THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Think I need to be brutally honest in future and then I won't get annoyed with myself.
Unfortunately many people don't realise how major this surgery is. You are up and dressed and looking like you are "back to normal". At only 3 days out you are not! Probably not a good idea to have guests so soon. Do be brutally honest. You need your rest!

@Delphi glad to hear you are doing well. Hope you get some good sleep. Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hey Delphi good to get an update! Glad you are doing well :) don't underestimate how tired you are going to get! Am still finding it a week on - I do something then have to lie down for a bit! Lovely to have visitors but keep the visits short. Made the same mistake when I got home and sitting there all uncomfortable is awful!! The constipation was one of the worst things for me!!! Lactulose, figs, dates and all bran worked in the end and what a relief lol!!!
Hope the stairs go well today. They are actually ok once you get the hang of them!!
Hope it's a good day for you today - home soon!!
Sam xxxx

I'll echo the rest thing... sitting up isn't pleasant after a while - lying down with leg elevated whenever possible... apart from that, 6 days in and my Leg feels easier to move around - still a dead weight, but easier. Everyday little improvements so stay positive xx

Hi everyone, Happy Tuesday!

Glad to hear about your progress. Happy day 5 for me as I came home from hospital last night and am feeling so much better!

Day 4 yesterday started with horrible muscular spasms in my thigh but I was cheered by my first attempt at stairs - easy peasy going up, just quite difficult coming down as I couldn't get my bad leg to move forward at all without help from the physio. Fast forward an hour, and a visit from a doctor to say that if my X ray to be taken was ok, and I was passed by physio for stairs, that it was possible that I may be allowed to go home if I wished. If I felt I needed an extra day, then that was no problem. Amazing how empowering that was! I managed the stairs better second time around, still ropey coming down, but a big improvement on first go. Then went to X ray feeling quite buoyant. Amazing how emotional this experience makes us - after a difficult manoeuvre onto the X ray table, followed by a painful half hour wait for a porter to bring me back to the ward, I dissolved into tears for the first time in the entire process. I could just feel myself getting sorer and sorer in the wheelchair. I think I was also frustrated that all the complex, skilled stuff had gone so smoothly, and then despite 3 reminders from the staff, such a simple action as a transfer delay could cause such pain. Anyhow, decided to go ,with surgeon's blessing. Very grateful that my stay there was made as comfortable as it was by such dedicated, great staff.

Woke up this morning to a white veil of snow over everything. Beautiful! But given the hair-raising journey up to Wrightington, was very happy not to have the return in snow. I was so pleased to be back home. Have spent the day ensconced on my recliner, icing and relaxing with a fire in the grate, my cat on my lap, and my husband doing his best to sort everything out...Bliss!! I wonder how long this will last?! Long may it continue!

Here's wishing you all a very pleasant, pain-free evening xxx

@Delphi.
Great to hear you are home and doing well.
And encouraging others on the forum.
Onwards and Upwards.
Joe......

Great update! Being home makes all the difference although I did have some concerns leaving the safety of hospital. I was home alone for the first time today. Managed 3 episodes of the Crown on Netflix!

It's great you are home Diane!! I think it helps to be out of hospital, however lovely they are. Nothing like home :)
Sounds like you are doing really well. Down is definitely harder than up on the stairs but it gets easier each day. I am now positively nimble lol!!
I still get the odd really weird muscle spasm in my thigh, usually in the early hours. Very strange feeling and I hope they go away soon.
I managed a walk around the block today. Felt very empowering! And the fresh (cold!) air was lovely. Had to rest afterwards but a great feeling. Each day you will see progress, even little things.
Hope you have a lovely relaxing evening.
Sam xxxx

Good to hear from you Sam. I am in awe of you walking around the block! For me , that would equate to a walk of about 25 mins when I could walk normally, so maybe I will get there in a few weeks if everything goes well. You sound like you are doing so well! Keep up the good work ,
Diane xxx

Sam - are you still on crutches? I do some steps holding on to bits furniture but really need both crutches for stability. Delphi - I've not been outside yet - will try by the weekend xx

Day 6 - Have been posting on @sammylou99 and @ponymad last night and today, so for anyone following my timeline, thought would just summarise the day here.

Had a really bad night painwise last night, just couldn't get comfortable and found the muscle spasms very difficult to handle. Probably a combination of stopping oromorph, running a little late with my meds and somehow it being worse during the night when you just can't sleep. Thankfully, eventually managed to get a couple of hours sleep and today am back to positive thinking! Amazing how that goes out of the window in those wee small hours! Have eaten and taken meds regularly today, so let's hope that was a blip.

Have done very little today and actually went back to bed for a few hours to read and relax . Got a shower chair and non slip mat from Argos and they have been really useful. Both gave me confidence to step into the cubicle with crutches. Small steps, but 2 days ago I couldn't move the foot of my bad leg forward independently and I can now step over a 5 inch lip into the shower. Am doing ankle pumps at rest and using 2 crutches to walk to bathroom and bedroom, but really taking it very easy so far. Having had the experience of dislocating and breaking ankle and leg ( same one! ) a few years ago, I have already gone through an extended recovery process and I definitely found it to be a case of slowly, slowly, catch the monkey then. Plenty of time ahead of me now to gradually increase my daily walking, but for the time being, I am focused on trying to heal as well as possible.

Hope you all have a good evening x

Sounds like you're recovering well so far Delphi, that's great. Nice that you're able to recognize the little things and realize that you're already improving (conquering the 5 inch lip)! Slow and steady wins the race... I am afraid that I'm going to have a hard time being patient with the recovery when it's my turn!

• Friendly
Reactions: AWS
Hi @Josephine
Hope you are well. Just wondering if you can give me some advice please? When I left hospital on Monday, was given Paracetamol and told to take 4x 1000mg daily (every 6 hrs )along with Codeine Phosphate 4 x 60 mg at same time. Also taking 2 x 2.5 mg Apixaban daily for blood thinning. Just checked the Codeine pack to see if I needed to order more from Doctor ( takes 4 days on av. to get prescription ) as only have 1 day supply left at that dosage after tonight. Leaflet says do not take for more than 3 days. Is it safe to take if I can get more , or do I need to stop tomorrow? Had a bad night last night so was thinking just Paracetamol might not be enough.
Thanks for your help.

Oh, I've never seen that on a leaflet! I know people who have been using it for months and even years for things like chronic back pain and etc. Don't give it another thought - get your script refilled.

Sam - are you still on crutches? I do some steps holding on to bits furniture but really need both crutches for stability. Delphi - I've not been outside yet - will try by the weekend xx

@ponymad yes am on one crutch in the house and when I go out to walk I take two as am too nervous to just use one yet! Find I can go without the one crutch for short distances but I feel worried without it so not giving up the crutches yet!! Much better pain wise this week though which is a real relief. Hope you're doing well?
Sam x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Day 8 for me and had a good day... Delphi - I agree that the little improvements are so noticeable, a 5" lip is just great! I don't like the nights either, much harder, try the pillow if you aren't using one yet and I hope you have a good sleep xx

Thanks @ponymad. Will try it tonight. My meds aren't due til 12.30 and don't feel tired yet, so hoping will sleep when I eventually take them. Did you cut down your daytime doses first? Have felt ok this evening, but after last night, didn't want to trial reduced meds at night.
Glad to hear that you have had a good day today - hope it continues tonight and tomorrow xx

I'm only taking paracetamol and ibuprofen - the stronger pain killers really didn't agree with me and the pain is now tolerable. Oh to have 7-8 hours sleep and to be able to move around!! It will come and just imagine - no more arthritic pain!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks