THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Delphi

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Just setting up my Recovery thread for my RTHR ( posterior ) tomorrow. Just looked at the weather forecast and uh, oh, Storm Doris is on it's way in with up to 80 mph winds and heavy rain and sleet at the precise time we will be driving up to Wrightington. Perfect timing! Having said that, the forecast is wrong more often than it's right these days, so hoping it's another case of wild exaggeration! Have not been sleeping much, worrying about tomorrow, but that said, have taken comfort from the post-op reports from @JenJuniper, @ponymad and @sammylou99 in the last few days. To various degrees, they have all come through with flying colours and have helped to calm me down. I keep thinking to myself, well, what's the alternative? Over the last few years I have slowly morphed from a very social,active, energetic travel addict into a very sedentary couch potato. That is definitely not the way I want my life to be. Carpe Diem! Let's hope it all goes to plan!

Ah Delphi was thinking of you with Storm Doris!! Hope tomorrow goes really well for you. I am now day two, had a great nights sleep and am most likely going home this afternoon! Feeling so much better. Really you will feel great to be on the other side of this. Yes it's a little sore at wound site but honestly nothing like that bone pain from before and as my OS said last night every day this pain will get a bit better until suddenly you will be pain free. I, like you, became a couch potato last couple of months so let's look forward to enjoying the spring/summer!!
Will be thinking of you
Sam xxx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks so much for that Sam. So pleased that you had a good night's sleep and are feeling better. Have you managed to do much activity yet? Was it very difficult? Is your pain fully under control now? One reason I struggled a bit with the decision to go ahead was that the pain has been intermittent, but it's actually ramped up over the last few weeks, so I guess the timing is right.
Hope today goes well for you and that you manage to get home. I'm sure it will be a lot easier to relax there. Will keep in touch to see how you are getting on
Diane xx

@Delphi - good luck tomorrow! I had some sleep last night, some pain but just had first Physio session. Not stood yet though. I did think I couldn't go through with it and I probably could've waited a few years but the thought of getting more and more sedentary and painful spurred me on. Looking forward to getting back to normal life without hip pain soon!

Good luck tomorrow @Delphi! Diane. I too had last minute anxiety thinking 'I'll just ask the surgeon to look at the x ray one more time to check he really thinks I need the op' [emoji23] by the time I got in there and the pre op stuff started, I didn't have time to worry about anything!
I'm now 1 week and 1 day. Just on paracetamol every 5 hours now. No pain as such just achy a little in leg bones.. like growing pains.
Sleeping as normal, and just doing very little [emoji51]. I can see why some people feel like they want to do so much so quickly, as I feel like I 'could' but my surgeons words keep ringing in my ears about preserving my hip now for a better long term recovery!

Great positive thought from @sammylou99... to look forward to being active for spring and summer (cheered me up as I looked at the rain falling outside my window!)

Happy healing thoughts for your recovery! [emoji16]

Good luck tomorrow @Delphi! Diane. I too had last minute anxiety thinking 'I'll just ask the surgeon to look at the x ray one more time to check he really thinks I need the op' [emoji23] by the time I got in there and the pre op stuff started, I didn't have time to worry about anything!
I'm now 1 week and 1 day. Just on paracetamol every 5 hours now. No pain as such just achy a little in leg bones.. like growing pains.
Sleeping as normal, and just doing very little [emoji51]. I can see why some people feel like they want to do so much so quickly, as I feel like I 'could' but my surgeons words keep ringing in my ears about preserving my hip now for a better long term recovery!

Great positive thought from @sammylou99... to look forward to being active for spring and summer (cheered me up as I looked at the rain falling outside my window!)

Happy healing thoughts for your recovery! [emoji16]

@Delphi. Can't wait to hear how happy you are to be on the other side! I am 3 weeks post op for my double hippie. I, too, was a shadow of myself. I walked to the mailbox yesterday! It's snowy here in northern Michigan. My kids and grandson will be here next week and I will be right out there with them! Last time we rented a wheelchair so I could go where they went. Not this time:) You will be great! I spent a lot of time on the forum the first week. I got such good support and had questions that got answered no matter what time it was. Can't wait to hear from you! Take good care!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Thank you all for being so supportive. Hearing about your rapid progress @JenJuniper and @opie is very reassuring. I know we all heal at different rates but to only be on Paracetamol after a week sounds incredible. And to be walking out in the snow after 3 wks opie is also amazing. Just watch you don't slip! I think I would be terrified to be out on snow after the op, but I guess your confidence grows as you improve. This is what we have to look forward to @ponymad! Wishing you all continued healing. Hope I do as well as you have xxx

Delphi.
Best wishes tomorrow.
See you on the other side.
Joe...........

AWS, thanks for your good wishes. I see that you are due to have your op on the 28th so not too long to wait now. Hope it all goes well.

Delphi. Best wishes for a smooth and complete recovery. I follow you in two weeks

Thanks Krista and Chardonnay for your kind wishes. Just had a phone call to say that the op will now be later in the day. Was hoping to get it out of the way early on, but obviously the surgery list has changed. Never mind, I will just have to be patient!

Thanks Krista and Chardonnay for your kind wishes. Just had a phone call to say that the op will now be later in the day. Was hoping to get it out of the way early on, but obviously the surgery list has changed. Never mind, I will just have to be patient!

Oh how annoying that happened to me too. Got there at 12.30 didn't have op til 5, was so annoying as was just killing time worrying lol! But you will just go to bed afterwards and get up the next morning most likely so not too bad!
I am home now just with paracetamol and ibuprofen and some aspirin so pretty good going! Feel tired but elated. Sore to sit down and get up but that will only get better.
Sleep well tonight!
All the best,
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Sam, that is such good news. I didn't think for one minute that you would be just on paracetamol and ibuprofen by now. Have they given you anything stronger in case you need it tonight? Hope you get a good night's sleep back in your own bed. You are doing brilliantly! DIane x

@Delphi Also checking in to wish you all the best. This is such a supportive site; I am sure there is not someone here who can't answer any questions afterwards and keep you on the road to recovery!

@Delphi..... thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts of healing! My THR is Friday. So glad you will be all done and looking ahead to good health!

Hi Delphi - are you through the other side yet?

Hi @ponymad and all the other kind people on this site. I have found your support over these last few days incredibly helpful, both in distracting me from my fears and in providing such useful info. We had a hairy start to the day as the journey up the M6 was quite frightening due to the very high winds and flying debris. The car roof trim also came away as we drove.
The surgery was delayed until about 3.30. All the staff have been absolutely lovely across the board. I had a spinal and sedation- propofol I think. The anaesthetist was careful to explain that he could not guarantee that I would stay asleep during surgery, (my biggest fear was waking) but that he would monitor me carefully to keep me zoned out. A few difficulties with the spinal but not too painful. Thankfully only woke at the end. Think it lasted about 2 hrs 15 but not spoken to surgeon yet to find out details. The doctor in recovery said everything was fine. Seem to have massive dressing but there is a drain so don't know how long the scar is yet.
Have had a lovely cup of tea and cheese sandwich. Feeling just starting to come back into feet and legs. Also feeling itchy and a bit nauseous but have just been given gabapentin and anti- nausea tablet. Itchiness side effect of Diamorphine injected into Joint to help pain relief apparently. Not in pain, just stating to feel a bit achey, but nurse has given me an IV of paracetamol. Due to have OxyContin at midnight, and can request Oxynorm for breakthrough pain if needed. Feeling decidedly queasy now. Grateful and very glad to be on this side x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back