Depression BEFORE revision...

ArmyVet

Country
United States United States
I was originally scheduled for a revision on May 22, but there was problems with the paperwork, so it was postponed. It's now rescheduled for June 19, but in the meantime, I am having some BIG TIME trouble with depression!!

I'm already on depression meds, but right now, I don't notice them putting a dent in what I'm dealing with. Is this normal?? I had no depression post op after the original TKR, and to be honest, I don't remember feeling that good mentally in a long time!! WHY is this hitting me NOW??

I'm frustrated, I'm annoyed at everything and everybody, I don't want to go and leave my house, and I'm ready to divorce my husband!!!

What can I do to get rid of this???

@ArmyVet So sorry you have the blues pre-op. Frankly, it can be a very depressing time. Especially when you are now dealing with a delay in your surgery date!

Pain and the exhausting feeling it brings is a real downer. Facing surgery is an anxious time. Pile on trying to deal with daily activities - well I think what you are feeling is totally normal.

Keep posting here - it does help. Do you have friends or a relative who can come visit or perhaps take you out for a short trip somewhere. Keeping busy pre-op can help ease these nerves.

You might want to talk to your family doctor about tweaking your depression meds. These are exceptional days. Time to be good to yourself.

Hi Amy. I agree with Jacey.
Its such a challenge just getting by with painful knees and then to have your surgery postponed adds another challenge (it happened to me).

Clearly you are worried about your feelings of depression. I hope you have a medical health professional who you trust to assist you manage these concerns.
Learning strategies to help you move through this time is certainly possible however its hard when pain and disability are added to the mix.
If it was me I would make a daily plan to look after myself. For me it would include getting enough sleep, reviewing pain management with my doctor and getting everything at home ready for your post op time.
After that I would try to have something I loved happen each day. If that isnt possible for you, you must make sure you are getting help from a competent experienced doctor who understands.
Help and understanding will come from others on this site. Only you can judge if that is enough too get you through. Its wonderful that you are able to express your thoughts. Its a great start. Best wishes xxx

Well one thing you need to do is go tell your GP how you are feeling so he can change your medication. Because it's clear that whatever you are on, you've grown accustomed to and you need a change. As Jaycey said, this is clearly the result of prolonged pre-op stress and pain.

Sorry to hear you're in this fix. That's a lot of stress. I'm not sure what your life looks like work-wise and socially, but the challenges of this coming month certainly call for you taking care of Number 1. Even though you are in the care of an orthopedist, your PCP is still managing your health, so I agree with others encouraging you to go see him or her.

6 days out now. I keep having a nightmare that my OS has removed my tibial component, and while he is implanting the new one with the longer stem, he breaks my tibia.... I TRUST my surgeon. I KNOW he's excellent at what he does. I even like and trust the others in the office that I have contact with-- My surgeon's PA (Kyle) and Charlotte, the nurse!! Why does this keep coming up in my head?? I'm so ready to have this over with!! I even just moved in to a new apartment that's on the FIRST floor, with NO steps whatsoever, so I know this will be easier than the first recovery!!

And, of course, it's back to the "no meds that will thin your blood" time, too! UGH. Is it the 19th yet???

Armyvet, I feel your pain! (in more ways than one) I too am scheduled for surgery on the 19th, TKR. I am an emotional mess. I struggle with all following all the great advice here about prepping and being ready for surgery because I feel so overwhelmed and truly frightened that I just want to cover my head with a blanket and stay in bed never mind freezing meals. Pain in my knee is worse than ever too as I can't even take Advil as surgery looms ahead. My point is that although I am not diagnosed with depression, I am no where near to coping well and you are not alone in that. Let's check in after the 19th, I will be thinking of you and wish you well!!

It's hard to wait for the surgery date, especially as it gets closer. The wait for me was harder with my revision because I knew what was coming, so I know the emotions you're going through. But, to my utter surprise, the recovery with my revision was a walk in the park compared to my original TKR. This wait will soon be behind you and you'll be on the recovery road that will take you to your new life with two good knees. In the meantime, keep busy-it really does help. :console2:

Keep your eye on the prize. The imagination runs wild while you are waiting for surgery. Stay focused on what this revision will bring - a pain free life! Not long now!

I'm waiting for my TKR on July 1 and my anxiety is spiraling out of control too. It's completely normal, even if terribly unpleasant.

Not sleeping makes pain worse, and more pain means less sleep, and all those things contribute to depression.

I've focused on nutrition right now to help my anxiety. I cut back on any sugar and choose fruit when I need something sweet. I find starches relax me and I'm eating a ton of red meat for iron.

Along with Bonesmart wisdom, you might check a site called The Mighty, which deals with various sorts of disabilities, and they have a huge section of articles on depression. Sometimes just knowing you aren't alone really helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom