ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

TKR Dental work beforehand?

MariaB

Country
United States United States
Ok, I’m scheduled Nov 18. since deciding to schedule the tkr, I’ve onoun seen the Tech, and nothing was ever mentioned about dental work. I’ve been long over due for a cleaning and checkup, so I finally got in today. The hygienist only did a ton of xrays and measured the gum pockets (good). Then check up. She didn’t have time to do the cleaning since they did so many xrays (since it had been so long). The dentist commented on a crack (that I’ve had forever - no sign of infection) and a small cavity. He’d like to take care of them and I scheduled the cleaning and dental work for the 10th. They didn’t see any issues with doing this so close to the surgery - their concern was afterwards, and that I’d need antibiotics then. But no concern for doing anything now.
A fb group has be a bit paranoid now - I did call my surgeons office and leave a message, but now I’m worried. It’ll be ok if I have to cancel for post op, but did her checking my gums even create an issue?? Wouldn’t this be similar to flossing? I’m just scared I screwed up and they’ll make me reschedule the surgery. I can’t handle waiting for them to call me - anyone have any experience with this?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@MariaB There is so much debate about dental work pre and post op. First off - don't listen to anything anyone is saying on FB.

I consulted my GP, surgeon and dentist before having any dental work pre-op my RTHR. All said no antibiotics for needed for routine cleaning and procedures.

I even had a major crown fail just days before my LTHR. My dentist put in a temporary crown and I waited until I was released by my surgeon to go back for the permanent one.

If you have a cleaning scheduled I would go for it. That will set you up to wait at least 6 months post op.

OP
OP
M

MariaB

Country
United States United States
Thank you - I did just get a call back from the surgeons office. Funny how they’re all different. He said I’d have to have it done this week - Monday at the latest. Or wait for 3 months after. Haven’t even asked about how he feels about the antibiotics, although my dentist feels it necessary.

too many emotions with this upcoming tkr. I was so excited that I was finally pushed to get my dental work done - and now it’s put off again (They’re booked this week, although I asked to be put on a cancellation list). My fault for not doing it sooner.

update - I talked with the dentist again and am at least getting the cleaning done this Friday.

Last edited:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Although opinions are divided, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), and the American Dental Association (ADA) found that there is insufficient evidence to recommend the routine use of antibiotics for patients with orthopaedic implants to prevent infections prior to having dental procedures because there is no direct evidence that routine dental procedures cause prosthetic joint infections.

Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
pattymac49
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom