THR DesertDiva's Recovery Thread

Good Morning and a Happy Saturday to you @DesertDiva
I agree with all above who've suggested a visit to either the podiatrist or your Primary.

Sorry you're struggling. These last weeks leading up to surgery can be difficult, even more so when you're still in recovery with Lefty. Only 37 days to go, which hopefully fly by for you. Until then, I'd rest as often as you're able and let your body be your guide in regard to activity.
Hope you have a pleasant weekend!

Happy Saturday @DesertDiva, don't really have much to add from what everyone else has said, definitely think you'd feel better if you checked in with a doctor of some sort.

We realize it's hard to be patient and take things slow but with your other hip waiting in the chute you're really going to have to baby it or end up in pain and not feeling like you're getting anywhere. Sorry you're still having pains and other niggles popping up. :console2:

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments. At this point, limited activity and rest are key. However, the pain is at this point tolerable and I don't think I can create any more damage at this point.

I realized I committed a slight "faux pas" when I asked about something on another thread. Mia culpa!

So, with that said I'm somewhat "curious" about anesthesia and what type I had. When you meet the anesthesiologist minutes before surgery and he tells you what he's going to do, you seem to only catch half of what he's saying.

This is what I remember: The nurse attending to me had me take Celebrex with almost literally a thimbleful of water to pre-treat for pain. I "thought" I had a spinal and general anesthesia, but in reading comments (and remembering the the anesthesiologist promising I wouldn't remember) I'm now thinking I didn't go completely under.

Strangely, my last memory was being wheeled down the hall and seeing a clock that said 12:40 p.m. That's all I remember. In recovery, I didn't have that "drugged" feeling (although I'm sure that at first I was out of it), and remember feeling pretty "alert" and talked to both of the people who came to the hospital with me one at a time.

I do remember after sleeping on and off I woke up terribly hungry and was delighted when they told me I could order anything off the menu.

At any rate, I'm now guessing that I had the "amnesia drug" and/or what is known as "twilight sleep."

Hello @DesertDiva

If you're curious about all, phone the office of your OS and request copies of your surgery notes. Or ask upon your next visit. I did and all I had to do was sign a form requesting which copies I wanted and all of my records of office visits, x-rays and surgery notes arrived in the mail, within the week, for my personal records. Interesting read for sure.
Happy Sunday!

Oops, forgot something earlier...
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Hope you're having a good day :)
@DesertDiva

Aw @Layla - thank you. I'm fine with the operated hip, but the "sinister sister" is giving me fits. I'm actually going to Deming, NM this week to stay in an RV park for a month with my friends. Deming is basically an hour from my home in Las Cruces, and I'm taking my tow car (someone will help me hook up and unhook due to hip precautions) to travel back by myself for dentist and pre-surgery appointments. My friend Judith (who is a retired minister) will come back with me on about 12/27 and see me through my surgery, and then my friend Cecilia from Puerto Penasco will come and stay with me for a couple of weeks. Although not pain free and worry free - I'm looking forward to the holidays...

You're welcome!
I'm happy to hear you're able to get away. Hopefully the distraction helps ease the pain a little here and there. Best news is that you'll have a friend see you through the surgery and another to stay with you the first couple weeks. Awesome news! Hopefully you'll have a handle on a routine by the time your friend leaves and feeling stronger and more confident. Best of luck that this recovery is uneventful and better than your last.
Safe travels this week and Happy Thanksgiving!
@DesertDiva

Sounds like a wonderful plan and a return to some normality with your RV friends. Nice that you will have support after the next surgery and just think for that recovery you will have a strong hip to lean on. Happy holidays and travels.

Happy Two Month Anniversary! Sounds like you have a good plan in place with friends helping you through surgery and for a while after. Also think that going to the RV park where your friends are will help you take your mind off the pain, laughter and good friends does a body good!

@DesertDiva. Just checking to see how you are doing and if you are back or still doing the RV adventure. I hope wherever you are you are having good days.

Hi @leejaa,

I'm actually part of a singles RV group called Loner's on Wheels (LOW's) and they have their main campground in Deming, NM which is about an hour from Las Cruces. I came just before Thanksgiving and am leaving on December 27th.

My surgery is scheduled on December 30th.

I haven't been active since the Wi-Fi (and Verizon signal) aren't very good here. I'm actually in quite a bit more pain with the unoperated hip, and severely limiting my walking. I fear if my surgery wasn't scheduled soon, I'd be in a wheelchair. My operated hip is now my strong hip, but I've stopped doing my exercises since it's too painful to put weight on the unoperated hip.

However, being around people helps me tolerate the discomfort and pain. I recently drove to Las Cruces for my pre-surgery clearance and am going back home for a night or so tomorrow for my appointment with the pre-surgery nurse and a CT scan for part of the robotic assisted surgery to insure proper length and placement of my new hip. I hope it works because I now have significant leg length discrepancy and am pretty sure it's because the OS said I'm in stage 4 of AVN and the hip balis probably collapsing further, etc...

Thank you for checking on me...

How wonderful to be around friends. It does help with the waiting. Now you are on your way to next surgery and pain relief. I found it encouraging once the pre op appointments started as markers on my road to pain relief after surgery. I would think this recovery might be a bit easier since you have one new strong hip/leg to support you. I could not do any activities before my hip surgery as it was too painful just to walk to do necessities but recovery was still fine. I was thankful that I had my other 2yo hip and my 6yo knees to not cause any pain and support me.

Will be looking for you on the recovery pages.

Wishing you Happy Holidays and glad you have friends around to help distract you during the wait!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

Hello @DesertDiva :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
I hope you're enjoying your time with your RV group. Not long to wait now until your big day and the beginning of relief. I imagine your friends serve as a pleasant distraction on those "not so good" days which seem to ramp up toward surgery time.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Will look forward to following your recovery.
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

So good to see your update @DesertDiva. Doubly glad to know you've been with a strong support group of friends. I love the sound of your LOW's group.
Your time is quickly approaching and so so sorry you are suffering so! What a relief it will be to have this over and done with.

Wishing you a Happy Holiday season! Come on Dec 30!!

Thank you all for your kind comments and well wishes.

If I'm honest, part of me is still in shock that I've had one hip replaced and face the other one a week from today.

Tomorrow will be my "three month anniversary" of my left hip replacement, but tears come easily as I'll soon be "plunged back into Hell" to heal and recover as I do it "all over again." I know that depression regarding all of this is somewhat normal and to be expected, but a significant part of me feels "broken."

I've lost almost a year of my life, that I'll never be able to gain back and I often wonder if I'll ever feel whole after this experience. I keep a "happy face" and smile through the pain. However, this whole experience has taken a toll on me not only physically but more significantly emotionally.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been in the "do what I have to do" mode and that isn't working as I'm feeling "angry" as I navigate this whole process.

No need to apologize for the rant - this is the safe place to express our frustrations/hopes and fears and everyone pretty much understands. The emotions do take a hit with so much pain pre surgery and then for you two surgeries to get through.

I believe you will regain your life after this hip gets taken care of and the pain eliminated. You are a strong person but just worn down some now. This recovery should be a bit easier as your other hip is strong now and does not hurt. I keep being thankful that my knees and other hip were replaced since they provided so much support for this last hip before surgery and with recovery. I could trust the other joints to support me and that really helped. Hang in there- relief is coming. 2020 will be your year to regain your life and travel again with your group which sounds wonderful.

Wishing you a peaceful night. Lee

Oh dear, I'm sure you are indeed feeling worn down and a bit angry. It's understandable. After all you are human and have feelings and it was a bit rugged for you this past fall season.
If I recall correctly, you have friends helping you, right? I think that will be most helpful for you.
You said in an earlier post that the left hip is the strong hip now and soon you will have 2 strong hips.
I believe this and I also believe in your inner strength to help you through.
Wishing you the very best this holiday season. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom