TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one I have at the Chiro is different than the one at PT. At PT, it was a tool that was smooth and used with a thick gel--just like when a pregnant woman gets an ultrasound. The therapist moves it manually over the area. The actual stimuli doesn't hurt, but for me it was the fact that I was on my stomach and my knee on the table. At the time, my scar was so sore it really hurt to lay on it, plus my leg was so sore in that spot that even a gentle massage was painful. The one at the chiro is electrodes that he sticks on my back, turns up to my tolerance, and covers with warm packs. Snooze fest for about 10 minutes!! Sometimes I am tempted to make an appt. just to have the e stim.

Are you having a good day? Tonight we are going to teach one of my daughter's friends to waterski then warm up by the fire and have S'Mores. I won't be demonstrating (the waterskiing part). Next year, though!

Oh....thank goodness! I said to myself as I read your post.....She's NOT waterskiing already, is she???? Haha!

Thanks so much for telling me about this tool. It sounds more like the one you have at your chiropractor. He said it was not electrical. So......now that my incision is healed and it's ok to touch the area without much pain, do you think this procedure will be overly painful? I hate, hate, hate the thought of going back to icing and elevating for pain control this close to school starting. I sure don't want to go back on my pain meds, either! (I'm just freaking out a little here....I go on Monday for my first session!)

I have 3 half days at school NEXT week for Common Core meetings, and then we start officially on Monday, the 19th of August. Seems SO EARLY to me! My summer, and my healing time, is just about over! Some days I feel like I'm ready, and some days I'm quite nervous about it.

Walked the entire Walmart and PetSmart today, and did well. I am improving, but I just wish I was better. I know it's supposed to take a full year before we feel back to normal. I'm hoping once I get to school and really build my stamina, I'll be ok.

When do you go back to school?

Enjoy your weekend! S'mores sound great!

Good job on the shopping trip today. I shopped for about 2 hours while I was killing time and only spent $1.79 on some magnets.

If the e stim you have what they did for me, I don't think it would be overly painful. I never felt residual pain after the treatment, and really not horrible during. You can always ask him to stop if it hurts and I doubt you would need stronger pain meds. That surgical pain is gone. My son used an ultra-sound bone stimulator when he broke his tibia and fibula and he said he barely felt a tingle.

3 half days sound like a perfect way to get back into the swing of school and build that stamina. Then workshops to follow (lots of meetings?) should be a good indication of how it will go. Do you have an open house one of those evenings?To me, that is the longest day because it's early in the year, we've been working hard to get ready, and then we put in 3 extra evening hours in dresses and heels when it's 90 degrees, and never get to sit down. Plus, you smile all night because it's so fun to see the kids you end up with sore cheeks! Yes, it does seem early. Our state law is that we don't get to start before labor day with students. No such law about when we end the year though...

Dewey, good to hear from you on the forum, Sounds like you have really progressed from some of the posts earlier- it is hard for us to see sometimes because we all want more and be done with. I keep reminding myself that everyone says it really takes a year to get really recovered. I had a smoother recovery than you but still have residual tweaks on the lateral side of my knee with certain moves that are very very slowly getting better. Tiredness is still with me especially with working full time - I even went to my PC and he ran some tests but all OK -I guess it will take more time to get more stamina though on 9/11 I will have my other knee replaced so back to the beginning of tiredness-- I keep telling myself- next year at this time it will all be far behind me. You have had sucha harder road to get to this point that I can see why you are just tired out from it all. Have faith, it will get better.

I had electrical stim with my OP PT and it was not painful but it was electrodes on my quad and then the level for stim was set at what I felt was comfortable--no gel just a soft wrap on the leg and the electrodes placed under it. Just remember, we have the right to say stop or less if it is too painful.

Take care and good luck with returning to work.

Dewey Hope your absence here is a good sign and that life is busy with happy things. Just stopping by to wish you well on your first day back. Hope you rest well. Let us know how it went. I start next Monday.:yikes:

Hello! Hello! So sorry I've been away for so long......I've been back to the real world, I guess! It's hard to believe, but I've done it! I survived TWO new knees, and two full days back in the classroom! And, I can't wait to say this......

IT IS SO WONDERFUL TO TEACH WITHOUT KNEE PAIN!!! Oh my, I cannot believe the difference! Colleagues can't believe how much more I smile now!

My two new knees are holding up pretty good, but I am so exhausted tonight! I think the fact that I've been home since January is playing a big role in that. Building stamina is hard to do after resting on the couch for that long! Yesterday was my first 12 hour day in 7 months!

I'm still struggling with the stairs (mostly going down), and I'm still quite stiff when I first get up, but my gait is pretty much normal, and there is NO PAIN! My scars are looking pretty good now, and some of the numbness around the knees is going away. The best part is......and I hate to say this for fear it will "jinx" me......sleep has returned to my life!! I am pretty consistently getting 7 or 8 hours straight now! I thought I'd never be able to say that! What a difference it makes.

Just wanted to stop by and say I still think of you all so often! It's nice to know there are others "out there" that shared in my experience. Thanks to you all....I never felt alone. I wanted to wish you all well, and I hope your return to "real life" is as good as mine! Take care!

Great report Dewey! The first week of school is always exhausting, but with a tkr on top of that you are definitely going to be extra tired. Congrats & take care.

Good morning Dewey. I am so glad to hear from you, and to hear such a wonderful, glowing report as well. I has been a long journey for you, but you persevered and are now able to report these great results. It's so good for anyone reading through your thread to see that it can be rough, but it does indeed get better. I hope you rest up for tomorrow, and before you know it, it will be Thanksgiving break.

Tomorrow is launch day for me (workshops). I feel very prepared for the physical work, the schedule, and the kids.
The first day with the students is always fun, albeit exhausting (whether just having surgery or not).

Stop by occasionally to update. I know my activity here will be much less frequent once life hits its stride.
PJ

Hello! I was just thinking of you all today, and I thought I'd come back with a little update. Hope this finds all my Bonesmart friends doing well!

Well, it's 7 months on Knee #2, and 9 months on Knee #1 now. I am just amazed by the fact that I just keep getting better and better everyday. It's slow (soooooooooo slow sometimes), but it truly does continue to improve! I firmly believe the "one year to heal" advice that I was told time and time again when I thought I'd never get to where I am now!

Life without knee pain is wonderful! Some days I just want to shout that fact to anyone who will listen! I don't think I had any idea just how miserable I was for so long before my surgeries. My outlook on EVERYTHING is so much better now, and my stress level is unbelievably low....even with a stressful job! That constant pain took more of a toll on my life than I ever thought!

I'm not perfect yet......I still have difficulty going down the stairs, and I'm still terribly stiff after sitting for a while, but I continue to be excited with what I can do now. I'm celebrating today because just this morning, I shopped at two stores before getting our entire weeks groceries! No pain! Shopping for 3 hours! There is no way I could have done that last year at this time! The exciting thing is......I still have room for improvement! I believe it's just going to get better!

I'm hoping everyone that helped me through this chapter of my life is doing well, also. I think of you all often. I tell anyone who is contemplating knee surgery to get on this site asap! You all helped me SO much! I was never alone, and I could get encouragement and support any time I needed it! I know it helped my recovery tons! So, once again, I thank you all!

Hope to hear from you! Take care!

Glad you are doing so well!!! I still have the same issues as you with the stiffness and stairs. Though I can do them it takes thinking before I head down. Up is no problem. It's the down that I worry about. I'm a bit sore today but more my feet than my knee. I shopped at two stores, worked in the yard for hours then hung Christmas lights outside before it is too cold to do it again. Been on my feet for 6 hours today! No way that would've happened presurgery. Every day I'm moving forward. Loving life now!

Great to hear from you. :flwrysmile: Fantastic update. I am glad you are back to living your life and progressing with the knees. It is wonderful to be able to go to the store and not hurt for hours after. Keep enjoying.

Hello Dewey! So glad that you are doing well!! I am now 8 months out from BTKR...and am doing exactly how you are doing...great! Your thoughts on your recovery are just like mine. I also get very stiff after sitting for awhile...and have trouble still walking down stairs. But otherwise, my surgery results are just like yours. I was on my feet for three hours helping at our church this morning rake leaves and drag big tarps of leaves down a hill to dump them into a forest...then back up the hill again. A year ago I was walking with a cane and couldn't even imagine I'd be able to do what I'm doing now. Thanks for your update...I'm so glad that you continue to do well. :yahoo:

Hi,
Thanks for updating and letting us know about your great progress! Mine was done on Feb 12th and your description of progress sounds the same as mine. No problems going up the stairs, a little hesitant coming down and stiff after sitting. It's great to be able to walk and stand for long amounts of time. I'm so glad that we are this far out. Please update again on the one year anniversary!
Vickie

Dewey, I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. It is a long recovery--but the rest of your life looms ahead of you now.

Hi Dewey, great to hear from you, I am not here as much now but am always thankful I found Bonesmart.

I had my right TKR middle November last year, so nearly a year pre-op, my left TKR was June this year, what a difference with two ops with the second I am far more advanced and feel just like you in my recovery. Everything has gone as planned and both legs now are pretty flexible and good ROM. As for the stairs I can come down sometimes now without support from the handrail but prefer to have a little support. My only problems left is getting my walking outside up, indoors everything is fine but cannot walk more than a mile or so, which I am working on so sure it will come in time.

I hope everyone else here is doing fine and well on there way to get back to normal lives it is great.

Sheila xxxxxx

Dewey, I'm so glad to hear your report. There is indeed life after TKR! The recovery can be a real challenge, and there's no way to predict who will be a turtle and who will be a hare. But in the end it is so worth it.

I was fortunate enough to be a hare. Four months after my right knee replacement I went zip-lining, and three months after my left knee replacement I hiked to the bottom of Canyon de Chelly in northern Arizona, and then I hiked back up! Going up was hard - I had to stop and catch my breath about every 10 minutes because I'm so out of shape, but the knees did great!

Yesterday I tried a Pilates class (not a success - forgot there was a lot of hands and knees stuff which the knees disliked intensely!), then took a line dancing class, and this morning I hiked three miles in the beautiful Arizona desert. I love having my life back!

I've just spent a couple of hours rereading all of my posts from both of my surgeries. On the almost one year anniversary of my second knee's surgery, I just had to come here to post my sincere appreciation to all of you that helped me through that tough chapter in my life. I knew I was so thankful for this site and the wonderfully compassionate posters who helped me, but after rereading all of the posts, I realized that you all were my angels! Every single time I asked for reassurance and encouraging words (and I did that A LOT!), you were here for me! THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART! This journey would have been so much worse without you all!

Next week marks a year for my second knee and 13 months for knee #1. I can't believe how much my life has changed in just a year's time. Life without knee pain is truly wonderful! The "it takes a year" advice is so true! Actually, I believe I'm not finished with the healing and the improving yet as it seems to continue to get better and better! Yesterday I was able to do the one thing I dreamed about all those months ago......Tell my surgeon THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME MY LIFE BACK!

I'm not perfect yet, but there is no knee pain. NONE! I still think about my knees every single day, but usually it's to be astonished at what I can do now! I can walk the stores for as long as I want, I no longer have to park as close as I can to the door, I can stand and cook a meal without sitting down every 5 minutes, I can walk my little dog, and I am so thankful! Both knees bend pretty good (#2 is better), but I still have difficulties going down stairs. I feel like it's a small, small price to pay for having painfree knees! I continue to work on it, and I have no doubt that it, too, will get better.

We have planned a wonderful Caribbean cruise for the summer, and I can't wait to finally walk on the beach with my husband! I have no doubt that it will happen this year!

So......I just wanted to come back and say thank you to those of you that gave me all that wonderful support just a few short months ago. I will always remember your kindness!!

Take care,
Dewey

Here is to many walks in the sand, a great cruise, more adventures, and two good lifelong knees. Glad to hear things are well.

Dewey, you so perfectly expressed what BoneSmart has meant to so many of us through our respective journeys! I am delighted you are feeling so pleased with your progress!! I can hear it running through your head already with a nice calypso beat in the background: "No worries - Be happy!"

How wonderful to hear how great you're doing, Dewey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom