Depression/post-op blues - open for all

So sorry, it is very hard emotionally. I am tired of being in pain, it can become depressing. Hang in there, you are almost done.

Unfortunately, this can be part of the THR recovery & when it hits it’s a double whammy! THR’s & blues are horrible... please know that this will pass & you will feel glad to have done those hips....

Just hang on in there...lots of us have been in the same position and can testify to there being light on the horizon...

Bonesmarties unite! We are all here for you & wishing you so well xxxx[emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No rhyme or reason, everything and everyone around me is good. Me, not so much. And although my hips are doing good, I'm not used to the feeling that I'm going to just cry out of the blue! I've never been this way in the past so this is really from surgery and recovery? Weird. :boohoo:

Aww @SE Florida
So sorry you are suffering too.. you say no rhyme or reason but I think THR is pretty much the reason & the rhyme.
It is such an assault to our body & minds.. both pre-op and post-op. Pain, anxiety, recovery )is it too slow, why does this hurt now, how come some people rock it... how come I’m not!!! All that!!

Thinking of you sweetheart... knowing we all care... hoping your weekend is better for you... [emoji8][emoji3059] Chrissie xx

Thank you so much @Hoppy Nanny, I just hate to whine when there are so many not doing very well. I have to remember "this too will pass". Sigh! I hope you are doing well and I see that your 3 month anniversary was yesterday, so congratulations to you!!

I know that it seems when all the worst has past, that is when I feel I have "permission" to have my breakdowns.
Whether it is a family crisis, work crisis, or with my hip replacements...I put the anxiousness on hold while there was "work" to do...it's when it got to idle stage, that my "feelings" actually had time to surface.
Hugs @SE Florida ...it will indeed pass...get out some today!

@Mojo333, interesting viewpoint. I had to sit back and think, although it didn't take long to realize your thoughts are probably on the mark. The last 2 years my mom really went downhill, and unfortunately pretty needy. She decided to move to a nursing home in Oct. but hadn't done anything to prepare. I realized how alone I was when I had to get all the paperwork prepped for her to get on medicaid. And that left her condo to pack up alone, omg. What a mess and my hip was just getting worse the whole time. I don't think I've come to terms with any of that so am "packing" it away in one of my mental blocks that I've built in my brain, lol. Fast forward to February and surgery. Now it's June and the hubs and I want to move. Realizing how stressful it is just making offers on homes. Plus work. Ok, so now I have too many mental blocks going on at one time. Overload alert. :flabber: That's why I want to go fishing!!! :realing: Sorry for the long vent session. What is your hourly fee? :heehee:

, I just hate to whine when there are so many not doing very well. I have to remember "this too will pass".

Please try not to feel like you don't have a right to reach out simply because others have it worse. Sadly, there will be others who have it worse than us for our entire lives. However, we all get off track occasionally and it not only affects us, but often those around us also. So...you're doing as you should and in attempting to work through whatever is causing you mental anguish, feelings of uncertainty or sadness. It sounds like you've been stuffing a lot and now it's time to begin letting go of all that is holding you back.

While the prospect of re-locating sounds overwhelming and it can be, try to view it as simplyfing and shedding all you don't need. That's the one good thing about moving, we're forced to get rid of "stuff". Keep your eye on the prize of how fulfilling it will be once you're settled in your new home and living your best life with hubs and two new hips.
Don't forget we're here for you!
@SE Florida

Last edited:
I suffered horrible anxiety followed by a very severe depression. This was after the first 6 weeks ( I'm at 8 weeks post op now from L THP ) I couldn't leave the house, kept putting off PT, in general, afraid I'd fall. I kept all the blinds closed. I did good with home health and was walking without assistance after 3 weeks. The depression was a combination of things, but, did it slam me down. I didn't want to bathe, brush my teeth, couldn't ear, couldn't sleep and my hair began to fall out in large clumps. After 6 weeks or so, your friends are getting pretty sick of picking up your groceries and doing your laundry. It took a trip to a psychiatrist, told me this was not abnormal, and try to start my home PT instructions then go in for outpatient PT. I drove my car for the first time to day, and man, did it feel good. I think the lack of PT and making myself homebound, has undone my initial PT and the muscle in the thigh has loss strength. Feels like mush and no muscle. I wondered, did anyone else suffer depression, hair loss, or any emotional issues post op?
(L) THR Nov.23,2015
I feel as if I could have written this myself. Verbatim. I am now going on 12 weeks post-op and although I have started to drive which helps a little, I still feel so much anxiety that I feel like hiding at home, I cancelled physical therapy, and other appointment I may have made. I was familiar with depression/anxiety - but I've been waking up just wanting to cry, shaking, fearful - just a whole bunch of symptoms I did not expect. I also stopped taking showers or didn't feel like it, didn't care to brush my teeth, and well everything that goes along with depression. But the anxiety was frightening to me. I felt like I've gone through some sort of PTSD and I'm not completely out of it. Just want to say that you're not alone and I understand every feeling you went through. I hope you are a lot better now.

Weeping as I read this thread opener. It's day 3 post op and I just spilled a full cup of coffee on my bedroom carpet trying to take my morning meds. Then I screamed at it, and then cried like someone just shot my dog named Old Yeller. Today is my first day alone - my adult daughter lives with me but she went back to work today. While it feels good to be alone again in my apartment and let myself feel all the feels without having to explain it to someone, I recognize that I'm having some emotional disruption. I'm glad that I see that it's normal.

@LoneStrHip So sorry you are suffering from the blues. Very normal and all a part of this recovery I am afraid. Find something to take your mind off all this. Mindless TV or a good chick flick. Your favourite music.

Please know that all this is temporary and that we are here for you.

Aww @SE Florida
So sorry you are suffering too.. you say no rhyme or reason but I think THR is pretty much the reason & the rhyme.
It is such an assault to our body & minds.. both pre-op and post-op. Pain, anxiety, recovery )is it too slow, why does this hurt now, how come some people rock it... how come I’m not!!! All that!!

Thinking of you sweetheart... knowing we all care... hoping your weekend is better for you... [emoji8][emoji3059] Chrissie xx

You just read my mind and wrote out everything that I was thinking. Why do so many people rock it right out of the gate? I saw a video this morning of a man on day 4 strutting up stairs! Like nothing! I can barely pull my sore and swollen leg into the bed without crying.

Why do so many people rock it right out of the gate?
Truth is - they don't! That guy that tried the stairs on day 4 was probably in major pain after filming. There is always the other side of a story. Believe me - we see many examples of this on this board.

Still very early days for you @LoneStrHip !

My Mum was feeling a bit low yesterday so I showed her some of these postings. It’s always better to know you are not alone and what you are feeling is perfectly normal. She seemed to perk up a little after reading @Josephine library topic on post op blues, thank you as always.

Oh my God...this is hard..l have gone from a strong independent woman to a frightened, vulnerable , needy !!!! (That l hate the most ) woman....l live alone ...hasn't bothered me before but...since the failed pins and screws and then THR...now going on for 9 months...l am struggling....doing everything can think of...meditation, reiki , massage etc...but..."the black dog " as Churchill called it is firmly on my shoulders.....flickers of light and then something goes wrong....pain !! Future !! And the feeling that my wonderful cousin and her family (who l am staying with ) are getting "fed up"...on that front ...do cooking , limited cleaning and try to not make too much talk of my condition...Will it get better????....cannot see a bright fut6at the moment....sorry to br soooooo negative , but that's how it is... AND....l am not being defeatist....l just think sometimes...its !!! Stronger than me.....to all of you suffering...l send you a huge hug and X

@Misscarol Please take a deep breath and step back from all the negative. It will get better. Find a more comfortable place and chill out. Tough times followed by healing times. You will get there!

@Misscarol You really will get better but it will take time. Every last one of us here on the forum has been through it. We understand how you feel and will all be here if you need a rant or a cry. Believe me I have had a good old weep all over everyone here. They were all without exception lovely kind and compassionate. Be gentle with yourself.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom