Lounge Doctor

Depression setting in...one week before surgery

ACIM

senior
Country
United States United States
I'm really feeling low right now...don't want to get out of bed...must begin preparing my home for post-op.
One concern I have is meal planning. I won't really have anyone here to help me after surgery except the home-healthcare people coming in 2-3 times a week for medical checks. Also paying a friend to spend maybe an hour or two 2-3 times a week to help me with bathing, food to eat, feeding kitties- her hours will not be pre-planned. She'll come when she can.
Wondering if I'll be able to get up and use the toilet on my own if no one is here...or, get something to eat on my own if no one is here.
I am living in a private apt. in a private home so there ARE other people living in the other part of the house...we get along great but they all work full-time...don't want to ask them to do anything unless it's an emergency.

Bionic

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had 2 hip replacements last year and made good use of my husband who was at my beck and call whenever I needed.
A friend of mine also a a THR at the beginning of this month and he lives on his own. He got lots of information from me beforehand about what to expect and what aids he should buy. He was also going to buy in his favourite ready meals.
3.5 weeks later and he is doing really well. His biggest problem has been the compression socks. Luckily he has a neighbour who is a nurse and she has done them for him a few times and on another occasion he bought a change of socks with him to a meeting (a friend gave him a lift) and asked my husband ( a sock changer expert by now) if he could change his socks for him.
You are not the first person to be on your own and you won't be the last but planning is essential at this stage. So you really do need to get out of bed and decide how things are going to work for you.
Best wishes for your op

Going4fun

graduate
Country
@Newbie tkr ... sorry to hear about the depression. That's probably fear talking and overwhelm ... Are you under treatment for depression? ... You might want to report this episode to your general doctor or mental health practitioner if you have one. Might even call your surgeon's office and mention this ... they'll encourage you and give you tips ... and may reassure you ... Mention your fears about taking care of yourself. Your surgeon's nursing staff should have good info for this.

beachlily

senior
Hi Newbie tkr! I totally understand your apprehension prior to this surgery. I’d definitely call my OS to let them know how you’re feeling... perhaps there are community services that you can get... volunteer services? Meals on Wheels? Please keep us updated. Hugs!

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
I’ve just had my 2nd THR & it is possible to do it alone... with a lot of prep beforehand & some willing volunteers to give a little assistance.
Getting in & out of bed was made easy this time by the loan of a simple ‘slip’ mat ... very thin silky sheet that go under your bottom & makes it unbelievably easy to get in bed on your own... getting out is fairly easy anyways.
I so understand your depression but hope BS can allay most of your fears... good luck... thinking of you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gertie

post-grad
Country
I've had a THR and 2 TKRs. I live alone and managed fine with help from friends. I didn't need any assistance getting in and out of bed, using the toilet, etc. I hired someone to come in once a day and tend to the cat box, do a few dishes, etc. I got Meals on Wheels so I only needed to think about fixing food on weekends. I rented a recliner and set that area up as my nest. There's lots of good info on here about how to set up space, adaptive equipment, etc.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Newbie tkr You will be fully mobile and able to move around on your own before you leave the hospital. You will also be able to go up and down stairs and get in and out of bed on your own. Plenty of us recovered on our own - worry not!

Perhaps freeze some meals and have snacks on hand that are easy to prepare. You will be fine.

OP
OP
ACIM

ACIM

senior
Country
Thanks all...so much great advice- Bionic, compression socks??! Holy cow, I didn't even think about that. I do have all my planning for post-op in place already, except for buying my food and getting my place clean before surgery. I've also got al my aids except for a shower seat. Lucky YOU, Bionic, to have had your husband at your beck and call...
Jaycee, thanks so much for the encouragement! Knowing that I'll actually be able to do these things (getting in and out of bed, bathroom) on my own really helps me feel better.
I do believe my anxiety/depression right now are pretty normal given the circumstances. I don't look forward to the immediate aftermath of the surgery- getting back in shape ( yet again) as I'm used to working out most days of the week. It's amazing to me that I've already had three joints replaced and forgotten what the recovery was like. But I have forgotten...
I'm incredibly grateful for this website.
I realize now, after reading your responses to me, that everything is going to be fine.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Newbie tkr I don't care how many joints you have had replaced, you are still nervous pre-op. I had SO much anxiety pre-op my second THR. All silly stuff - but real.
I do believe my anxiety/depression right now are pretty normal given the circumstances.
Normal given any circumstances! It's hard facing major surgery. But please know you are not alone and you will indeed be fine!

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Newbie tkr - Can you pre-cook meals and freeze them, so you only have to take them out of teh freezer and heat them up? Or buy a stock of TV dinners, so you can do the same thing?

From now until your surgery, cook two portions of each meal, and freeze one of them. IT's much easier to do taht than to start a meal from scratch after surgery.

Have you looked at this thread?
Home Alone After Surgery
There are lots of helpful hints in it about managing on your own.

OP
OP
ACIM

ACIM

senior
Country
Jaycey and Celle: more great information...can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
The article, too, on being home alone gave me some additional tips I hadn't thought about, like paper plates, plastic cups, etc.
I've actually got a great set-up where I live in that, even though my bedroom is upstairs, everything else (large couch, bathroom, large flat screen TV, fridge, bathroom, front door) are downstairs...so that's where I'll be staying. Plus, the entire downstairs where I live can't be more than about 500 sq. feet so getting around shouldn't be too difficult.
Off to get my final bloodwork done now.
More later in the week.

honeybeast

Country
I would suggest investing in a walker tray. That way you can carry your food from the prep area to the table. I got around fine on my own but one of my biggest obstacles was.. "ok how do I carry the bowl from the microwave to the table while holding onto the walker"

Also they make long handled tools to feed pets with.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ralibar
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom