Stopping by to say :hi: and see how your day went yesterday and today so far? Hopefully you're seeing some progress since you've been home. Slowly but surely you'll get there. I remember feeling like the weeks began clicking by after the first two. I'm sure it has to do with pain lightening and increased ease in mobility.

I hope you're resting comfortably and sleeping well.
Let us know how you're doing when you have time....until then, all the best!
@Dhall

Hi @Dhall
Just wanted to know if things are in a nice recovery lull...and if you are feeling better?
Continued healing hugs and I want to be the first to put a cute holiday emoji on your thread.
:wreath:

Stopping by to say :hi: and see how your day went yesterday and today so far? Hopefully you're seeing some progress since you've been home. Slowly but surely you'll get there. I remember feeling like the weeks began clicking by after the first two. I'm sure it has to do with pain lightening and increased ease in mobility.

I hope you're resting comfortably and sleeping well.
Let us know how you're doing when you have time....until then, all the best!
@Dhall
@Layla I am now almost 3 weeks post op. I have not had a pain pill in over two weeks! No PT, as I had a problem at first with them. I walk a lot and in fact went Christmas shopping with my husband last Monday. That was exactly 2 weeks post op. I owe my success to a great surgeon and ALL of the advice I received here on this site. Again, I thank you all.

I am now 18 days post op. No pain at all. I have not had a pain pill in 2 weeks. I realize now that all of my pain was from my arthritic hip. I blamed it on my low back! Since the THR my pain was so minimal I could not believe it. The day I was 14 days post op, I went Christmas shopping with my husband. Nothing crazy, I rode the electric cart at Wal Mart and we were there for about an hour. I am still using my walker, at the Dr's request. I do have weakness in my right leg and I am considering asking my Dr to write me a RX for lower body strengthening. I will wait until about 6 weeks for that. Aside from this, I feel wonderful. I am extremely happy that I had the surgery. I just wish I had done it sooner.

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
I realize now that all of my pain was from my arthritic hip. I blamed it on my low back!
Me too! This mistake and the doctors failure to recognize it made for two miserable years and lots of back tests and UNNECESSARY PT.
I do have weakness in my right leg and I am considering asking my Dr to write me a RX for lower body strengthening. I will wait until about 6 weeks for that
At least...you want all that soft tissue healed up and settled...start slow if you begin targeted PT
Aside from this, I feel wonderful. I am extremely happy that I had the surgery. I just wish I had done it sooner.
So very happy. Isnt it nice to rid ourselves of chronic pain and for me, be able to sleep without back pain pain:happydance:.

Thrilled to read how well you are progressing @Dhall Very wise to wait for soft tissue to heal before working on strengthening, You will know when your body is ready. Smooth, fluid motions that keep you flexible is all you need right now. Hope your holidays are bright. :carols:

Hello @Dhall
It's really nice to read how well you're doing. I think you're in good company wishing you had "done it sooner". In most cases it seems to be the anxiety and fear of the unknown that keeps us from scheduling surgery. Also, many try everything under the sun in hopes their hip will get better, but to no avail.
I think it's wise to wait until you're six weeks post op point before considering PT. You'll have to keep in touch and let us know how you progress. I hope you have a lovely Sunday and a great week!

I will definitely wait a few months before I start PT for lower body strengthening. I have walked with a cane for over 5 years, so I was weak anyway. Since I was told 5 years ago that it was NOT my hip causing the pain, I assumed it was the low back. Since the THR I have had hardly any low back pain at all. It was the hip all along. So, I will try the PT in a month or so and see it I can " beef up" my muscles in the low back. Can't hurt, might help. I wish each of you a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom