THR DesertDiva's Recovery Thread

Best wishes for tomorrow @DesertDiva
You'll be up and at 'em bright and early.
Hopefully the first surgery for the day when the team is fresh and ready to go.
I hope you get some sleep tonight and by this time tomorrow it will all be in the rear view and you'll be on your way to a wonderful New Year.
Wishing you comfort and a few winks tonight :yawn: :sleep:

:hi:Up early so I can get my Dad up to the hospital for a heart catheritization so I will be thinking of you and other Dec 30th folks.
Two good hips for 2020!:yes!:

I felt a little weepy before surgery this morning, but everyone took good care of me and the surgery went well. The OS told me afterwards that I was "bone on bone" and understood my level of pain. Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement, kindness, and prayers.

@DesertDiva :welome: back to the healing side! I know it's not been that long since your last surgery but if you want the recovery guidelines again just let me know.

Happy to hear everything went well and you're now able to get on with recovery. Will continue to send healing thoughts, cyber hugs and hope you can get some sleep tonight.

Here's to a happy, healthy and pain free new year!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Good Evening @DesertDiva
Many get weepy before surgery, so you're certainly not alone in that.
Major surgery is a big deal! Thankfully it's now behind you.
Let the healing begin :yes!:
Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey. :walking:

I hope your night was peaceful and that you get to go home soon if that is your desire. I always wanted to come home so I could control the day more to suit me and I like my recliner better than the hospital one.

Sometimes the Path is Rocky...

First of all, I'm sorry for venting and hope that I'm not going to say anything "inappropriate." Yesterday was a "comedy of errors," but I'm resting easier now. My "surgery person" told me she wasn't feeling well when she arrived (catching a cold), but was able to take me to the hospital the day of surgery. However, yesterday morning I sent her a text telling her that I would be discharged and she said she was feeling better. I tried to start calling her at 9:30 a.m. so she could pick me up but no one answered the phone. I kept calling for an hour and a half and still no answer. I began to worry that something might have happened to her and called my next door neighbor (who has keys) to see what was wrong. It turns out that she was asleep after we called the police. She then got angry and defensive on the phone and told me she didn't want to come up to the hospital room, and would drive to the front door of the hospital. My next door neighbor knew I was extremely upset and said she would come pick me up. She did so and later went to pick up my prescription. I told my "friend" this obviously wasn't working and she went home. She's old and I suspect she my have early signs of memory problems, etc... It was NOT a pleasant confrontation.

So, I'm home alone one day after surgery until my friend from Mexico comes on January 3rd. The home health care nurse did come today for the initial processing, and my brother in Tennessee will check on me by phone every few hours.

I had to ask the nurse for a Xanax before I left the hospital as I was in tears. I'm having more pain this time as the 2nd hip was in pretty bad shape. The resident who works with the OS told me he said "Wow, I can see she really was in extreme pain before this." He said I was "bone on bone" and something about the cartilige being damaged and a flap. He also said there was a huge leg length discrepancy, but he repaired it all and feels hopeful that I'll recover fully.

I'm sorry for airing my "dirty laundry," but I desperately need support right now from this forum. I know I'll be OK, but it's been challenging this time around.

Also, could an adminisrator change my recovery thread to that - DesertDiva's Recovery Thread. Thanks for being there for me...

Sorry things went so badly for you, hopefully things will improve soon. No need to worry about venting, it's one of the greatest benefits of this site, allowing you to express your frustration to people that truly understand what you are going through. Even though I have a very loving and supportive wife she doesn't fully understand and the support here has been very beneficial to my recovery process. Sending good and healing thoughts your way and remember :ice: :ice: :ice:

Oh, bless you and your feelings are so understandable. You’ve been through a lot before, during, and now after surgery Everything is pretty raw physically and emotionally. I, too, was bone on bone like many on the forum. Someone else has said, it does interesting things to your personality. I got very cross with the poor little receptionist at my PC office who called me 4 days post op and insisted I make my annual appointment. It wasn’t pretty but it happened. I apologized when the nurse called me the next day. We’ve so been there and that’s why we’re here. No worries. This is a safe place. Good news: it does get better! The skies lighten, the smiles and laughter begin. Oh, yeah, and you can move again without all that horrible pain. :yes!: Hang in there. Sending peace and healing blessings your way. Keep us posted.

Good Afternoon @DesertDiva
Hooray for home! It's the best to be in the quiet of your own space without the frequent interruptions of the surgery site. Hopefully you're feeling relaxed and at peace in your own nest.

I understand your concern in notifying the police, but am wondering if the shock and embarrassment of being woken by your neighbor entering with police in tow caused a great deal of humiliation for your friend? Could it be she overslept due to being sick with the cold she informed you she had, then experienced a restless, sleepless night, finally falling into a deep sleep toward morning when she was to be at the hospital? It's too bad it evolved into an unpleasant confrontation given you stated your friend may have early signs of memory problems, the poor dear. It seems she was making an effort to be there for you but a few unfortunate circumstances hindered her ability. Sadly unfortunate, hopefully you two are able to talk through it and move forward.

Thankfully you had the home health nurse today, your brother checking in on you and your friend from Mexico arriving on Friday. It is my understanding we're all bone on bone, or stage 4, by the time we experience THR so we can easily relate to the pain and discomfort you're experiencing. If you feel your meds aren't adequately helping with the pain, please contact your OS or a member of his care team to see if they can adjust meds for you. Don't forget icing also. It's a great pain reliever and will help with the swelling which contributes to the pain. It's recommended you ice for 45-60 mins, no less, several times per day. May tomorrow feel brighter than today. :SUNsmile:

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening.

I am sorry you had the extra stress of trying to figure out how you were going to get home. No one needs that after a major surgery. I hope that now that you are home you can relax a bit and have some peace. Make sure you are taking your meds on time to get ahead of the pain. Did they prescribe Tylenol also to help? I found all my times that pain meds with Tylenol in between really helped.

I am glad that someone is checking in on you by phone at least. I was alone for my knee surgeries pretty much all day from 630am till 5pm as my husband was working. On one level it was kind of peaceful except for the home visits by nurse and PT. He was here nights but I had to stay downstairs due to bathroom access and steep stairs (before we remodeled the house) and he was upstairs with hearing issues so I do not think he would hear me.

Make sure you have a cell phone on you at all times. Do you think your neighbor could pop in once or twice before your friend gets there on Friday? It might help to see a helpful face, even if for 5minutes.

I hope your night is peaceful and you can get some rest.

Oh my, when it rains, it pours! You had a neck of a start there. Happily you're now at home and hopefully much more comfortable. Great that have the health nurse checking in and your brother via phone. I'm sure your neighbor wouldn't mind popping their head in once in a while, especially when nice enough to pick you up at the hospital. Wishing you a brighter tomorrow and hopefully you and your friend will eventually be able to laugh about the mix up.

Hello @DesertDiva
Wow...just noticed you're eight days in so far.
Hopefully all is going well with your recovery and with any luck this one is feeling a little better than your first.
Wishing you a good week as you continue the journey! :walking:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562