THR DesertDiva's Recovery Thread

@DesertDiva
I know how you feel. I had posterior and was told to observe precautions for three months. I am a very cautious person, so you can imagine how anxious I am about breaking the rules. My home PT, though, has been very good about helping me loosen up. I asked him if it was OK to bake using the top shelf of the oven, and he made me reach for the bottom shelf! I always feel better after he comes.

I am a very cautious person, so you can imagine how anxious I am about breaking the rules.

Me too! So much that I loosely imposed them on myself. I figured it couldn't hurt, right? Nothing like a little passage of time to ease all that anxiety.

Good to hear your dental work is complete for now.
Enjoy the weekend, ladies!
@DesertDiva

Six Week Surgery Follow-Up Tomorrow...

Since there are so many caring members of this group, I've decided to write an update instead of "sitting" on my anxiety and feelings. As many of you know, I live alone and now have been released from home health care, with the P.T. being the last to go. I feel more capable and stronger every day, but my PT did warn me not to become lax in my hip precautions etc... since I'm feeling better. I know I'm fine, but nervous since a "layer of protection" is now gone.

Driving - My PT was very good about teaching me how to get in and out of my Honda CR-V. At first she wanted to raise the seat and/or have me sit on a cushion, but it interfered with enough room under the steering wheel to depress the clutch. I had an issue moving my leg to the left and up to depress the clutch, but that's no longer an issue. Unofficially, she feels I'm ready but that call is up to my OS tomorrow.

Pain - I don't want to jinx this, but through the whole process I've experienced minimal pain. I never had to take narcotics after the I.V. was removed the next day, and only took Tylenol (3,000 mg daily) for two weeks after surgery. I "do" take 15 mg of Meloxicam daily, but the pain now is in the un-operative (is that a word?) hip and basically takes the edge off the pain. When I had an MRI the tech said afterwards that I must have a high tolerance for pain - yes, I know she shouldn't have. The ball is collapsing in each hip, and now I have "one down, one to go."

Doing It All Again - At my two week visit my OS said we would "discuss" the surgery on my right hip, and "thought" we could schedule it before the end of the year. We're going to discuss it tomorrow. Now, I know what to expect but I'm still not excited at the thought of being plunged into the "helpless" ocean again. My OS although somewhat younger seems to be very conservative. I have mixed feelings about this, but the bottom line is if I have to go through this I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my total recovery in any way. I have mixed feeling about going through the holiday season "compromised," but my desire to travel and "have my life back" override those feelings.

Swelling - Four weeks ago I had some pretty significant swelling in my ankle and knee area. My OS ordered thigh high compression stockings. I had to purchase a stocking "donner" and still it was crazy difficult to get the stocking on (and off) each day. I did a "test" without the stocking and now just have minimal swelling around my ankle. "My PT said to "relax" and it might swell for awhile and to elevate and ice when I can...

Luna - I have a "probably" three year old (guessed one year when I adopted her from a rescue) "probable" malti-poo (more poo with long legs than malti). Yesterday she didn't come right away when I called her when she was in my "jungle" of a backyard and probably ate something she shouldn't have. At 11:00 p.m. she vomited on my white duvet and I had to strip the bed, sheets, etc... She then vomited again on the floor that I was able to somewhat clean with my reacher and a washcloth. This morning she vomited bile in the kitchen since her stomach was empty. Thank goodness I had a frozen chicken breast and white rice and now she's FINE. Sorry if that was too much information!

Halfway Through - I know I can do this again - it's just not what I thought would happen in my life. Actually, I have a non life threatening issue since birth and somehow felt like I should have gotten a "pass card" for any more surgical dramas. However, life isn't like that and as long as I come through this hip journey OK I'm good...

Cheryl in Southern New Mexico

Thanks for the update Cheryl.
You are doing fine.
Good to hear you agree to have the second THR. My second one is scheduled for Dec 03 and I cannot wait.
Hope your swelling goes away and Luna gets better too

:hi: @DesertDiva
I'm wishing you peace and comfort as you consult with your OS today.
You sound to be doing very well overall but as I had mine done simultaneously, I can only imagine how having those who are looking at number 2 on the heels of number one feels.:umm:
You know there have been many members who have, and glad to be done with it.
Now, I know what to expect but I'm still not excited at the thought of being plunged into the "helpless" ocean again.
I get that...the feeling of being infirmed was very disconcerting to me also.
. I have mixed feelings about this, but the bottom line is if I have to go through this I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my total recovery in any way. I have mixed feeling about going through the holiday season "compromised," but my desire to travel and "have my life back" override those
You know they say...Courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to face it?
I think you are very courageous...we are with you all the way.

Hi Cheryl, It seems you're doing really well so far.
I hope all goes well with your appointment today and with any luck your surgeon will allow you to relax on those restrictions. While the thought of going through a second THR anytime soon must be very unappealing, if your surgeon and PCP find you healthy enough to do so, you may as well move forward and recapture life as you knew and loved it.
Would love to hear an update after today's appt if you care to share.
Until then...all the best to you!
@DesertDiva

Hi Cheryl, hoping you'll check in and let us know how your appointment with your OS went. That was a good update, sounds like you're moving along nicely. Leave it to our fur babies to add to our fun during recovery! The golfers reach came in handy numerous times cleaning up after my cats. :snork: :catbutterfly:

@DesertDiva :wave: I wonder how that follow up with your OS went?
I loved your update.. you have done well. But poor Luna!! Poor you! Dog puke on a white Duvet.. wow. yuck.. bleh! But you managed to get it cleaned up and sounds like you rolled with it.

You are doing so well and on your own.. I'm proud of you. Really. :friends:

Six Week Post Surgical Update

First of all, thank you to @RinTinTin @Mojo333 @Layla @Elf1 and @CricketHip for your encouragement and kind words. I was really nervous for some reason.

X-Ray - There were x-rays taken of both hips and my OS surgeon said the the newly replaced one is doing "just fine." As for my other hip, he just said "It's pretty worn out" due to the AVN.

Returning to "normal" - I was given my clearance to drive, and after I got home took out my CR-V and drove to the post office and Sam's club which are pretty close to my house. My OS had previously written a request for a temporary handicapped tag which I used also. (It's good until next April.) He said I have to practice 90 degree hip precautions for three months, but I no longer have to sleep on my back with a rolled bolster between my legs. If tolerated, I can now sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs.

Second surgery date - Before the OS left the exam room, we talked about early December for my right hip. I had asked about pain with the 2nd hip since I didn't experience extreme pain (mainly discomfort) with my 1st hip. The OS said everyone is different, but don't be surprised if there is (or not) more pain with the upcoming surgery.

The person who schedules the surgeries laughed when we met afterwards and said "He doesn't know his schedule" and told me the first opening was on 01/06/20. However, she told me she has a call into the hospital to schedule surgeries on 12/16/19 and it looks "promising." She knows I had a long drawn out process to reach a diagnosis and the physiatrist that referred me from the same office actually "advocated" for me to be offered the first cancellation for my first hip. I'm hoping the December date will open up because I just want to be done and on the "total healing highway." She said we should have tentatively scheduled the second hip when I had the first hip done.

I should find out today if I can be on the earlier schedule...

Last edited:
Overall sounds like a good follow up with your OS. Congrats on being cleared to drive, for now, that always gives us our sense of independence back.

Keeping fingers crossed that you get your December date :fingersx:! I always laugh, doc says one thing and then you talk to the scheduler and um, no not happening then. :snork:

Oh boy, I hope the December date pans out for you! I guess January 6 isn't too horribly far away either. But understand your wanting to get it over with and on the way to complete recovery.
The follow up visit sounds very positive overall.
You are on your way and I am so happy for you!

:yahoo: Great report and yay for side sleeping!:sleeep:
I'm glad you are ready to just get this other hip happy as well.
Continued good wishes for healing and maybe a cancellation.
Hope the rest of your week is sweet.

Wonderful report. Sounds like you are doing really well, able to drive a bit will help you feel normal.

I hope you get a December cancellation and can move on with your recovery.

:hi: @DesertDiva
Great update! Thanks for sharing. I hope the December surgery date works out for you, but if not, you won't have long to wait until January 6th.
Wishing you continued healing and comfort as you await round two.
Have a great Thursday and weekend!

Saturday Night "Blues"...

I know I'm not actually "crazy," just stressed with the demands of life. A personal "pity party" is not one I usually attend, but I find myself discouraged and tired. It seems like I take the proverbial one step forward and two steps back.

The surgery "scheduler" was supposed to call me on Wednesday and tell me if there was additional surgery time on December 16th, but Friday came with no call. I called and was promised a call-back. No response. I finally drove to the OS office and asked to see the surgery scheduler. She had already gone home. Gee, I wish I had a job like that when I was teaching. I had a full-blown melt down in front of the office manager. My OS basically promised me early December and waiting a full month past then (in pain) is hard to bear.

I feel broken and helpless. The pain has been going on since mid-March, and the actual diagnosis wasn't until the end of August after being shuffled from PT to various doctors. I feel like my whole life is "on hold" and I don't have faith that I'm ever going to be the person I once was. The eventual diagnosis of avascular necrosis was devastating. Since I have severe osteoporosis, I was always worried about osteocronosis of the jaw due to taking Fosamax several years ago. Instead, I have osteocronosis of the hip(s).

My zirconia bridge breaking recently and injuring the anchor tooth was the last straw. I had a root canal, and a major discussion (argument) about the proper treatment plan with my previous and new dentist. I finally decided to "trust my gut" and have a new bridge with my new dentist. An implant is risky for me due to my time taking biophosphonates.

There's a significant part of me that feels like I'm in the "Twilight Zone" and this all happening is somewhat surreal. My left original hip is gone and I have a replacement - and eventually the same will happen on my right hip. I go to the grocery and have to depend upon "the kindness of strangers" to reach items on the bottom shelf. I can't scrub my feet in the shower due to hip precautions, but went for a pedicure today - maybe that will be my routine "treat" until I can reach my feet again...

I really hate when someone working in healthcare is not cognizant of how their actions or lack of action affect people and especially those waiting for surgery. That was rude and unfeeling and I would have had a melt down also. They can at least call and say they are still working on it but something to reach out to the patient. I have worked in healthcare most of my life from secretary and surgery scheduler to x-ray tech and then to an administrative position in the x-ray dept. of a hospital. No matter the job what made me feel good was the fact that I could help someone and offer some compassion. In fact my secretarial position was for an OS in a University Medical Center and included surgical scheduling. Reaching out as soon as possible with dates was so vital for patient satisfaction.

It is very difficult when one is hurting and trying to recovery at the same time. I noticed this with my knees since both were bad and when the first one was done the other was still not able to play nicely and let me do things. I am sure you will be calling the office first thing Monday morning.

This is the place to come and let some of that stress and frustration out. We understand.

One more step in getting the other hip replaced and you will get back to a more normal life after recovery and without pain. Try to rest some tomorrow.

I don’t know if this helps but I used a back scrubber strap type to scrub my feet and then a device called “clean my toes” which cost about £3 from amazon which was a flannel at the end of a stick. Both brilliant for keeping my feet clean and used when sat in the shower. I can know reach my feet when in the bath but still use the stick toe device in the shower!

It is very difficult when one is hurting and trying to recovery at the same time. I noticed this with my knees since both were bad and when the first one was done the other was still not able to play nicely and let me do things. I am sure you will be calling the office first thing Monday morning.

This is the place to come and let some of that stress and frustration out. We understand.

One more step in getting the other hip replaced and you will get back to a more normal life after recovery and without pain. Try to rest some tomorrow.

Thank you @leejaa - Although I got cleared to drive it's bittersweet since if I'm on my feet for too long the hip that hasn't had replacement hurts. I actually overdid it yesterday and I couldn't get comfortable lying in bed and for some odd reason was able to sleep with reduced pain in the recliner.

My frustration is that my OS knows my "hips are toast" and the ball is collapsing. He also knows that Meloxicam for pain just "takes the edge off." Leaving someone "half fixed" and in pain seems terribly cruel. However, he probably isn't aware of the scheduling, etc...

Navigating through this process alone and single is almost more than I can bear...

I don’t know if this helps but I used a back scrubber strap type to scrub my feet and then a device called “clean my toes” which cost about £3 from amazon which was a flannel at the end of a stick. Both brilliant for keeping my feet clean and used when sat in the shower. I can know reach my feet when in the bath but still use the stick toe device in the shower!

Thank you @SurreyGirl - I'll see what Amazon USA has to offer...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom