THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Last night of the holiday and Happy to be watching the wonderful Niall Rodgers at Glastonbury, followed by the equally great Ed Sheeran . Feeling very lucky to be so fortunate in my life.. x

Wow, congrats at 40th anniversary Diane, how lovely. You must have been a babe in arms!! Enjoy celebrating!! It's been quite a year, so lots to celebrate :)
Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi Diane, @Delphi

We did a city break in Lisbon last year (in between my hip ops!) and spent a day in Cascais, which is where we are going in September. Really looking forward to it - hope my new hip bears up ...

I see you are from the NW. I grew up on the Fylde coast, although now have lived away for longer than I lived there

Best wishes
Peter

Lovely place, Peter. Used to work here many moons ago and the people are still as lovely. Friends of our's lived in Thornton Cleveleys for a good while so we know the Fylde coast quite well. We are on the outskirts of South Liverpool . IT's a great place, despite it's publicity! Trick is to not believe everything you hear in the press!
Best wishes
Diane

Delphi.
What a brilliant flurry of posts.
I'm delighted your enjoying Portugal and its many delights.
Its my favourite destination. What area did you stay.
I'm over a year since my hips and I've been to Portugal 3 times.
Each time we go I can do a bit more.
Life is for living.
Where you can.
When you can.
Keep Well Delphi.
Joe.....

Morning Joe,
We are staying in Quinta Do Lago, first at a house in Lakeside that we rent from an Irish family, and now for this last week at Sao Lourenco. It's such a great place, I never tire of it, and for somebody who used to travel for 4 months of the year with my job, that's saying a lot!!
Diane

Hi @Delphi great to hear from you!
We've also stayed at Sao lorenco 2 years ago and loved it! (Other half is golf mad! ) talking about golf, I have been known to play a little over the years, but haven't been brave enough to try since the op so well done you for having a go, even though it has left you with a little pain. I still get the odd twinge from time to time and find that a regular sports massage/stretching by a therapist at my gym keeps everything in check... maybe worth a try?
I'm also enjoying the sun as I'm away in Mijas, Spain at the moment, and like you swimming every day is making me feel fab!

Great to hear you are on par with us on recovery now.... see, we all get there.! Well done for keeping a positive outlook through your this journey and sticking at it! [emoji106]
Hello to @sammylou99 too while I'm passing through!!
Take care xx

Hi @JenJuniper , great to hear from you and glad that you also have managed to get away for a sunshine break. It is definitely what the doctor ordered!! Never been to Mijas. Do you recommend it? Have been to Marbella, Benahavis and Nerja in that region a long time ago but didn't get to Mijas.
@sammylou99 mentioned that she has had good results from massage too so perhaps I will give it a go. The lump has mostly settled down again although sitting in the aeroplane seat didn't do it much good!
How are you doing back at work? Hope your return has gone smoothly.
Enjoy the sun while you can. It's been pouring down here since I got back.....
Take care,
Diane xxx

@Delphi yes the massage helps a lot but I have to say it is not the most pleasant massage I've ever had! I still get them every now and then to break down the hardness around the incision. Not fun when she's doing it but feels soooo much better afterwards!
@JenJuniper great to hear your news! Sounds like all us going well, am so glad!
If you think where we all were 4 months ago I would say we are doing pretty well!!
Diane, you have come back to some lovely weather!!! But my lawn is brown so hopefully the rain will turn it green again!
Take care fellow hippies,
Sam xxxx

lol you're right @sammylou99 not a relaxing massage by any means!!!! But yes so beneficial!! I took some time to gain confidence in the therapist as I was scared (not to do with how they were!) but it is 'different' and understanding the mild discomfort at the time does give results!
@Delphi ... Partners parents have a house here in mijas so come here for a bit of sun, and am ashamed to say we don't really explore the area, however it's great for golf and old mijas is beautiful!
Still on reduced hours at work, and they have got me a standing desk which is great and I'm very lucky, which enables any hours I do, not to be detrimental to my recovery.
I agree totally with you Sam, only 4 months out and we are all in such a great place. It's lovely to hear [emoji16] x

Hi @sammylou99

I am eight weeks out today and have been thinking about a massage for a while. My wife put me in touch with an acupuncturist who was vg. She (the acupuncturist!) also does "deep" massages. When did you have your first one?

I have been rubbing Aveeno into the incision area and tried to loosen it a bit myself, but I think it needs a more professional approach

Thanks and best wishes
Peter

Hi @PS46 congrats on 8 weeks - it was from then on I felt so much better!!
I started the massage around 7 or 8 weeks I think and have had it every week. I do also rub the area myself with a tennis ball as suggested by my physio which also helps. The massage is great afterwards - really relieves the tightness. My physio does the massage. It's really all I go to her for now. I would make sure you have it done by someone experienced with post hip replacement massage.
Hope you're doing well.
Wish the sun would come back!
All the best,
Sam

Hi @sammylou99

That's helpful thanks. I have an acupuncture appointment with her next week and I was going to ask her what experience she has of hip replacement work - if not whether she could recommend somebody

Yes, doing fine thanks. I have no real pain at all from the hip, other than a bit of tightness around the wound and have had a sore knee on the operated side too. That seems to be settling down with a combination of ice/rest/walking and IT band self massage as taught by my physio

I don't use a stick at home now and not very often these days when I am out. I do take a stick with me on those occasions, but more as a deterrent and a plea for patience and understanding!

This weather is dire. We are going to Wimbledon a week on Tuesday and I just hope we see an improvement before then

Best wishes and thanks again
Peter

Hi Peter @PS46,
Hope you have a great trip to Wimbledon, and that the sun comes out again for you!
Hi Sam, @sammylou99 , how did you find the Physio you go to? Was she recommended by your hospital? As you say , important to find someone who is experienced with hip replacements,
Diane x

Hi Diane @Delphi yes, she was recommended by my OS office. Does lots of work with hip and knee replacements. She is amazing. Does not have me doing anything over the top. Just helped straighten my gait which is now completely straight :) and the massage which is very specific - she kneads the knots away and it really does feel great....afterwards!! I do think a general masseuse would not be the right way to go for this kind of massage - it seems very specific.
Off for a rainy dog walk now!! Come back summer!! Am off to Wimbledon next week too. Am very excited but will be taking a cushion for all that sitting!!
Sam xxx

Lucky you! I have never been, because we are normally away those weeks, but would love to go. Maybe next year! Yes, I would definitely take a cushion - you need to be comfortable sitting for that length of time. I am off into town to meet a friend for a tapas lunch. Enjoy your walk!
Diane xxx

I'm also in the market for a cushion @sammylou99 - inflatable I guess - where did you acquire yours? We enter the ballot every year and are offered tickets two out of three years roughly. My wife (tennis fanatic) also joined the LTA in order to enter their draw!

Enjoy the tapas Diane, @Delphi - my favourite meal - accompanied by a glass of Cava. Never had it in Liverpool, although I can see the similarities ... !

Peter

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks