THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Good to hear from you... I've had portion for itchiness. I hope you get some sleep. I'm zoning in and out!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi @ponymad and all the other kind people on this site. I have found your support over these last few days incredibly helpful, both in distracting me from my fears and in providing such useful info. We had a hairy start to the day as the journey up the M6 was quite frightening due to the very high winds and flying debris. The car roof trim also came away as we drove.
The surgery was delayed until about 3.30. All the staff have been absolutely lovely across the board. I had a spinal and sedation- propofol I think. The anaesthetist was careful to explain that he could not guarantee that I would stay asleep during surgery, (my biggest fear was waking) but that he would monitor me carefully to keep me zoned out. A few difficulties with the spinal but not too painful. Thankfully only woke at the end. Think it lasted about 2 hrs 15 but not spoken to surgeon yet to find out details. The doctor in recovery said everything was fine. Seem to have massive dressing but there is a drain so don't know how long the scar is yet.
Have had a lovely cup of tea and cheese sandwich. Feeling just starting to come back into feet and legs. Also feeling itchy and a bit nauseous but have just been given gabapentin and anti- nausea tablet. Itchiness side effect of Diamorphine injected into Joint to help pain relief apparently. Not in pain, just stating to feel a bit achey, but nurse has given me an IV of paracetamol. Due to have OxyContin at midnight, and can request Oxynorm for breakthrough pain if needed. Feeling decidedly queasy now. Grateful and very glad to be on this side x

@Delphi. Oh my! The weather! You are through to the other side:) Get the ice packs on, keep up on the pain meds. The anti nausea meds will help. You did it! Rest and take good care.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Good to hear from you... I've had portion for itchiness. I hope you get some sleep. I'm zoning in and out!

Sounds like you are doing well. So good to hear you are zoning in and out!

@Delphi , I'm so glad you are on the other side. It sounds like you are doing great. Congratulations.
I will look for your post tomorrow. Prayers for a goodnight.☺

Hi @ponymad and all the other kind people on this site. I have found your support over these last few days incredibly helpful, both in distracting me from my fears and in providing such useful info. We had a hairy start to the day as the journey up the M6 was quite frightening due to the very high winds and flying debris. The car roof trim also came away as we drove.
The surgery was delayed until about 3.30. All the staff have been absolutely lovely across the board. I had a spinal and sedation- propofol I think. The anaesthetist was careful to explain that he could not guarantee that I would stay asleep during surgery, (my biggest fear was waking) but that he would monitor me carefully to keep me zoned out. A few difficulties with the spinal but not too painful. Thankfully only woke at the end. Think it lasted about 2 hrs 15 but not spoken to surgeon yet to find out details. The doctor in recovery said everything was fine. Seem to have massive dressing but there is a drain so don't know how long the scar is yet.
Have had a lovely cup of tea and cheese sandwich. Feeling just starting to come back into feet and legs. Also feeling itchy and a bit nauseous but have just been given gabapentin and anti- nausea tablet. Itchiness side effect of Diamorphine injected into Joint to help pain relief apparently. Not in pain, just stating to feel a bit achey, but nurse has given me an IV of paracetamol. Due to have OxyContin at midnight, and can request Oxynorm for breakthrough pain if needed. Feeling decidedly queasy now. Grateful and very glad to be on this side x

Ah so good to hear you are out the other side Diane! The nausea is normal I think while recovering and getting the pain meds right. I'm feeling a lot better now I'm off all the opiate meds but they certainly help with the pain relief. Also the iv paracetemol worked so quickly. Hope you got some sleep last night and weren't too uncomfortable.
Can't believe you had to go to the hospital in Storm Doris btw!! It was so windy here. Glad you got there ok!
Take care and hope all is going ww on the "other side"
Sam xx

Hi everyone.
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Had an ok night, not much sleep with all the obs and medication, but equally, virtually no pain other than achiness in the joint area. I am amazed by that. Saw the anaesthetist and surgeon this morning, both lovely. Surgeon said lots of arthritis and fluid in joint causing the pain. Told me my legs are equal length- hurray! And that they had to use a very long dressing as had no shorter ones! Double hurray! He said incision is about 8 or 9 inches in a curve.

Had wash and breakfast then physio. Got up on crutches but could only take 4 or 5 steps due to feeling dizzy and nauseous. They said they would try again with me later to get me into the chair. Feeling better now in bed after an anti nausea pill. The sun is shining today - what a change! There is a tree outside my room with bird- feeders so have had a procession of little visitors to entertain me.

To those awaiting surgery, do not be afraid. I was incredibly nervous and worried but the whole experience has been easier than I anticipated. So far, so good! Possibly still have remnants of anaesthetic in hip joint so will see how it goes later. Still on OxyContin and Paracetemol which seems to be doing the trick.

Massive thanks to all involved in my care and support. I am incredibly grateful.
Diane xxx

Sam,
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hope you have a good day
Diane x

Great news. Continue slow and steady and all will be fine.

Hi everyone,
Managed to sit out in chair for nearly 2 hrs but pain has definitely increased in leg despite painkillers. Finding it very difficult to walk on bad leg even with crutches. When did that start getting better / easier for other people please?
Otherwise feeling ok albeit very tired . Thanks .

Hi everyone,
Managed to sit out in chair for nearly 2 hrs but pain has definitely increased in leg despite painkillers. Finding it very difficult to walk on bad leg even with crutches. When did that start getting better / easier for other people please?
Otherwise feeling ok albeit very tired . Thanks .

Ah Diane you are so early into it. I found it all pretty painful until today when there was a real improvement. The heavy dead leg feeling is a lot better too although I still have to move my leg manually to get in and out of bed. I think day 2/3 were the hardest and today I can see much more improvement. Just take it slowly. My OS said that days 2/3 are often tough days and not to get frustrated. Rest as much as you can and keep your pain meds up. I missed some meds yesterday as I'd forgotten whether I'd taken them or not and boy was I sore - not good, so am writing down when I take them now. I just take the stairs very slowly. Today they were much less of a marathon than yesterday. Hope you get some sleep tonight and that you are not too sore.
Sam xxxx

Thanks Sam. That makes me feel better. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day xx

Hi @Delphi - sounds like you are doing ok, keep on top of meds though, pain relief is vital in my opinion! I didn't sleep well at all in hospital, first night at home this evening. No looking forward to it. when will you going home? Xx

Hi @ponymad. Hope you are doing better today. Day 2 for me, a day of two halves. This morning I had the drain removed which was quite excruciating. The nurse told me it wouldn't hurt but I nearly hit the roof as she pulled it out! After that, sat out but I think probably too soon after the drain removal, as I became very woozy and nauseous again. Back to bed for a sleep and then a sandwich. This afternoon, physio got me up again and I actually walked to the bathroom which was a major improvement. Sat out for a couple of hours and even put on a bit of make-up for my visitors - that's a first! Still not had a bowel movement despite orange juice and fruit. Any tips anyone? According to my husband, although my leg is not too swollen, my backside would give Kim Kardashion's a run for her money! Luckily I can't see it !!!
The nurse said I would go home when I have managed a b.m. And mastered the stairs... possibly Mon or Tue, I think xx

I still haven't managed a BM - it's the opiates! Gave me a few Movicom's inhidpitsl and I am having senokot at home. I've had s couple of naps and a quiet day, icing and elevating works - not sure why they don't do that in hospital? If you need to lie down - lie down... I struggled in the chair on my day 2. It is so much nicer to be home but a little tempting to do too much - take care!

Looks like you need your recovery articles on this thread. I'll post them here for you to refer to during this journey.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks @Jaycey for the info. Will peruse it all tonight.
@ponymad, thanks for the advice on what to take.
Day 3 has been similar in some respects to Day 2 - quite a bit of pain during the night, helped by Oramorph, then switched meds to 60mg Codeine plus the paracetamol and gabapentin. Not a good morning, but then surprisingly more energy this afternoon and I managed to walk about 20 m down the corridor on crutches and back again without too much trouble. Then had visitors so sat out for 2 and a half hrs - was trying to be polite, but it was just too much for me and I eventually said I needed to go to the loo and get back in bed. It's a lesson for me as I knew I was getting more and more uncomfortable, feeling sore and irritated that they didn't take my hints to go. Think I need to be brutally honest in future and then I won't get annoyed with myself. It's lovely to see people and I was grateful that they had made the effort to come and see me, but I guess they're not mind readers and at this stage, short and sweet is definitely the way to go for visits. Lying in bed, watching TV now, so feeling a lot more chilled... Stairs beckon tomorrow, so will perhaps go home in another day or two.
Hope all you others recently through on the other side are having a relaxing evening and keeping the pain well under control. How's it going for you, Sam?
Have a good evening everyone xx

Thanks @Jaycey for the info. Will peruse it all tonight.
@ponymad, thanks for the advice on what to take.
Day 3 has been similar in some respects to Day 2 - quite a bit of pain during the night, helped by Oramorph, then switched meds to 60mg Codeine plus the paracetamol and gabapentin. Not a good morning, but then surprisingly more energy this afternoon and I managed to walk about 20 m down the corridor on crutches and back again without too much trouble. Then had visitors so sat out for 2 and a half hrs - was trying to be polite, but it was just too much for me and I eventually said I needed to go to the loo and get back in bed. It's a lesson for me as I knew I was getting more and more uncomfortable, feeling sore and irritated that they didn't take my hints to go. Think I need to be brutally honest in future and then I won't get annoyed with myself. It's lovely to see people and I was grateful that they had made the effort to come and see me, but I guess they're not mind readers and at this stage, short and sweet is definitely the way to go for visits. Lying in bed, watching TV now, so feeling a lot more chilled... Stairs beckon tomorrow, so will perhaps go home in another day or two.
Hope all you others recently through on the other side are having a relaxing evening and keeping the pain well under control. How's it going for you, Sam?
Have a good evening everyone xx

@Delphi. Oh boy! I was fortunate that my hospital was 3 hrs away. I did not want visitors! Also when you get home, please speak up and only have short visits, if any at all. That first week at home for me was resting, icing, elevating, take meds on schedule ( set a timer at night). It needs to be all about you. Take good care!

@Delphi. Oh boy! I was fortunate that my hospital was 3 hrs away. I did not want visitors! Also when you get home, please speak up and only have short visits, if any at all. That first week at home for me was resting, icing, elevating, take meds on schedule ( set a timer at night). It needs to be all about you. Take good care!

@Delphi. Also, the hospital gave me a laxative. I used Merilax stool softener, ate prunes and drank prune juice. I snacked on as many fruits and veggies I could get down. This will be an issue every day you are on opiates. So plan this for some time.

Thanks @opie. I laughed when you said you didn't want visitors - I was feeling a bit like that too! Still, glad that some of my friends wanted to make the journey up here - thought I had bored them all rigid with tales of my hip problems beforehand, without coming here for more!
Hope things are starting to run more smoothly for you now and that you are making good progress x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back