Depression/post-op blues - open for all

Aww, @Yokesgirl
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Unimaginable and so very heartbreaking.
Big hugs to you, sweetie

I am post op with TRHR on July 19th. Everything was fine until I got sick and I got depressed and just had to rest. I had hip repair when I was 10 years old and I was in the hospital for one month. I was in Hospital five days because they had to do more work on it and I have weight restrictions. Than I went to rehab for three days and then home. I had a great experience at the hospital. okay at rehab. I have to remember I am in my fifties and I heal slower now. PT wants to come by but I put them off to next week. I have my next check up on 17th and am planning to get cleared to drive and go back to work.
But I am still down but not as bad. Thanks for being here.

I’m 25 days post op and having my other hip done in 15 more days. I feel less depressed today, but the past week has been rough. All I can think about is how this is the doorway to the last phase of my life (I’m a whopping 62). I sit and think of the things I think will never get resolved and whether I’ll go to Hell when I die (That’s making me laugh right now). It gets much worse, but I’ll leave the negative there. One thing that has helped a tiny bit is that I’m going to decorate my walker before the second surgery. The theme is “”My bucket list.” Some of the things on it are go Jeeping on the Rubicon Trail, attend a surf camp for women, go see my ancestral home near Charleston, SC, USA, resolve my spiritual issues, and go to Glacier National Park in Montana. The depression has delayed my little craft project, but I have most of the decorations sitting ready. I know I won’t need the walker for long (have been off it for over a week this time), but it will be fun to show off next time for awhile. I’m an adventurer at heart and probably wore out my hips with my many previous adventures. I always hide my depression by being a jokester, kind of like an amateur Robin Williams. But I’m determined to endure until the natural end of my life. No one I know would ever guess I’m anything but wildly happy and carefree. Thanks for let me ramble. If I can figure out how, I’ll post pics of my walker when I finish it.

Glad this is being discussed here. The whole week in the hospital after surgery I would break down into crying binges, just depressed and scared over everything. It didn’t help that after two months of caregiving my partner was also at the point of a breakdown and he would yell and I would cry even after I came home. Has calmed down fortunately but you are just not expecting that flood of emotions to hit you.

All I can think about is how this is the doorway to the last phase of my life (I’m a whopping 62).
Well you are a youngster and this is not a doorway but a new beginning. You are going to feel SO much better after your second THR. Hang in there - there is still lots of living to do.
The whole week in the hospital after surgery I would break down into crying binges, just depressed and scared over everything.
This whole process is a roller coaster of emotions. That and post op blues have a major impact. Just know that it is very temporary.

Thank you Jaycee. All I know to do on this roller coaster ride is hang on. It would almost be funny if it didn’t feel so bad at times. In the hospital last time the staff were wonderful. Anesthesia makes me really, really hyper for a few days. I was kind of out of it but I remember making all the nurses laugh, telling jokes at 2 AM, and even saying things that make me cringe now. Then days later when you’re home and alone for the first time, the blues come sliding in like a bow across the violin strings. You just think of bad stuff like the one you loved and lost 40 years ago, the things you wish you hadn’t done, etc. I worked on my walker decorations today and went in to work for a meeting. Pre op tests tomorrow. I’ll do as you suggested and think past the recovery time. By Spring I’ll be going strong! Thanks again for this outlet for my thoughts.

I feel so much younger with new hips.
You are going to feel so much better when this is all behind you @Tennessee1
Alot for your body and emotions to contend with in only a few months time.
Hope today is a good day!:friends:

Pre op tests done. I way overdid it today physically. Apparently I’m doing “amazing” according to all the professionals. I walked a mile a day 7 days a week for 5 years prior to surgery, pain or not. (I walk with my dogs all over our hilly property). Since I’m doing so well and seem to be so happy, I’m now expected to return to full activity and responsibility. And it still takes me 5 minutes just to put on a pair of leggings. Starting tomorrow I’m saying no. I need more than 4 weeks to be “normal. “. Anyone else going through the emotional ups and downs, hang in there. You are not alone!

Greetings to all from Indiana! I've been living with my new hip for about 3 months now. I'm feeling very grateful to have family and super healthcare. I'm scheduled for a left TKR in December. I use a cane when I go out. Sounds odd but I can't determine if my bad left knee or my new hip is to blame for my limp. Time will tell. Doc said the hip had OA. I suspect my shoulder does as well but I'm not ready to go find out just yet. I read all previous posts in this thread and want to say thanks for sharing. Sending good energy to everyone here.

Worst day today by far. Coming up for 5 weeks but a lot of different pain than the last few weeks. Back ache, non operated side hurting more, incision site hurting more. Yes, overdid it walking without aids....but never thought it would be this bad. Had started to cut meds but think again.....progress is slow I know so will accept that just need to air my feelings, sorry to bring you down.
Any blues tune will do:

woke up this morning
pain is everywhere
Hips and legs and back and thighs
No part of me is spared
what am I gonna do
with hip replacement blues

Gonna try me some icing
Elevate and lots of rest
gonna take my medication
that's for the best
Gonna do what I can do
and beat hip replacement blues

gonna be patient
take the time for recovery
not worry about hurrying
Just do the best for me
Bonesmarts told me what to do
To beat the hip replacement blues

Thanks for listening

All Temporary...this became my mantra and sometimes the only way I got through the tough times.
When I joined the ODIC (Overdid It Club) a few times...I assumed ONE day of taking it easy would undo the overdid...unfortunately not the case usually.
Just keep the faith and don't do any more than you have to for the next Week @Jamesdean .
This is the tough part and one month out is prime time for the post op blues and generally just being sick of all if it.
All the best Mojo coming your way!

Last edited:
@Jamesdean, loved your blues song, brother. You channeled some Robert Johnson there. The hip replacement blues.

@Going4fun My guess is that there are about another 150 verses to come, I was hoping that others would add to it. Played it on slide ukulele, sounds good.

Had my hip replaced on November 5th. Dislocated it on the 20th. Spent Thanksgiving in the hospital. Talk about the blues! Today it the 25th and I can't take it already. Where did you find the ODIC?
I'm already wanting to go nuts. Christmas coming and can't even do any decorating.

@Hipgirl511 Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you had a dislocation. Not fun and very scary! But with a little patience you will soon be mobile again.

Can I suggest you go to the hip recovery area and start your own recovery thread. Our members will support you through this process and offer their input on any questions or concerns you might have. Here's a thread on how to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

:hi: @Hipgirl511
Yes, please start a thread.
Another member @Lea61 suffered a dislocation after THR and I'm sure others will have some advice and comfort for you!:roseshwr:

I am struggling with lots of sadness today. I have had struggles off and on throughout my recovery, and it is completely tied to how well I am doing. As time goes on I find the setbacks and bumps in the road harder to cope with. Partly this is due to my perhaps unreasonable expectations an out how far along I would be at 10 weeks. About a week and a half ago I did too much PT (which I’ve now stopped completely!) and have been in pain since, back to sitting on ice and not being able to decorate my house. Hubby asked me to start the Christmas letter, but I’m too sad to do that right now. Honestly, right now I’m regretting having the surgery. I hope this will improve, because that’s a crappy place for your head to be. It doesn’t help that is freezing, and gets dark at 4:30. Anyway, it helps to admit to somebody that I’m not coping very well today. Thank god for my hubby who hugs me when he walks by, and keeps telling me that my hip will stop hurting eventually, cause that is hard for me to believe right now.

Hi @hiphoser that's a real serious case of the blues. Last week I was looking forward to driving for my six week surgeon appointment and now it will be a taxi. Overdid it last Tuesday 9 days ago and since been struggling and the more I read about trochanter, itband, flexor strain, bad implant, loose stem, the more symptoms I get, thanks Dr google. However I made my decision.. I am happy to have had it done, life for the last two years had been 3 days work then 4 days on sofa. I dragged my left leg everywhere and it was really really painful. I am near!y 6 weeks but have decided that if it takes me 12 or 15 weeks then so be it. There was a big leg length difference as well so my body I guess has to cope. When people say to me they were without walk aids and med after a few weeks I say good for them, my recovery is taking longer, body needs more time to adapt. Like my scar, wear it like a badge.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom